LegacyGT.com

Bad clutch rattle After ACT

AGR-LGT

Just to confirm, you are using the WRX flywheel and not a LTW flywheel, right?

That is my current setup; 06 wrx fly and ACT HD clutch. like mentioned before, everything "feels" fine, but the rattle is annoying when I am not on the gas and in gear; basically anytime when coasting in gear I have what I think is clutch rattle.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
yup using a stock wrx flywheel. im at about 1k miles so far, normal driving, I might hear some chatter, but If I am, its so minimal I have to stick my head out the window to hear it. Might just be my imagination. I figure why spend around 1k on a clutch/flywheel, and not spend another $160 for the TSK3 kit. Worth it just for the peace of mind if anything

• 1 month later...

Got ACT HD and Streetlite FW. Noisy during deceleration. I hope it goes away but I'll probably get used to it sooner. It's the nature of the beast.

I thought something was wrong until I read these posts. Count me in. lol

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

I wish I read this whole posting on Act noise. For the apst couple of days I have been removing all sorts fo things. Engine cover, turbo heatshield, installed stock downpipe, put spacers between downpipe and firewall, even the large heatshield behind the transmission under the driveshaft. I finally tore out the center console and all shifter boots and drove it bare to hear the noise as close to I can while wathing the driveshaft spin. I finally realized the vibration rattly noise was coming through the transmission. I can't accept that the Stock Dual mass flywheel prevented all this noise. If so, than how come the WRX doesn't have all this noise? What's different?

I'm ready to do the unthinkable and install the soft mushy factory transmission mounts in place of the Group N's.

New mounts might make it worst. It has to do with rotating mass and the harmonics of the firing order. A four cylinder car has a combustion about every 90deg as a 6 will have one every 60 deg. The less time between pistons fireing the "smoother" the power will feel. Under 2k a dual mass would be like a buffer and the weight would carry the power on to the next cycle. A lot of mumbo jumbo for that is the porpose of a dual mass in the frist place.

New mounts might make it worst. It has to do with rotating mass and the harmonics of the firing order. A four cylinder car has a combustion about every 90deg as a 6 will have one every 60 deg. The less time between pistons fireing the "smoother" the power will feel. Under 2k a dual mass would be like a buffer and the weight would carry the power on to the next cycle. A lot of mumbo jumbo for that is the porpose of a dual mass in the frist place.

The WRX or 07 Legacy doesn't has a Dual mass and suffer from this rattle. I notice the noise the loudest after taking your foot off the gas in 3rd 4th or 5th over 40MPH.

The WRX or 07 Legacy doesn't has a Dual mass and suffer from this rattle. I notice the noise the loudest after taking your foot off the gas in 3rd 4th or 5th over 40MPH.

This is exactly my thought and why I'm so screwed up trying to figuire on what set up to buy.

Again, why do 07+ years with no DMFW make noise?

Let me make this easy. Stock dual mass is about 28lbs. Stock WRX is about 21lbs. Act is about 14lbs. Dose this make sense all about rotating mass and inertia. Now spin 14lbs and spin 28lbs the effects make a big diffrence. So you not just losing 14 lbs of you car.

Let me make this easy. Stock dual mass is about 28lbs. Stock WRX is about 21lbs. Act is about 14lbs. Dose this make sense all about rotating mass and inertia. Now spin 14lbs and spin 28lbs the effects make a big diffrence. So you not just losing 14 lbs of you car.

I measured my stock DMF @28LBS and clutch assembly @13LBS.

The new ACT flywheel @25LBS and clutch assembly @14LBS

=2LBS difference.

Anyway tonight I really went into it to make sure the new TSK TOB wasn't making the noise. I noticed the spring in the slave cylinder is so strong it takes all slack out of the clutch fork making the TOB constantly spin. There is absolutely no need for it to be spinning when just cruising, that's why these damn things fail. I tried to install two of the strongest springs at autozone as clutch fork return springs. They could not overcome the spring inside the slave cylinder. Next, I dissaembled the slave cylinder and cut a few coils off the spring inside. Now the return spring can do it's job and keep the TOB off the pressure plate when not needed. Test drove and all noise is still there.

I'll pose the same question to confirm: is the ACT clutch that you guys have installed a sprung hub, or solid hub?

To others point, there is no reason an 06+ WRX-style single mass flywheel should be resulting in any drivetrain noise. It's most likely the clutch/PP.

I got my car back yesterday. I had the Act HD Street kit installed along with the wrx style flywheel. The car feels great. There is absolutely no chatter. I find it pretty easy to drive. It feels like a new car... With the heavier flywheel, the rpms do not drop as fast.

The car feels great:wub:

Mine makes the vibration, rattle noise, especially between 2-3k rpms and most prevalent in 3rd gear. I only have 60 miles or so on the setup. ACT HD + WRX fly and TSK3.

Disregarding the noise I love the new setup. Haven't stalled it once.

Archived