LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Re read post 1 & thread. Everything is there. In short, Pick a rear diff, R160 or R 180 that matches the final drive of your 6MT. 04 STi 6MT's is 3:90. R160 reuses stock GT rear axles. R180 needs 07-09 Spec.B rear axles & rear diff mount.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

^ I agree. I would add the front LSD and the DCCD to the spec b tranny. That would be nice! I think someone posted in one of the threads that it wouldnt be too hard to add the center diff and the DCCD controller to the spec b tranny.

The LDS front would be a little more involved but could be done as well.

I just swapped in an 07 STi tranny from a wrecked STi... why fool with the spec.b tranny when there are tons more STi's out there.

I just swapped in an 07 STi tranny from a wrecked STi... why fool with the spec.b tranny when there are tons more STi's out there.

What was the total cost on your transmission swap, all-told??

Also, just a general question: how hard would it be to convert an automatic car to a manual?? What "extra" work would go into this??

• Moderators
What was the total cost on your transmission swap, all-told??

Also, just a general question: how hard would it be to convert an automatic car to a manual?? What "extra" work would go into this??

I think all of those questions are in the "if you have to ask....." category :lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 5 weeks later...

Did i read a post earlier right saying that 08 and up sti shifter and linkage can be used when doing a 6 speed swap with no modification to rod length etc.. ? In other words either buy a spec b short shift kit or just use the factory 08 adn up sti shift linkage and handle?

TIA,

Anthony

So for some reason my swap with an 04 trans wasn't very simple as far as front axles go. Swapping just the seals did nothing for me. the axles dont slide in far enough to lock in and it leaks. come to find out the retainers that preload the front diff are different. seal slides in from the back so i had to unscrew them to change them. never recalled reading about that. so now im trying to figure out how to resolve this problem...

My Friend And i have done a project were we got a 04 forester xt engine and tranny in a 98 legacy gt. the car ran good but the speedometer was not working. now we have installed a 04 sti 6 speed in it, all we are waiting for is the custom drive shaft. so we need help to make the speedometer and the tranny work. if anyone has a diagram we would appreciate. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
You need to read through NSFW's thread, hammerdown's thread and groff's thread (this one).

Your answers are there.

Hubs cant be swapped and axles cant be converted.

Also there is a thread for converting an Auto....

Can you point me towards that auto conversion thread please???

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, i read the whole thread. But my brain is now confused ;).I have the 3.0 H6 MY06 with 6MT, so i just have to change the transmission and add a DCCDpro controller - the driveshaft will fit to the "new" transmission? Is there any difference between the LH und RH transmissions - so i can install RH tranny to LH car? Thanks