LegacyGT.com

Hyundai Genesis COUPE at Grayson

I'm think Hyundai is the equivalent of what Toyota, Honda and Nissan were back 20 - 30 years in the US. Honda? Motorcycles and lawnmowers. Upstart companies that no one took seriously.

Gotta love the sticker lists a full tank of gas. I don't think I've ever seen that.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a good dealer gives you a full tank of gas anyway..

I think you're right tho.. if hyundai stays on the path of non-crappy $3k new cars like Kia (kia has become the mcdonalds of auto makers) their profit and market share graph will look like / who knows.. in 5 years people might be flocking to them as a brand of choice.. I mean imagine going back to the 70s and saying "in 30 years people will prefer toyotas over chevrolets" they would laugh and say "those crappy rice burners? no way.."

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

a good dealer gives you a full tank of gas anyway..

I think you're right tho.. if hyundai stays on the path of non-crappy $3k new cars like Kia (kia has become the mcdonalds of auto makers) their profit and market share graph will look like / who knows.. in 5 years people might be flocking to them as a brand of choice.. I mean imagine going back to the 70s and saying "in 30 years people will prefer toyotas over chevrolets" they would laugh and say "those crappy rice burners? no way.."

Very well said...

;-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Are you kidding? There may be cross-shoppers, but the prices are not nearly as close as you let on.

This car tops out at the price shown, less than $31k.

350Z STARTS at $32k for the bargain model, and G37 starts north of there, if you want anything anywhere near the G37S with the 6-speed, which is closer to $40K.

If you were comparing it to Mustang, you might get closer.

--------------

The black actually looks pretty good. The rear quarter droop line tries to disappear, and that window with such thick black borders, pretty much is demanding tint, which will hide it further.

The thing is, I like their electric blue color, which won't hide the window-line as well.

I even don't mind the OE spoiler, which usually is a distraction on most cars.

The red modified car with the changed hood prow line, and open grille looks better, but the grille opening still looks too narrow, with wide swaths, and VERY wide headlights on either side. Proportionally, the grille is quite small on the front. Maybe aftermarket body kits will address that.

I could see even leaving the upper grille off, and setting the hood to fit the bumper cover and enlarging the center bottom opening, instead of having any grille between the headlights at all.

Have to say that the crosseyed guage cylinders are a bit odd, though.

The cross-shopping would be with the 3.8 Eclipse wouldn't it? I mean looking at these two cars similarities is almost like looking at the comparisons of a Firebird and a Camaro.

--

This is a very nice vehicle. It makes me question if I will go this car vs another turbo Subaru next time around.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. If subaru is going to balk at a coupe, and bulk up the Legacy... This Hyundai looks pretty good.

The seats are incredible. and the interior is pretty well laid out. I will try to drive it today if the weather stays dry.

I don't like the grille either, or the big H on it. They should have done the front like the Genesis sedan with no badges and made the grille a little higher end looking. I am sure someone will have a nice aftermarket one for it down the road.

I am interested in seeing what the aftermarket will do with front bumper covers. I could see enlarging and making the lower intakes larger, and minimizing the grille area, perhaps with a re-shaped hood to go along with it. And different fog lights. The front looks a little too soft, kinda like the G37.

A NACA-style intake duct with the hood as the upper edge, that feeds directly into the intake snorkel would be fine. Maybe even wider to fit proportionally between the headlights, Maybe with the Genesis Sedan center split spine for some family resemblance.

I am not really impressed by the tail lights. They have too much white/clear in them and make me think of the lights kids put on the civics. all red or at least maybe a light smoke film on them would help this though.

Agreed there. I have been mulling over what could be done there, between red-out and black out. Personally, I would like to see a whole lot more LEDs incorporated, and not necessarily in a circle arrangements. The Genesis Sedan has LEDs, I wonder why this doesn't seem to.

It resembles the G35 coupe a lot in person and it quite a bit bigger than i expected it to be. It still doesnt seem to be as wide as the G35 coupe, but still has a great stance.

I saw a picture once that had a silver genesis coupe pre-production demo next to a silver Mustang. They were almost the same size. I was surprised just at that.

This is the Track version so it has bigger sway bars (25mm in the front and 22mm in the back), bigger/wider tires - 225/40/19 in front and 245/40/19 in the rear, etc

this one is the 6 cylinder which has 306 hp at 6300rmp (not really impressed where it makes that power in the band) and 266 ft lb at 4600 rpms.

The turbo has less power, but the torque is more useful in most driving - 210 @ 6000 rmps and 223 ft lb at 2000 rpms

I wonder if re-tuning and upgrading the turbo engine will do similar things that Legacy has...

The 3.0R and 3.6 have stock-for-stock higher power numbers than the 243hp rating that the Legacy GT has. With a re-flash and a little bit of hardware upgrade, like exhaust... (as people have mentioned, some of which might come from the Mitsu Evo X tuning already going on.)

... with such upgrades, the Turbo could be a 300+ screamer that performs better, and weighs a bit less than the V6...

I still half wish that they would do a special edition with a 360+hp Tau V8 model.

The cross-shopping would be with the 3.8 Eclipse wouldn't it? I mean looking at these two cars similarities is almost like looking at the comparisons of a Firebird and a Camaro.

--

05Guru is correct here. Genesis Coupe is longitudinal RWD, Eclipse is transverse FWD. The styling may be sleek, but they dont' look the same.

The underpinnings are completely different, and the looks aren't that close. The GM F-bodys were identical underneath, and only a bit different on the outside.

http://www.desktopcar.net/wallpaper/10787-2/Mitsubishi-Eclipse-09.jpg

http://www.desktopcar.net/wallpaper/40640-2/Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe_09.jpg

05Guru is correct here. Genesis Coupe is longitudinal RWD, Eclipse is transverse FWD. The styling may be sleek, but they dont' look the same.

The underpinnings are completely different, and the looks aren't that close. The GM F-bodys were identical underneath, and only a bit different on the outside.

http://www.desktopcar.net/wallpaper/10787-2/Mitsubishi-Eclipse-09.jpg

http://www.desktopcar.net/wallpaper/40640-2/Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe_09.jpg

And interior on the two f-bodys was different aswell.

Maybe some weird people will just happen to cross shop the eclipse and genesis but a real enthusiast is gonna pick the genesis everytime.

I didn't realize the Genesis was rear-wheel drive. Thats good. And the Turbo model is also something Mitsubishi doesn't offer on the Eclipse.

All these cars are trying to appeal to the 350z styling, and I must say it is a bit discouraging for me, because I like variety.

The turbo Genesis would be on my short list though if I were shopping for a new car in the 20-25K range right now.

Neither of those cars is that close to the 350Z, or the 370Z, or even the G37.

If you mean that they are 2-door cars with a sleek roofline... but an closer of a look than that, the cars are easily discernible from each other.

That is kind of like saying that all sedans look the same.

Once the aftermarket really gets a grasp on the Genesis Turbo, the I4 Track model, or their R-spec tuner model will probably be quite popular, and possibly could have better power and handling dynamics than the V6, although the V6 is probably the better Grand Touring coupe.

As i said before if this is the engine is the same exact as the evo x other than the turbo setup, fuel system and ecu tuning then the car could stand to produce 340ishwhp with the evo x turbo and fuel system and a couple of bolt on supporting mods. And 340 to the wheels is out of range for the v6.

Got a yellow 3.8 in a few minutes ago.

We have a turbo incoming, but no word on the color. I will take detailed engine bay pictures when it arrives though.

Yeller one:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8241.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8242.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8243.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8246.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8247.jpg

Got a yellow 3.8 in a few minutes ago.

We have a turbo incoming, but no word on the color. I will take detailed engine bay pictures when it arrives though.

Yeller one:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8241.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8242.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8243.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8246.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/chubert1/Genesis%20coupe/IMG_8247.jpg

Can you take the engine cover off the 2.0t and take pics?

all i see is a lot of speculation. the pictures look good but for those of you saying watch out 350z or g35 or whatever, i give you this.

nissan has been building RWD cars forever. hyundai has not. nissan has been building sports cars forever. hyundai... has not. this would be the FIRST, unless i'm missing something.

willing to give it a shot, but i doubt anyone here has test driven it, besides grayson.

the genesis looked great on paper too, but so far i've seen 1 on the road.

call me a skeptic but i've been in their late model cars. they are way better than before. but they are getting too expensive too quickly IMO.

car for sale. PM me!

Look at one up close. They are more expensive for a reason than the stereotype of Hyundai will let you know believe.

The Genesis, Genesis coupe, veracruz and sante fe all are very nice vehicles and deserve to be thought of outside of the old "throw away vehicle" like a yugo or such vehicle.

I have driven many vehicles in my 14 yrs in the car business and the Genesis coupe (and sedan) are very nice cars..regardless of the price tag.

We have sold a good number of the sedans already and take as many as Hyundai puts out there for us to get.

Same can be said of Subaru...$33k for a Legacy? $40k for an STI? Like Hyundai, they have their pros and cons. I refused to pay over $30k for any Subaru. They make a great vehicle, but I am not going to pay that much for a Subaru or Hyundai.

The Genesis coupe loaded is barely over $30k and a nice enough vehicle that I would entertain spending $30k on that car rather than a $29k WRX premium. I don't know which I would choose for sure until I was in the decision making process, but I know i would cross shop.

I don't think anyone was denegrating Nissan's cars, as cars. This car is cheaper to buy.

And peek your head up and look around... The economy is not all that great. A cheaper car with 9/10ths of the performance, from a company that seems very hungry to grow, and is actually making good business moves right now.

It might just pull some sales away from Subaru, Nissan, and others. People might also buy this rather than loaded Civic SI coupes, or Eclipse coupes, or whatever FWD coupes are in the market, or Subaru/Toyota who can't find their way to a RWD coupe bodystyle with two hands and a flashlight.

If this is a better car, dynamically than the $18-29k FWD crowd, and is less expensive than the 30-40k Nissan/Infiniti rear-drivers, and isn't as retro-tastic as the nuevo-muscle from detroit that is appealing to 50-somethings trying to re-live their teens and 20s vicariously :wink: ... Genesis Coupe IS the car on that mark right now.

And this is a bigger, more practical coupe than the 370Z 2-seat sports car. The Genesis is a Sport Coupe, or Grand Touring coupe, not a 2-seat sports car. G37 is like Genesis in that way, nicer looking, with better equipment, but more expensive. A G37S 6MT with options is likely between $38-41K. A Genesis Coupe Track model is between $27-31k. That is a gap that not every budget can cross, especially now and in the near to intermediate future.

I don't think anyone was denegrating Nissan's cars, as cars. This car is cheaper to buy.

And peek your head up and look around... The economy is not all that great. A cheaper car with 9/10ths of the performance, from a company that seems very hungry to grow, and is actually making good business moves right now.

It might just pull some sales away from Subaru, Nissan, and others. People might also buy this rather than loaded Civic SI coupes, or Eclipse coupes, or whatever FWD coupes are in the market, or Subaru/Toyota who can't find their way to a RWD coupe bodystyle with two hands and a flashlight.

If this is a better car, dynamically than the $18-29k FWD crowd, and is less expensive than the 30-40k Nissan/Infiniti rear-drivers, and isn't as retro-tastic as the nuevo-muscle from detroit that is appealing to 50-somethings trying to re-live their teens and 20s vicariously :wink: ... Genesis Coupe IS the car on that mark right now.

And this is a bigger, more practical coupe than the 370Z 2-seat sports car. The Genesis is a Sport Coupe, or Grand Touring coupe, not a 2-seat sports car. G37 is like Genesis in that way, nicer looking, with better equipment, but more expensive. A G37S 6MT with options is likely between $38-41K. A Genesis Coupe Track model is between $27-31k. That is a gap that not every budget can cross, especially now and in the near to intermediate future.

I dunno. sounds like everyones counting the chicks before they hatch.

u mention the economy. so the economy is worse and people go out and buy 2 door coupes?

there is a reason why toyota has not had a sports car in a long time. they dont sell a lot of them. its not any lack of quality, they just dont make a lot of money.

I dont doubt the quality. hyundai has come a long way. i actually have an appointment to test drive one.

but im not keeping my hopes up.

just hoping in 5 years or so they'll be at a throwaway price. then i'll buy one :lol:

car for sale. PM me!

It is a very hot ride for sure, I just hope they have a better clutch then they did on the Tibs..

Also first thing I would do is take a can of black krylon to that logo.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

http://www.autoblog.com 2009/02/27 Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 beats out infiniti G37 in first comparison

original comparo that Autoblog summarized: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline articleId=142826#5

While we're working on our own shoot-out between the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and a yet-to-be-named contender, the crew at Inside Line put Hyundai's new rear-wheel-drive two-door against one of its strongest opponents: the Infiniti G37.

IL's 3.8-liter V6 Genesis Coupe tester came equipped with the Track pack, which includes a stiffer suspension, limited-slip differential, Brembo brakes and 19-inch wheels, along with the standard six-speed manual. The sticker? $30,375, or $6,625 less than a base model Infiniti G37. For the extra scratch, the Infiniti is a more luxurious package and carries a bit of badge snobbery, but performance and driver engagement are the metrics we're interested in and the Hyundai proved to be a serious contender.

The G is packing more power from less displacement (330 vs. 306 hp), a bit more torque (270 vs. 266 lb-ft) and revs higher (7,600 vs. 6,800 rpm). But it's also packing the pounds. The Infiniti tips the scales at 3,709 pounds, while the Genesis Coupe comes in just under 3,500 pounds.

IL performed its usual battery of tests, along with a dyno run, and deemed the G37 a better vehicle on the road from both a driving and livability standpoint, but gave props to the Genesis for its competence on the track and predictable handling characteristics. Both cars were remarkably close in the performance department, with the Hyundai taking the win on the skid-pad, while falling short on the sprint to 60, quarter-mile time and slalom run.

IL's conclusion: For two-thirds the cost of the Infiniti G37, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 gives you more bang for the buck and deserves a place on any enthusiast's short-list.

Archived