LegacyGT.com

Hyundai Genesis COUPE at Grayson

I moseyed on over there, and checked out their sponsor, Korean Auto Imports...

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/

Since the coupe has been out in Korea for a little while, some mods have indeed been developed.

This doesn't look half bad... I would have left the top edge of the grille insert off, and just had the mesh roll under the hood edge... But this is getting closer to attractive.

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/images/Genesis-Coupe/Exterior/gencoupefogs3.jpg

And these aren't too bad...

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/images/Genesis-Coupe/Lighting/gencoupeledtail3.jpg

http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_307_345&products_id=3024

This is going to get interesting...

Although Hyundai is pulling some Subaru-esque moves with limiting color choices for the 2.0T Track model... Supposedly there is something about it only having a black/red two-tone interior, and thus eliminating some paint color choices that "don't go well" with the red in the interior... like their bright blue color, although Grand Touring, base model, and all 3.8 trims get blue, and 3.8 gets yellow that 2.0T doesn't get...

One would think that they have been taking lessons from Subaru on the USDM legacy about crazy restrictions on interior/color choice, based on what option package is chosen... "I want this, but then can't get that..." sort of thing. :rolleyes:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

BTW... I think I am starting to like this more and more.... (still isn't turbo-boxer powered, or AWD, though... c'mon Subaru, here is your target...)

http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/ Couple of Modified Coupes...

http://bkmania.com/bbs/data/bk_gallery/IMG_7223.JPG

http://bkmania.com/bbs/data/bk_gallery/IMG_7209.JPG

Guest heightsgtltd

^^ while I think it looks okay and is an interesting option here is the real problem--quoted from the link above

"Damn it ...

Now I just want one even more ... I don't think I'm going to be able to wait a couple years till I pay off the srt ... gonna just be in more debt rofl"

Serious douchebag potential..

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

BTW... I think I am starting to like this more and more.... (still isn't turbo-boxer powered,

Engine swap :lol:

Better yet, just drop a GM LS in there :lol: Would it then become a Hyundai GMsis?

Lol, IWSS would never put a ls engine in anything. Its too common and makes power to easily and its too reliable and it doesnt cost enough to work on and build. :lol:

Very funny. :rolleyes::lol:

I have wondered if the Tau V8 would fit in... Hyundai engine in a Hyundai car.

Really, if you want an SBC... What do you think the Camaro is for? The GenCoupe is probably not THAT much smaller than the Camaro, considering how close it is to Mustang's size. GenCoupe is probably several hundred pounds lighter, though... Zeta/Zeta II is not a welter-weight, it is definitely a heavy-weight.

A boxer would not fit. Most inline or V-engined longitudinal chassis are nowhere near wide enough between the chassis rails to fit a wide, short, low engine like the Subaru or Porsche boxer engines. Most transverse cars are wide enough, but wouldn't fit the longitudinal drivetrain arrangment of a Subie transaxle for AWD, or even RWD... That is why it is up to Subaru to build a coupe on their Impreza chassis, to fit the drivetrain properly.

I really, REALLLYYYY want Subaru to take aim at this car, and fire their own salvo of an Impreza-based coupe right at this car. slightly smaller, no heavier, possibly even lighter while still AWD equipped.

I hope this Genesis goes like gangbusters, even in a slow market, and shows Subaru/Toyota that this is a very viable, and quite enthusiastic opportunity.

Subaru has lots of stuff in it's parts bin, like bilstein struts, aluminum suspension arms, Brembo brakes (WITH the 5x114.3 bolt pattern, and 35mm offset fender clearance, please!!!), 2.0 and 2.5 turbo and NA engines, 6MT (maybe a new, lighter one as well, per some rumors) and 5EAT-SS, both with quite good AWD, and Toyota is talking RWD...

If the Subaru car is lighter, it might not even need an H6, unless Subaru really wants to put one in, to at least throw a bone to more mainstream car buyers, and go after the 3.8 Genesis Coupe, and undercut the G37 the way that Genesis Coupe does, by offering more value, even if the car isn't as objectively nice as the G-coupe.

A Subaru Impreza Coupe in two main variants similar to the GenCoupe's two main variants...

-2.0RS = DOHC 2.0 non-turbo, 200hp (100hp/liter) or better, direct injected, Dual-AVCS equipped) TR with Brembos and Bilsteins, but stripped out otherwise, 6MT only. Regular models get non-bilsteins, and Subaru WRX/22b multi-piston brakes.

-2.5GT = turbo, but WRX rally-reference moniker stays with the 5-door bodystyle, but the GT coupe gets 265 (WRX-level) horsepower. 6MT/VTD, or 5EAT-sport shift/VTD. Limited package adds the leather power sport seats, and Scion-tC like panoramic roof.

Perhaps it could be equipped with the rumored updated engine that '10 Legacy is going to get, or at least current-spec STI, if STI goes with the updated engine setup...

-Spec B or STI-model, with Brembos and Bilsteins (PSS10-driver controlled damping perhaps, maybe tied to SI-Drive setting?), front and rear torsen LSDs, Driver-Controlled Cender Diff. Basically a coupe STI, with all of the suspension and AWD toys, and 300hp at least, above the regular 2.5GT. Limited package can be ordered for both.

-Spec C (as in competition) as the Built-to-order stripped out Turbo model, with the performance goods, but no amenities at all, even the base/no radio and optional A/C delete. No dealer stock unless the dealer specifically orders it, but a catalog option for tuners and racers to get a fairly clean-slate car, and not paying for a bunch of stuff they are going to tear out anyway. No limited package obviously.

As long as the car is styled even moderately well, (more like BL Legacy than the current impreza flat-faced hunchback. As good, or better than the Genesis Coupe, without the GenCoupe's aesthetic issues), count me on-board for a 2.5 GT, 6-speed MT with VTD AWD, Brembos, Bilsteins, 8" wide tires on 18" wheels, HIDs, LED lighting otherwise, and a BL Legacy-like interior. (driver oriented dash, rather than econobox-looking with a ginormous center console kiosk, like Impreza, Forester, Exiga, and Legacy concept)

With a lift back hatch, rather than the Genesis Coupe's absolutely tiny trunk opening. Like Legacy sedan, the GenCoupe's trunk looks big enough inside, but the opening is so small, that it looks difficult to take advantage of that space, if boxes and such won't fit through the opening.

GenCoupe is good, Subaru can do even better, if they put their mind to it, and don't cut corners.

I kid because i love :cool:

The genesis is a great start but i too am looking to see a real performer coupe fo under 30k. AWD isnt a must for me but its nice. If it is AWD I dont want anything that isnt full time AWD, none of this 20/80 shit until your tires slip. I would like to see a AWD turbo 300hp 6 speed coupe that weighs in at 3k or less and maybe a RWD version that weighs in at 2800 or less. Enginewise a boxer or maybe even a 3JZ lol

Some people say is it time to be quirky? Well Subie is doing great and i dont think toyotas hurting, so its the perfect time to throw some of that extra earned money into something cool.

Even Autoblog is getting in on the modded GenCoupe action...

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/modded-hyundai-genesis-coupes/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/dsc05232.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/img_7232.jpg

I think the overlapping character lines of the car are begging for this wheel...

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/bbs/swap/bbs_cxr_maa_ci3_l.jpg

ya I like that one too. I kinda wish the grill closed off all the way in the middle. It kinda has a ninja turtle action figure skowl w/o it. (ya know the ones from the 80s?)
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The problem is, the air intake snorkel is right under the hood seam, somewhat like the Legacy's is...

I nicely shaped naca-duct slit, with the (maybe modified) hoodline edge as the upper edge, feeding that snorkel some cool air might be nice. No need for it to be that big, or that ugly.

A three- intake lower grille like the concept's arrangement, with distinct body-color separations between the outer and inner grille areas... could be nice.

---- Autoblog is posting more... including a couple of pics...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/09/beyond-redline-dissects-hyundai-genesis-coupes-new-2-0t-motor/

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is already winning praise from the motoring press, and enthusiasts are itching to get their hands on the RWD Korean two-seater. While some are seeking out the uplevel 300-horsepower, 3.8-liter V6 model, many tuners are itching to get their hands on the entry 2.0T powerplant. At 211-hp, the base model isn't going to win many street races, but countless mods promise to produce tremendous amounts of power with less weight.

Tuner Beyond Redline took apart the 2.0T to see exactly what Hyundai gave tuners to work with. For starters, the block is evidently sourced from the Mitsubishi Ralliart, which is different from the more structurally sound EVO X block. Beyond Redline expects the engine's sturdy components and 86mm stroke and bore to make 400 wheel-horsepower and rev to 8,000 RPM with the proper mods and a stock block. While the 2.0T gives modders plenty of room for overclocking, the engine's open deck block means that too much boost could warp the cylinders. Block guards can be used to reinforce the cylinder walls, but that means additional work and cash to really kick the 2.0T into high gear.

Yeah, people going for 300-~400hp will probably just tune it up... It'll still be hotter than the V6... Keep in mind, also that the car stickers WELL below an Evo X, and probably a bit less than even a Ralliart. The Turbo-Track model tops out at $27k or so... Evo is probably close to $10 grand more, at least.

People going for 400hp+ will probably just transplant a whole EVO block. I still kinda wonder if the Tau V8 will fit between the chassis rails, and in front of the firewall... That engine could be interesting if tuned to scream a little more than a luxury sedan setting... :D

So, I actually test drove one today. Gave me some weird blurb about how dealerships in socal are only getting 1 until mass shipments come in.

So the only one they had couldn't be further from what I was looking for, but test drove anyway. I figured that the suspension should be similar, driving feel as well.

Anyway it was an automatic V6. Stickered close to 30k (no markup) but had manual seats, no moonroof. I would expect most cars, especially a hyundai, to have power seats at 30k. i'm not a moonroof guy but i'd also expect that in a 30k vehicle. the legacy gt has those things and the window on my car was 29,xxx.

Had bluetooth microphone and aux/usb in which was nice. Woulda been better if the trunk was a hatch. The openning is tiny like IWSS said. I cant really remember if the G35 trunk was any better but I'd say the trunk is pretty useless. a few duffel bags and some odds and ends and the trunk is a goner.

The drive- I was sort of semi pleasantly surprised. :lol:. I knew it was going to be okay, part of me thought it MIGHT suck, but I knew hyundai had a lot riding on this car. although hyundai might have picked the wrong tire for something so important.... RE92s :lol::spin:

it was a nice ride. not super sporty but sporty enough. I'd say something to the characteristics of the g35c. felt kind of tall; driving position didnt feel like that of the small fwd coupes like the celica or rsx. they benchmarked the g35c like crazy and it shows. If I were to choose between the genesis or the g35c i'd pocket the extra 10k or so and get the genesis.

the interior is again pretty close to the infiniti but seems somewhere between the G coupe and rsx, but closer to the rsx. Steering wheel is funky but i like it. has finger grips for the middle, ring, pinky. didnt mess with the electronics.

aaaand with all hyundais, there is a deal breaker. the one in this case is the v6 mated with the automatic. that thing was annoying as hell. kept half shifting and then unshifting or something. throttle was okay but lurchy as hell. seems to me like the drive by wire needs to be recalibrated. engine didnt feel like 300+ hp. Granted i only brought it up to 5k but a stage 1 legacy could probably hand it it's ass. Honestly felt like 260hp-ish. I have had many different engines and this was by far the most annoying i've ever driven. brakes were kind of mushy too (IMO worse feel than the legacy... ouch.)

If i were to get this, it'd be a long distance cruiser/daily driver. I think when they benchmarked the g35c they benchmarked the sport out of it. but its a nice daily driver. the v6 takes regular and gets 27mpg highway which is about as good as what my miata gets. Pretty impressive even though the engine/auto tranny is garbage. Im hoping it's the tranny and the manual is acceptable. If that's the case I'll probably pick one up in 2-3 years if I dont replace the miata before then.

car for sale. PM me!

I wonder if Hyundai is also recalibrating the automatic ECUs like they are with the MT models. There is a damage control programming in the ECU, which kills the fun and makes the shifting very awkward. Hyundai released a fix and asked all dealerships to reflash the ECUs of their MT Genesis coupes. Edmunds tested a Genesis Coupe before and after, and after the ECU reflash, they were running 1/2 second fast 0-60, and 1/2 second faster 1/4 mile runs.

Archived