LegacyGT.com

Hyundai Genesis COUPE at Grayson

I dunno. sounds like everyones counting the chicks before they hatch.

u mention the economy. so the economy is worse and people go out and buy 2 door coupes?

People are pulling back spending across the line, but some people will still need to buy things that they need to use.

2-door coupes are practical commuters and second cars, or first cars for single people or couples. They also aren't overkill in the size and weight department.

there is a reason why toyota has not had a sports car in a long time. they dont sell a lot of them. its not any lack of quality, they just dont make a lot of money.

Why have they not made money? because people have been buying big and buying whatever they could get credit for, and big enough to do everything and anything they could think of doing.

Why are SUV sales off much worse than cars? because fuel, and now cash retraction are bringing those unreasonable credit and purchasing trends back down to reality.

Toyota doesn't build coupes, because they chased high margins into the SUV market, and only maintained their mainstream and economy sedans as cars, and only offered pathetic Solaras, and economy-minded tCs as coupes.

If coupes are so horrific, then why does nissan have three, Ford has two, Chrysler just brought out Challenger, and Camaro is finally coming back, as well as a CTS coupe.

There is nothing inherently inefficent about a coupe, for roles that aren't predicated on many passengers or lots of cargo, and those roles do exist.

I dont doubt the quality. hyundai has come a long way. i actually have an appointment to test drive one. But im not keeping my hopes up.

just hoping in 5 years or so they'll be at a throwaway price. then i'll buy one :lol:

I understand that coupes aren't for everyone, but why begrudge them for people who do want them, and they do make sense for? What is not to have hopes up about? The car looks to be attractive to those who want this kind of car. a couple of aesthetic niggles are not deal breakers.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think IWSS has some great points here.

Coupes to me aren't all that practical because needs may change in the future and a car change wont be needed if you get something like.. I dunno.. an LGT. :D but if you dont think that far ahead or have a different set of needs than I do.. a coupe is a great car to get done only what you need to get done and still have fun doing it.

The nissan altima coupe is a great seller.. tbh I'm amazed at how many I see on the road.. in fact I'd say I see 2:1 or better of NEW altimas on the road being coupes to sedans.

I dont see any reason to spite an automaker for making a type of car I may not like. I mean I'm not forced to buy it.. personally.. the genesis coupe is not for me, and the genesis sedan doesn't sound like it'd be fast enough but.. I think this is really a step in the right direction to bring the automotive market as a whole back to where it should be.

btw iwss kudos on pointing out that our economic spending habits are a return to REALITY and not a function of irrational fear or behavior changes. One could argue the extravagant lifestyles many have lived was the irrational part.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

What are the interior build materials like? IE, hard plastics like interior of the STi or soft like the LGT? I'm talking about the dashboard, door panels, etc.

Oh, and please let's not turn this into yet another thread about Coupe cars and what they mean to the consumer, the economy and car manufacturers. As far as I'm concerned I'm a puritan and a coupe should be a roadster. Don't be coming to me with a 2-door 4-seater which manages to be the in-between and happen to be mediocre as far as platform goes (need be doubles as a cumbersome sedan but doesn't quite handle like a roadster).

Fishbone...

Do you realize that a Roadster is a Convertible? In the very old days, a Roadster is a car without a convertible top on board, but rather a cloth top that could be bolted on, or a tonneau cover over one or both seats (both when parked, to avoid rain water in the interior)

A coupe is a car with two side doors (a 3-door would be a coupe with a cargo hatch) and a fixed roof.

A 2+2 coupe is still a coupe, is still generally lighter, smaller and sleeker than most sedans, except the very small economy sedans. (which aren't usually performers) The weight issue has become a bit sticky lately, since coupes and convertibles with longer doors than most sedans require heavier side intrusion protection, which actually hinders the weight advantage of having fewer parts and pieces for the body of the car, 2-door compared to 4 door. So lots of coupes don't have as much weight advantage as they used to.

Coupes, 2-seat, and some 2+2s, actually tend to handle, pound-for-pound, better than a "roadster" convertible, because the chassis is stiffer. Most roadsters cowl-shake by only having the floorpan to hold the car up, and the floorpan isn't as torsionally rigid as an enclosed car.

I have a "roadster" and it is lots of fun, and it handles great, but it cowl-shakes, and isn't as stiff as a coupe is. When you say "roadster" you seem to be referring to what I would call a convertible or roadster sports car. A Sports Car is more strictly 2-seats, with more emphasis on shedding weight and size for a handling performance advantage. Sports Cars can come as coupes, as well. Such as Porsche Cayman, related to the Boxster. Both sports cars, both less than 3000lbs. But they Cayman is a better performer, entirely due to the chassis stiffness that the roof adds to the rigidity of the car. The Boxster is probably as much or more enjoyable to drive with the top down, though for other reasons than that 10/10ths performance edge.

For a road car, and one that gets some practical use, coupes, even 2+2s make some sense.

Plus, as Hyundai Rear-drivers go, the Genesis Coupe seems to be lighter and more affordable than the Sedan, and very few other RWD coupes exist on the market. The Hyundai is more modern looking than the retro-muscle, more user-freindly to most people than the RX8 under the hood, and less expensive than the Nissan Z and Infiniti G-coupe, A5, and BMWs, etc...

^That just goes to show how dilluted the coupe and roadster terms have become. I have seen the term roadster in several places referring to non-convertible cars such as the non-convertible Z. Call it what you will I guess.

Weight differences aren't THAT big. Case in point

Altima Sedan - 3292

Altima Coupe - 3241

Accord Sedan - 3446

Accord Coupe - 3373

Camry Sedan - 3263

Camry Solara - 3240

All for 2009, trim for trim, manual transmission.

If that kind of weight difference is enough to make a noticeable difference, then your car was shit slow to begin with :D

I thought "R-Spec" or something was the name for the stripped out tuner-ready model of the 4-cylinder model...

I thought Track package was base+Grand Touring+performance options like LSD and Brembos, and such... I thought Track was "fully loaded"...

Perhaps I am wrong, though

I don't get it, either. Track would denote a stripped out near-racer... in a logical world. But we don't live in that world anymore. :rolleyes::lol:

But I think Nissan does the same thing with the Z... Seems to me that the top end model with the forged wheels, and all the sporty goodies is called Track package, and it isn't stripped down, either.

3450lbs for a 4 cyl and 3550 for a 6 cyl is downright piggy. At least the Track edition down to 3200 lbs. But that is still a bit heavy IMO for a "track ready" car. I would like to see a real stripper edition that weighed in at something like 2800 lbs with the 4cyl. I think the car is just too big though for something like that. :(

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I think IWSS has some great points here.

Coupes to me aren't all that practical because needs may change in the future and a car change wont be needed if you get something like.. I dunno.. an LGT. :D but if you dont think that far ahead or have a different set of needs than I do.. a coupe is a great car to get done only what you need to get done and still have fun doing it.

i dunno, i bought my gt with the same imaginary foresight, and as my needs have changed, i don't really find it much more useful than coupes i've owned, perhaps even less for lack of fold down rears, etc.; basically i just have 2 extra doors, which is fun for chucking stuff into rather than trunking, but.. lol.

a gt wagon would have fit my curve better, but i still just can't get that wagon silhouette in my mental driveway. i'd rather have a beater pickup than submit to full-time dd wagon.

i guess my point is basically sedan is not necessarily any more 'practical' than coupe.

we've had a hyundai tib in the family for years now, so i have complete faith in this genesis.

hrmm.. good point.. you know I hadn't really thought about the fold down seat thing lately.. now that you remind me I'm :mad: about it again. :(

I am still mulling over the possibility of a fold down seat conversion.. it would really be worth the cost unless it was more than a grand or so.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

A question. Why are their no magizine reviews on this coupe ? I received four of the major car mags for April and not a peep on this coupe ?

Whats with Hyundai ? Normally before cars start showing at the dealer lots we get a round of reviews ????

Maybe they held it before releasing it to the mags..or maybe even afraid how they may review it?

I like the coupe a lot, but am pretty sure a 2009 WRX would outrun one. The coupe is beautiful, handles well, and seem to be made well.

The door panels are hard and have a little cheaper feel to them, but still better than some Subaru panels (especially prev. generation Impreza models). The seats and leather are incredible, controls are well placed and look higher end. Wheels and brakes are both very night as is the outside of the car (Except the grille). The grille looks cheap and does not fit the higher end they probably would like to project.

The 6 cylinder version has over 300 hp, but it is at 6k and still doesnt seem THAT fast when you drive it to feel the speed/acceleration. It does handle very well, but the ride is choppy because of it. The 2009 WRX rides better on the highway and still has pretty good handling.

6 speed tranny isnt bad. Feel a little like the STI in shifts and the clutch has a good feel to it.

ya know I noticed in the 06 sonata when it came out that although it had "leather" it still felt cheap. Would you say this feeling is gone in the car aside from the door panels and grill?

tbh that grill is so misplaced on the car its almost a deal breaker. It looks like the one they had on one of their earlier cars that were epic fails.

Guest heightsgtltd
ya know I noticed in the 06 sonata when it came out that although it had "leather" it still felt cheap. Would you say this feeling is gone in the car aside from the door panels and grill?

tbh that grill is so misplaced on the car its almost a deal breaker. It looks like the one they had on one of their earlier cars that were epic fails.

Maybe they held it before releasing it to the mags..or maybe even afraid how they may review it?

I like the coupe a lot, but am pretty sure a 2009 WRX would outrun one. The coupe is beautiful, handles well, and seem to be made well.

The door panels are hard and have a little cheaper feel to them, but still better than some Subaru panels (especially prev. generation Impreza models). The seats and leather are incredible, controls are well placed and look higher end. Wheels and brakes are both very night as is the outside of the car (Except the grille). The grille looks cheap and does not fit the higher end they probably would like to project.

The 6 cylinder version has over 300 hp, but it is at 6k and still doesnt seem THAT fast when you drive it to feel the speed/acceleration. It does handle very well, but the ride is choppy because of it. The 2009 WRX rides better on the highway and still has pretty good handling.

6 speed tranny isnt bad. Feel a little like the STI in shifts and the clutch has a good feel to it.

the only qualms about the interior that I have are the odd taper of the center stack, narrower at the top, than at the bend or the bottom behind the shifter... (hope someone does a CF console face or something to blacken it out... silver is techy, but the odd shape is too prominent when brighter than the whole interior otherwise.) Sometimes I wish my Legacy had CF edge covers and piano-black console face, similar to what the ROW legacys have...

And the other is the cross-eyed gauge pod. honestly, is downward slanted gauge-surrounds or just open gauge cluster so hard?

The R8 has a similar double enclosure on it's dash, which are ovoid, and it is also a bit iffy, although the R8's interior otherwise is very, very cool, once a normal sized shift-knob is installed. :D

I guess nobody gets everything 100% right... :D

Archived