LegacyGT.com

IPT Valve Body

fishbone

That packing job looks great, you should have no problems short of a plane crash. IPT mentioned to me the many VB's that they get rattling around loosely in boxes resulting in them being smashed to hell.

You definitely didn't miss anything by letting someone else pull the VB, it's a heck of a messy job. On the first attempt, it's more like taking a bath in trans fluid until you learn where fluid can suddenly pour out (and a good opportunity to come up with some new creative expletive combinations while taking said bath). Not to mention that trying to reinstall the VB is pretty awkward since that thing gets pretty heavy while trying to support it and start the first few bolts.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of fluid ... man, my mechanic also told me we could have had the thing sitting on all sides for hours and it would still leak. It's a maze of passages. After I was done packing it and I looked back to the cardboard piece on which I did it all, it looked as if I murdered a small child on that thing.

No call from IPT yet.

I was going to go the IPT route but instead I have a shop custom building mine. I am having the whole transmission rebuilt.

More info please.

What does this rebuild include?

What power can it handle?

How much?

Many of us are looking for alternatives for a full trans rebuild because of IPT's $4,800 price tag.

I would look'em in the eye, and without blinking, tell them "yes it is a 23 lbs vase. Is this going to be a problem?":rolleyes:

From experience i can tell you that the 'box in a box' technique gives it a extremely high survival rate.

Got a call from Ty, VB arrived great, they have already started the work on it so it'll be done and shipped back today, he'll cal back with the quote including overnight shipping. I told him I'm probably more excited about this than I should be and he laughed at that :D I had talked to John earlier at around 1:15PM for them and said "I probably caught you at lunchtime". He said "there's no such thing for me, man".

I'm going to have the VB shipped straight to the shop. Can hardly wait.

Somehow I doubt said shop will do such things as cryogenically treat the clutchpacks. That's not something any shop can do. I'll venture a guess and say LGTONCOKE is talking about the IPT rebuild kit.

Cryogenically on clutchpacks, I don't think so.

actually DPS in maryland is building my transmission I am currently the first 5EAT that he is building but we are working on producing an alternative to IPT's. We are not sure on what all we are going to be able to handle. Cryo treated not currently we are aiming for about 500whp and if they can not handle then yes they will be cryo treated. He also added extra clutch packs to handle the power.

but he will not be doing a bunch of them just yet. once we get mine done and all the kinks worked out and build a couple to be able to meet demands then they will be up for everyone.

Got a call from Ty, VB arrived great, they have already started the work on it so it'll be done and shipped back today, he'll cal back with the quote including overnight shipping. I told him I'm probably more excited about this than I should be and he laughed at that :D I had talked to John earlier at around 1:15PM for them and said "I probably caught you at lunchtime". He said "there's no such thing for me, man".

I'm going to have the VB shipped straight to the shop. Can hardly wait.

if you get to talk with ty tomorrow tell him steve said the devils got smoked monday night. that should get him going

Modded valve body delivered at the shop, they may not have time to put it in today as my guy is working on a Mustang headgasket that's gotta be done today (crappy Fords!). GIVE MY IPT MODDED CAR BACK TO ME ALREADY! ARGH!

The cost so far breaks down as this:

USPS shipped overnight to IPT (insured for $850) 23lb - $100

Modded VB + overnight shipping back to me - $860

Plus 5 quarts OEM ATF.

What's left is shop's labor for taking it out and putting it back in

Do I need more than 5 quarts of ATF?

Here's a fun fact. The receipt came via e-mail from Autotransparts.com. Affiliated/part of IPT? Either way, they sell remanufactured 5EAT units for $2500. Just an FYI

I think that I had to add about 8 quarts or so to refill the trans fluid that was lost during VB swaps. As you mentioned before, that VB holds a lot of fluid internally vs the 4 qt trans drain & refill.

yeppers. I had to flush the car twice from the VB. once when I got it back from IPT and reinstalled and the second when HLS and I swapped VB's. of course, I had also flushed it every 15K miles to be on the safe side.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

looking forward to hearing how it came out. seriously considering this mod.

You can go for a ride in my car with it if you're in the Boston area.

It's worth it but it's not one of those things that blows your mind everytime you drive the car.

You can go for a ride in my car with it if you're in the Boston area.

It's worth it but it's not one of those things that blows your mind everytime you drive the car.

yup, in brighton. let me know and we can set something up. i just went stage 2 and doing all the necessary things...got my tranny cooler (4454) and did the jb weld fix (for now). ipt mod might be next on the list. looking to keep the lgt for awhile as i pretty damn happy with it now.

IPT VB done, installed, I picked up the car earlier today.

I'm going to start out with the part that didn't go right. As expected, my shop ran out of fluid so they used the 5 quarts I gave them and then ordered 5 more from the dealer. They ended up adding 3.5 quarts of the wrong ATF. The dealer sent them the white bottle stuff, the Idemitsu fluid for 4EAT. Not sure if you are familiar with what it says on the bottle, but it's along these lines

Suitable for all Subaru power steering systems and automatic transmissions (except 5EAT)

It specifically says except 5EAT. I'm going to write an e-mail to SOA asking them about it, what do you think? 3.5 quarts a no-no out of the 9 the 5EAT takes? Damn dealer, I went back and railed on the parts guy who tried to make up bullshit excuses and tried to tell me Subaru doesn't use 5EATs. I got him to replace the unopened quart with the right stuff at no extra charge.

Ok, so first of all I will say that having the dealer reset the learned parameters on the TCU is a waste of money unless:

a) you can get them to do it for free

b) your transmission for some reason is shifting severelyfunny at first

First impression as I got in the car, even at light throttle in traffic I could definitely tell the tranny was snapping into gears quick. The car feels no different under your ass, it's just as smooth. Gears engage quick and easy. For me, it's as if the car is back to stock, that's one thing I was particularly impressed with, how snappy the shifts were. I haven't taken her near redline just yet but I can definitely tell the difference. Again, the difference is not in the seat of your pants, but in the RPMs. They drop, and they drop quick and firm. I will say this, surprisingly, the torque converter also seems to lock-up easier, quicker and stays in lock-up better than before. I'd be in 4th gear at 38mpg and if I squeezed it a wee bit too quick, it would go out of lock-out. Seems that now I can push the pedal down more and it won't, and I like that.

I used to have some flare-up issues here and there when the tranny would shift at 50% throttle at around 3800rpm. It would disengage the gear, the revs would climb about 300 and then it would grab the next gear. Not slipping, just sloppy shifting. I dropped it in manual mode and in 2nd gear I gave it about 50% throttle rolling at 25mph and then shifted at around peak torque. It grabbed 3rd gear right away nice and clean and it brought a smile to my face. It's definitely worth it but as some people have stated before me, if you're expecting the shifts to be obvious as on a manual tranny for example, they won't be. The culprit for that is the hight stall torque converter. It's definitely swallowing up that kind of feeling.

Please ask me furthermore specific questions, I'm more than willing to answer them. At this point I really don't have anything else to say. I will add my 5EAT seems to be in very good health. Before I got the VB done sometimes at light throttle the shifts from 2nd to 3rd were ... hard to explain exactly how. When the shift point came, imagine the engine bogging down a bit and the 5EAT taking about half a second or less to grab 3rd. It still does that every now and then. I guess it's normal.

Archived