LegacyGT.com

Bad clutch rattle After ACT

AGR-LGT

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest LGT-NY

So is the noise just a nuisance, or is it an indication that somethings isn't right? Also, would I be correct in inferring that the "chattering" also has the potential to wear the FW? Any time there is slapping, knocking or chatter, it's probably wearing down the contact points and could subsequently cause the FW to become unbalanced, no?

Am I reading too far into this? :lol:

I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision before my new clutch goes in.

The plan is to use an ACT Street Series Clutch with a Streetlite FW.

Thanks.

I don't know, just from past experiences ACT clutches are noisy as hell and I wouldn't use one again... My last car went from stock clutch, to Centerforce clutch, to ACT 2600 and none of them had decel noise but the ACT clutch, it was nearly unbearable even in a car with a loudly whining Walbro and open 3" exhaust... That said, it held like no other!

I went with the ACT HD clutch and PP with the streetlight flywheel on my LGT. Break in period is almost over (yay!)! My TOB pretty much fell apart while I was driving. Luckily no tranny damage, snout was clean with no quilling that could be seen/felt. I did order the TSK kit from fredbean's but unfortunately, one of the small retaining tabs on the bearing broke out of the box--had to use the standard TOB and no sleeve.

I do notice a little bit more noise on decel...but nothing major (radio on at lvl 6 and I can't even hear it). If I decel to a very, very low RPM in 2nd or 3rd gear, I will sometimes get a little bit of chatter. Overall, very happy with it and can't wait to romp on it a little bit.

And just want to give a thumbs up to Josh at importimage for an awesome combo deal/fast shipping.

So is the noise just a nuisance, or is it an indication that somethings isn't right? Also, would I be correct in inferring that the "chattering" also has the potential to wear the FW? Any time there is slapping, knocking or chatter, it's probably wearing down the contact points and could subsequently cause the FW to become unbalanced, no?

Am I reading too far into this? :lol:

I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision before my new clutch goes in.

Thanks.

Are the 07+ gears identical to the 05-06 gears? All of the impossibilites must be eliminated before a sweeping conclusion that goes against a myriad of evidence in other applications can be drawn.

In any case, the cause of the gear rattle is the only thing that is up for debate. The fact that it is gear rattle as opposed to true clutch chatter (a shudder felt throughout the vehicle while slipping the clutch) is not. We are essentially in agreement in that the clutch isn't the cause of this since the same clutches in different applications don't cause noise.

Agree with the beginning of this, but do we have evidence of cars that have this exact clutch setup that are not making noise?

I would like to see (ill ask around on NASIOC) if any 2006 WRX have put this clutch in and have this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
It's gear noise. I was with the mechanic when he was poking around with the "stethoscope" and the noise was more pronounced at the tranny housing.

check out this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/act-hd-perf-street-tsk3-126428.html?t=126428

Yep, I just chalk it up to what that thread calls "backlash." For the record, I have this:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/drivetrain-transmission/clutches/act-hd-street-clutch-and-flywheel-kits.html

ACT HD Street clutch and PP, with OEM-style single mass WRX 06+ FW. I also have the TSK3 kit. I also have Kartboy shifter bushings (just the front ones) and a Kartboy short throw shifter, with the OEM round metallic Momo knob.

All of these things will transfer noise into your cabin much more. I even found that the metallic Momo knob makes more noise than the leather Momo knob.

• 2 months later...

So, over the weekend me and other member put an ACT Streetlite flywheel with a Southbend Organic Stg 3 clutch in my car, and a WRX flywheel and Exedy clutch in his car...

I can say without hesitation there isn't a bit of gear whine, clutch chatter, or decel chatter in my car, his car we didn't drive yet... Perhaps I just got lucky, but I think it's the clutch that makes the noise, not the flywheel...

I also think it drives nice, I don't notice the lightweight flywheel being hard to drive at all...

EDIT: Almost a year later my car does have engagement chatter, however no decel chatter.

• 3 months later...

POST 315

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103494&page=13

Many thanks to lots of people here in that posted here and on REXNET (Australia). I had this problem for three years with an Exedy HD clutch, which is the same as a exedy “OEM replacement” but with a different pressure plate (clutch cover).

Good and bad news to people, the problem seems to be the disc springs on exedy clutch. The thing is that exedy "OEM replacement" is NOT OEM! Please see pics below. The real OEM clutch has smaller springs with two extra coils, another spring inside (dual spring) with a subaru part number written on it.

I basically followed the Subaru part of service bulletin (may 1st, 03 NUMBER:03-51-02R) and ordered for my 04 WRX wagon, 5MT 2L turbo

Shopping list

Flywheel: 12342AA071

Clutch Disc: 30100AA881

Clutch cover: 30210AA630

Bearing: 30502AA080

Bolts (need 8 ) 800508310

However I suspect that most people can get away with just the clutch cover and disc replacement. Also I found that redline oil will aggravate the problem, more so if you run heavyweight in the rear diff. I had LWSP in the box and when I flushed it out the rattle decreased but was still there. I suspect due to the friction modifiers causing gear backlash, in short LWSP is too thick for the box, diffs are now quieter as well since switch back to OEM castrol. Also lightweight flywheels will cause this issue but thats been addressed in this thread already.

The real OEM clutch is feather light and grips, its like the new MY08-10 clutch. Not only does it not rattle but it so much smoother, grips better, responded so much better (might also be due to the updated OEM flywheel) and very light. Joy to drive, I can finally go downhill with being embarrassed and drive in traffic without getting a sore knee.

Out with the old

in with the new

Correct, most of us are running the ACT but.......If you follow the thread on Nasioc you will see that it is probably both the exedy and the ACT doing it, as well as the stock WRX clutch.

I think what happens is you get to a point in the deceleration, and the resonance from the gears causes the springs in the pressure plate to rattle.

If you go to the NASIOC threads you will see that the early WRX's had this problem bad with the stock clutch.

Subaru eventually replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and TOB and it fixed the problem.

On there you will find a picture of the pressure plate where it had two sets of springs in it.

I personally have always thought the noise sounded like the springs rattling in the pressure plate. It just sounds like a small spring type rattle.

I think that is what fixed it IMHO

Well today I did what others have said.... Put 34 lbs in the front tires and 32 lbs in the rear tires, added a bit more tranny fluid to put it a bit above the full hole.

This caused the deceleration noise to significantly reduce and shifted the noise to only be right around the 2000 RPM range instead of more around 2500.

So if you have this noise at least give it a shot. I may even go 3 lbs difference front to back to see if that does anything more.

Much happier after trying this. Not perfect but much better.

By the way I have Group N mounts, tranny and engine, and Extra-S fluid.

• 2 months later...
Well today I did what others have said.... Put 34 lbs in the front tires and 32 lbs in the rear tires, added a bit more tranny fluid to put it a bit above the full hole.

This caused the deceleration noise to significantly reduce and shifted the noise to only be right around the 2000 RPM range instead of more around 2500.

So if you have this noise at least give it a shot. I may even go 3 lbs difference front to back to see if that does anything more.

Much happier after trying this. Not perfect but much better.

By the way I have Group N mounts, tranny and engine, and Extra-S fluid.

Just and update to my previous post. This really didn't help that much....

I will say this winter, maybe do to the cold causing the fluid to be a bit thicker, it wasn't near as bad.

Maybe a heavier weight gear oil would be better, not sure if that is possible though.

well, they found nothing wrong in the transmission. Then they put in it someone's stock 06 legacy setup (dual mass fw/clutch) and the sound went away... so it's not the transmission. They said the ACT clutch was fine (obviously nothing wrong with my 06+wrx flywheel). So I'll take a look at it tomorrow and if the clutch is fine I think I just might have to live with it. I'm already down $700 labor for the diagnosis... They installed the new parts end of Aug b/c my DMFW springs went and no warranty.

Good to know its not the tranny. Mine had no noise like this at all before putting the ACT in as well.

I change my fluid every year to year and a half so its been well maintained, overly so.

I personally think its the clutch pressure plate springs but not sure.

I hate the noise though, almost not worth the aftermarket clutch to me.

I didnt think it was the transmission either because it "click/rattles" even when I'm re-engaging the clutch.

How long has this been rattling for you? I'm just going to live with it even though it's on the border of being not worth it. Ugh, anyone have a video/sound clip of the issue to make sure we're all describing the same thing?

• 2 months later...

Here is some info from ACT and a video link of the noise most people are getting:

Deceleration noise (or other gear noises) occurs because of engine pulses being transmitted to the transmission gears. Of course the engine pulses (torsional vibrations) are influenced by a number of things such as compression, boost, timing, cams, etc. What normally helps to dampen these torsional vibrations out are the springs in the clutch disc and the heavy weight of the flywheel. In the case of the 06 thread you reference, keep in mind that the Exedy aftermarket replacement clutch is different from the stock clutch. The stock Subie (Exedy manfactured) clutch conforms to stricter standards and specifications. The OE clutch has a "wide angle damper" design which may or may not be the case with the replacement part. I don't know the exact details in this case without looking at the parts, but we have seen this all the time. Just because it says Exedy doesn't mean it is the same as OE. In some cases the automaker prevents the clutch manufacturer from offering the same part on the aftermarket, since they have a lot invested in testing, tuning the dampening, etc so they can only offer a similar part. Sometimes the clutch manfacturer changes the design on their aftermarket replacement parts to save costs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5X-TprdLcM]YouTube - subaru impreza under car rattle[/ame]

Archived