LegacyGT.com

IPT Valve Body

fishbone

I guess what matters the most is, in all honesty, the tranny feels like it first did at stock levels when it wasn't being pushed to the limits with the increased in power. It gave me the confidence back to actually have fun with this car. I'm no longer feeling as if there's a carton of eggs under my gas pedal that I have to watch out for. I'll run her through gears tomorrow and let you know how I feel. Is it a need for Stage 2? I don't necessarily think so. It depends on how you drive, it depends on how it feels for you, it depends in what conditions you drive it. If you're pushing the boundary of Stage 2, I'd get it. I'm definitely not reticent anymore to get a pro-tune now and get the most out of the car at my current hardware set-up. And I also feel the tranny now will do just fine at a moderate Stage 3 set-up.

Opinions what I should do about those damn 3.5 quarts of wrong fluid? I asked the Subie master tech at the dealer and he said even though he would have used the right stuff, I shouldn't worry about it. Nevertheless, I wrote to SOA explaining the situation. God damn dealer. Everything went smooth, the shipping, the install, everything, except for their incompetence.

Shop charged me $160 for the uninstall and reinstall. Not bad. All in all the total cost for me, ATF and all, was right around $1200

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting, i think i understand what you mean by the 'back to stock' feeling. i got that after my first bg flush.

do you feel differences in each mode? i vaguely recall that 'back to stock' feeling being really prominent in the 1-2-3 of 'D' especially.

how does it feel in manual mode?

thanks for posting prices, it helps to see the real deal.

So far, yes, it's made a difference. I'll get an even better idea tomorrow when I redline them gears :D

I hit my rev limiter few times in auto mode and didn't push that far in manual mode :D

I loved the part on passing without downshifting :lol:

do you feel differences in each mode? i vaguely recall that 'back to stock' feeling being really prominent in the 1-2-3 of 'D' especially.

You're right, 1-2-3 are the most prominent, but 4-5 is also different. Up until now I could barely feel the shifts and it made me worry my 5EAT was about to fail "from the top down" like it did for a few here. I can definitely tell now each gear engages by watching the revs. Yes, the shifts are snappy in both D and manual. Haven't tried Sport yet.

how does it feel in manual mode?

Better than before. It "drops" into gear right away.

thanks for posting prices, it helps to see the real deal.

Short of driving to IPT, I don't see how anyone would be getting away with this for under $1000 at the very least.

I hit my rev limiter few times in auto mode and didn't push that far in manual mode :D

I loved the part on passing without downshifting :lol:

I hope you mean before the IPT. Bangin' the limiter 1st to 2nd was definitely a reason for the upgrade. That shit better be gone :lol:

You're right, 1-2-3 are the most prominent, but 4-5 is also different. Up until now I could barely feel the shifts and it made me worry my 5EAT was about to fail "from the top down" like it did for a few here. I can definitely tell now each gear engages by watching the revs. Yes, the shifts are snappy in both D and manual. Haven't tried Sport yet.

Better than before. It "drops" into gear right away.

Short of driving to IPT, I don't see how anyone would be getting away with this for under $1000 at the very least.

i went to IPT with a 25 dollar coupon and it still cost me 1200 bucks. im surprised you havent redlined it yet. my way home from IPT was a redline fest 2009. i was the only one who showed up though.

I hope you mean before the IPT. Bangin' the limiter 1st to 2nd was definitely a reason for the upgrade. That shit better be gone :lol:

there is still that electronic delay but yes the delay from shifting that causes you to hit the limiter is gone. hey at least it isnt like my wifes 2.5i that will automatically shift at redline for you if you forget your in sport mode

Does IPT need info about your mods, your driving "style", whether or not you track,auto cross, drag strip, etc. in order to do a suitable VB mod for your car?

If so, fishbone, what info did you provide to IPT to help them mod your VB?

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

Mods are completely irrelevant. There is only one way to mod the VB and IPT will just go with that. I had asked them myself about different levels and/or manners of modding and the answer was no, they have already figured out the most that can be done without interfering with the TCU and electrical system. So basically, no info needed, you ship the valve body and that's it.

You're probably going to laugh at me, but I actually called IPT today and talked to Ty, just to let them know that I am happy with the work they've done and the VB mod is everything that I've expected. He said not many customers follow-up and he's happy that I did and thanked me. l also told him that as opposed to what other people feel, I do notice a difference even in day to day driving, not just WOT. He told me that it's impossible to not tell the difference even at partial throttle provided all the work that goes in the valve body.

Then I contacted SOA about the 4EAT vs 5EAT fluid and was disappointed to get the usual corporate BS: we recommed that you use 5EAT fluid exclusively, you should flush as soon as you can, blah blah blah. The rep was not able to tell me what the difference is.

Does anyone here have any info on the difference between 4EAT and 5EAT OEM ATF? Do I really have to spend another hundred some dollars to have it flushed, or am I going to be OK with 3.5 quarts of the 4EAT fluid in there? Come on, I know one of you has to know this stuff.

At this point I don't know if I can trust my dealer with a flush, since they don't seem to know the damn difference between the two fluids, short of the Subaru tech.

i would just do a drain and fill with the 5eat stuff. your not gonna get all of the 4eat stuff out but im sure there will be so little left in the system that it wouldnt make a difference. hell do another drain and fill after about a week. i wouldnt waste my money on a flush just for 3.5 quarts of fluid

I think that's what I'm gonna do, and sure as hell there won't be issues with just 2 thousand miles. I'm gonna go about my trip and not worry about it for now.

What a collosal waste of money. I would have let it go if it was the first time, an honest mistake. But this has been the THIRD time I was given the wrong ATF, the first two times I actually took notice right there and then so never left the parts department. I'm going to have a conversation with the manager. The monkeys behind the parts counter don't differentiate between the two formulations.

Oh, and I just got off the phone with the dealer, just out of curiosity I had inquired about the cost of a flush. I was told SOA doesn't recommend flushes and the ATF should just be drained. And that's not the answer I got a month ago when I had called, I did get a quote on price of a power flush. Seems every time I'm told something different.

*sigh*

I give up

what ive realized is that subaru is a bunch of morons. ive been doing drain and fills on my last 3 cars and ive had no tranny issues so just stick with it unless your changing to a completly new fluid like amsoil.

nice, another person with the VB mod. this is making the drive down to the dirty jerz more appealing to me. just gotta save up some extra cash to drop on it.

sorta OT, but what are your thoughts about the tranny mount? I thought about doing it but read people didnt think it was worth it...you seem to be very conscious of your transmission so you might have some good thoughts on it...

the mount def. lets you feel more of the transmission at the cost of some noise and vibration. really now that i have the vb i was thinking of taking it out. in the summertime its fine but in the winter on a cold morning the car vibrates like its gonna fall apart. id hate to try out the race version of it. in summer i dont even notice its there

nice, another person with the VB mod. this is making the drive down to the dirty jerz more appealing to me....

Don't bother driving down there...I can help you take it out and re-install it. Done it enough times and happy to help if you have a garage.

Archived