LegacyGT.com

Bad clutch rattle After ACT

AGR-LGT

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm serious. Whether I've grown so accustomed to it or I drive around it, I don't notice it.

Likewise. I've had the LWFW + ACT clutch for 90k miles now, the rattle is still there but I wouldn't even think about it if it wasn't for this thread :)

I'm far more concerned about what sounds like the throwout/thrust bearing going bad.

I had the dealer look at mine, and they put it on a lift, and diagnosed it as the center differential inside the transmission. They did the stethoscope and had someone put it in gear while up in the air so they could pinpoint the location of the noise. Its not the flywheel as I suspected, and was bashing my choice for a long time thinking, in error, it was the flywheel.

What I am wondering is, if we are all ruining our center differentials by swapping in a LWFW which may not be appropriate for turning the center diff, and could be causing premature wear and tear. As the dual mass is heavier and can spin the gears easier (i think), so I am wondering if a LWFW is a big mistake for all of us and ruining our transmissions unknowingly.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to thread bump, although I was active on this thread back then, so....

I'm finally happy to get rid of the decel noise and the engaged clutch rattle noise that this ACT had.

I'm not happy with how it failed.

http://www.motate.org/clutch/clutch1.jpg

About 30k miles... The only symptoms were I would get a slight grind going in to reverse, probably from the clutch dragging. Then one day it started shifting really hard and a couple hours later, pop pop, no clutch. ACT says they will most likely warranty it even though it's 2 years old, which is cool of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to bump this thread for the hundredth time. :)

I just installed an ACT Streetlite flywheel and Southbend Stg2 clutch, around 300 miles ago. Same issue as all that I have read with the grinding now in decel at low RPMs. Cleared my conscience a bit.

I was just curious if anyone has any experience with the Southbend clutches doing this as well? I didn't see many (one guy) post about the Southbend clutch, but everyone seemed to have either ACT or Exedy. Have only had the clutch on for about 200 miles now, I hope chatter and driveability get a bit better, because so far it's rather odd. From what I've read, driveability will become better, which is relieving.

Archived