LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Final means final. Reduction between the current gear and the wheels (all of them).

Of course STI 06+ rear diffs are 3.54:1. 3.54545455:1 to be exact :cool:

04-05 rear diffs are straight 3.9:1.

Perhaps to you. Not to everyone.

Note that the input pinion is a smaller gear than the ring gear; this is the last gear reduction in the car. You may have heard terms like rear axle ratio or final drive ratio. These refer to the gear ratio in the differential. If the final drive ratio is 4.10, then the ring gear has 4.10 times as many teeth as the input pinion gear.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm

Note that HowStuffWorks is an authority on anything, but to plenty of people "final drive ratio" is synonymous with "differential ratio."

Front final gear ratio: 3.9

Rear final gear ratio: 3.545

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2008.html

Ok, I guess the terminology is not consistent. These guys (not that they are any more of an authority) side with my definition:

The final drive ratio is used in the car industry and tells how many rotations your motor must make for each rotation of the wheels.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8700973_definition-final-drive-ratio.html

I always thought made sense. I.e. the ratio between the crank rotations and the axles assuming the transmission is in gear equivalent to direct drive.

Looks like indeed it's equated with the rear diff (axle) ratio, but then most cars have only one of these.

Maybe there is difference between "final gear ratio" (final as the last) and "final drive ratio" (final as overall)?

Edited by unclemat

I used the slave cylinder that was attached to the STI transmission I purchased.

KCWagon used the slave cylinder that was attached to the spec b transmission he used.

If you want to find out if the part numbers are the same.....

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

Thats what I did when I wanted to see if they were the same

Also NSFW listed the part numbers on his list with links to opposed forces

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nsfws-6mt-swap-thread-143520.html?t=143520&highlight=nsfw+speed

click on the link in his thread under small parts, slave cylinder and it will take you right to the website. When there you can click on usage and it will tell you what car it was used on

Edited by Scooby2.5

I have always been use to unclemats version but back to topic

Are the sti & specB slave cylinders the same?

If they are not will either work?

TIA,

Anthony

IIRC the part #s are different. There are at least two variants of STI slave cylinders, too. Cheaper on 04 STI, and a more expensive different design on 05+. All of them will fit. I think the 04 version has a anti-dump valve on the outside of the cylinder. It's not present on the later version. In either case the external anti-dump valve is easily "dumped".

Edited by unclemat

i wrote that last month and you are crazy if you think the 3 threads really answer the questions .... they definately point you in the right direction but you need things like opposed forces etc.. to really confirm things to much hear say and contradiction in the main swap threads..... very conflicting info specifically on the 3.54 vs. 3.9 diff years and the corresponding 1.1:1 vs 1:1 trannys reading all the threads mainly caused the confusion that caused the posts you keep complaining about bc i read different things in each one.i just corrected i believe groff which is one of the main 3 referenced luckily i did not purchase w/o lots of the double checking you keep pointing out....why waste the time doing that answer the question or do not post u are wasting your time and energy and now i have triple posted this point in at least 2 threads

I do not think i have any unknowns left except maybe if the 08-011 sti linkage is different than the spec b stuff like previous sti linkages were

and this forums is very bad for reading other peoples posts gets passed off as knowledge I prefer to hear things from people who have actually done them not talked about them or paid to have someone else do them

Anthony

sorry for being off topic

Edited by ama0787

i have noticed part numbers do not always tell the whole story but help such as the spec b drive shaft and a/t driveshaft I bought the spec b but it seems they are the same . Also lots of parts i have purchased have been the same but numbers are superseded or such .

Is the dump valve you mention the same thing as the delay valve I have seen people talk about removing?

I can not understand its purpose and what is it delaying the release of fork so it ads a little extra time so the driver gets it into gear before the clutch ad flywheel are connected again? preventing missed shifts or grinded gears?

TIA,

Anthony

I didn't find anything incorrect NSFW. Mostly used your thread and I installed it myself with a friend and had no problems and was not missing a single thing.

Anthony I used the spec B STI STS shifter with my 08 and posted all the details and pics of what was different between that and the STI shifter that came with my swap

Edited by Scooby2.5

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my 06 spec.b back.

07 STi 6 speed and R180 rear diff, 4th gen legacy 2.5i auto drive shaft, new rear 07 spec.b axles, Perrin shifter bushings and perrin STi short throw shifter, ACT street clutch, stock STi flywheel, Group N tranny and engine mounts, DCCDPro center diff controler.

LOVE IT

If by 5spd you mean a wrx's 5sp clutch, then yes it will work in the 6spd, you just need to use the 5mt flywheel too. As for the 07 trans with 05 legacy gt axles, they work just fine. I just installed a 07 6spd two days ago in my 05 LGT, and kept all 4 legacy axles.

DK

Any thoughts on this? Aany reason that he is wrong?

I am in WV looking for one too.

Thought I had a 08 found but instaed a 08 wrx 5 speed showed up very disappointing especially considering I am locked into using the tranny that goes w/3.54 rear end bc I bought all supporting parts once tranny shipped.

TIA,

Anthony

I am in WV looking for one too.

Thought I had a 08 found but instaed a 08 wrx 5 speed showed up very disappointing especially considering I am locked into using the tranny that goes w/3.54 rear end bc I bought all supporting parts once tranny shipped.

TIA,

Anthony

I think 08 is a good choice as it does not have the speedo gear stuff. It is the year they did away with that.

Your speedo on the legacy works from the wheel speed sensor and that is the way the 08+ impreza is.

Recipe B - 3.54:1 rear diff

Transmission options: 06+ STI (I don't know what the upper bound is, but unclemat used an 08)

Rear diff options: 02-03WRX R160, 07-09 Spec B R180****

Rear axles: Regular LGT with R160, Spec B axles with R180.

Front axles: Regular LGT

Driveshaft: Spec B***

04-05 WRX rear diffs are 3.54 also. There is no difference between the 02-03-04-05 R160

I run an 06 STi tranny with my stock 04 wrx R160 and an Automatic WRX driveshaft.

NOTE when buying an 04 STi tranny you may need axle stubs.

USDM STi

2004- Part# 32000AG880

Ratios= 3.636 / 2.375 / 1.761 / 1.346 / 0.971 / 0.756

3.90 final drive (front and rear)/has both male and female front axles (check production date, changes mid year). LSD Front diff/DCCD Center (36F/64R Bias Open)

Clutch = Pull

Female Axles- Held in by a roll pin that has to be tapped out to slide axle off of transmission stub.

Male Axles- Held in by retainer clip on the diff side of the axle. They have to be "popped" out of the front diff for removal.

If you choose a male axle 6mt and you have a female front axle car you will need these:

806730042 Oil Seal LH x1

806730041 Oil Seal RH x1

38415AA110 Axle Stub x2

805329010 C-Clip x2

If you have a Female 6mt and a male front axle car you will need the following:

806735230 Oil Seal x1

806735240 Oil Seal x1

Edited by BDII
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

04-05 WRX rear diffs are 3.54 also. There is no difference between the 02-03-04-05 R160

I run an 06 STi tranny with my stock 04 wrx R160 and an Automatic WRX driveshaft.

NOTE when buying an 04 STi tranny you may need axle stubs.

You may need axle stubs, or you may need to remove axle stubs?

I've updated the first post to include 02-05 WRX diffs, thanks for the extra info.

Edited by NSFW