LegacyGT.com

Bad clutch rattle After ACT

AGR-LGT

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as half of you... Read the post after mine was installed. ACT HD clutch and LWFW. I just got the car back last night after a STI swap (due to rod bearing fail) and had them do a little extra while there. Anyhow to the issue at hand:

I noticed the same noise driving it home from garage. Took a little time to play and listen. To me it sounds as if there's a bad TOB. Mine goes away on idle when I engauge the clutch. And on decel it's very noticeable. But when it's under load (on the gas) it's fine. What leads me to think TOB is my old 94 Ranger had the same sound moreso after I replaced the stocker with a Centerforce. I just chalked that up to sh*tty TOB and it ran fine. But the LGT seems much more severe and I don't want to go back down the major repair road if I can get it early. The gear lash thing just doesn't sound viable to me, not saying it's not a contributor but I'm leaning to TOB?

Has anyone come up with a final determination on the cause? Has anyone's noise lead to major failure? How long? Would it be worth mentioning / inquiring to the parts dealers? Or as far as ACT themselves?

Just throwing some ideas out there... I'd like to see a root cause of this before I go digging around trying to solve a mystery.... Thanks.

I can tell you from my personal experience that when my clutch failed (TOB) that a brand new OEM TOB was installed with the ACT setup an it made noise from day one. That is the problem people are replacing clutch before failure or during a build and get the noise from the get go.

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to look into swapping out the TOB. It does blow my mind that "nothing is wrong" with it. It sounds like it's on it's way to failure... but it comes and goes??? But the more miles it seems the better it is. Thanks.

A few things contribute to the noise being audible other than the clutch and flywheel. You're using a LWFW, which will make it even worse.

A STS will make it worse, since the stock shifter is actually a two piece insulated system. Hardened shifter bushings. And yes, even the shifter knob itself.

For me, I have all of these.... shifter, bushings and the aluminum MOMO knob. All of these are very solid contact surfaces, which leads to a lot of noise being transferred from the noisier transmission into the passenger cabin.

I've experimented by removing the knob completely, and it quiets things down appreciably. Never bothered removing the shifter to test, but I assume it'd be a lot quieter as well. The biggest factor would probably be the bushings, but I'll be damned if I ever swap those out. They are single handedly the best upgrade I ever put in to improve shift feel.

This might explain why some people say they get noise, some say they get a LOT of noise, and some don't get anything at all.

Also, I have a TSK3 TOB that came with the sleeve kit. No difference. Don't know if the ACT one would've made any difference.

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to look into swapping out the TOB. It does blow my mind that "nothing is wrong" with it. It sounds like it's on it's way to failure... but it comes and goes??? But the more miles it seems the better it is. Thanks.

It sounds like your problem is the TOB. You probably just have to put a return spring on it.

I meant to include a link for you but the site went down for a minute. This thread talks about the issue and also proposes multiple solutions for it. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spec-stage-2-clutch-pack-and-lwfw-review-78095.html?highlight=clutch+return+spring

Its not the TOB, search NASIOC and all over the web... its something to do with the disc or pressure plate.

TONS of people have this issue with the WRX or lighter flywheel and aftermarket clutch.

I personally believe its the fact that the lighter flywheel does not dampen the gear lash and at a certain frequency it rattles the springs in the clutch disc.

I had my TOB making noise and that is why I had a new clutch put in. No TOB noise now just the gear lash deceleration noise.

If you have deceleration noise I can assure you its not the TOB.

Many of us are using the TSK3 kit with a different TOB all together.

If you pull your clutch back out and put the stock clutch flywheel and pressure plate your problem will be gone.

Solutions... Get used to it or pull the tranny and go back to stock LGT or stock WRX.

I personally can't stand the noise and eventually I will be putting an STI 6 speed in my car so I guess I will live with it until then.

I'm having the same decelerating noise problem, as well as accelerating noise between 2.5k and 3k. My current setup is Exedy stage 1 clutch/pp combined with ACT streetlite fw.

Exedy told me that the noise is caused by the stiffer damper springs in the clutch disc. I also heard that the stage 1 disc is the same as the oem Exedy, but with stiffer damper springs.

I was thinking about using the stock oem clutch disc (the one from the dual mass setup) with the stage 1 pressure plate and act fw. Is this something doable? Will I have noise with that hybrid setup?

That noise is really annoying... :(

I noticed the same noise driving it home from garage. Took a little time to play and listen. To me it sounds as if there's a bad TOB. Mine goes away on idle when I engauge the clutch.

Its not the TOB, search NASIOC and all over the web... its something to do with the disc or pressure plate.

that's a TOB issue, unless he means it goes away when he's coasting with his foot on the clutch

Hmm, maybe you're right. We need him to better describe the noise. If it's a rattling at idle and the car is not moving, that's not right. If it's squealing, it's the TOB noise you linked. If it's rattling while decelerating or coasting, that's just the noisy clutch/FW.

I'm having the same decelerating noise problem, as well as accelerating noise between 2.5k and 3k. My current setup is Exedy stage 1 clutch/pp combined with ACT streetlite fw.

Exedy told me that the noise is caused by the stiffer damper springs in the clutch disc. I also heard that the stage 1 disc is the same as the oem Exedy, but with stiffer damper springs.

I was thinking about using the stock oem clutch disc (the one from the dual mass setup) with the stage 1 pressure plate and act fw. Is this something doable? Will I have noise with that hybrid setup?

That noise is really annoying... :(

I think exedy is correct, I have thought all along it is the springs in the clutch disc.

that's a TOB issue, unless he means it goes away when he's coasting with his foot on the clutch

You are correct if it goes away at idle when you press the clutch, that it is probably the TOB.

The deceleration noise though is for sure the flywheel clutch combo.

He probably has two problems :wub:

You are exactly right Scooby2.5!!! I have more than one problem!!! See pix...

But to elaborate on the clutch issue. With the car stopped (e-brake on) at idle, when I push the clutch pedal in the "rattle" goes away. When I'm coasting in gear (decel) I get a worse "rattle" and shake type noise. But it all goes away when I accelerate, or even feather the gas. None the less, I think I'm going to have them put a TOB in, since the engine is getting pulled again. I've been down this road with my old Rangers - and I'd imagine the LWFW + etc just make it worse. I've heard gear lash problems before, but this doesn't seem anywhere near close to that sound.

And yes... Picked up from garage on Wed night after installing a 47K mile STi used engine (everything fresh except for bearings). Drove wonderfully - till this morning. Guess what??? #2 bearing failure!!! Aren't I so lucky!!!

IMG_0242.thumb.jpg.7ccbd9b5cefe6f8900f53231fd283953.jpg

pushing clutch at idle and noise goes away is TOB I bet.

Noise that happens when decelerating and goes away when you slightly accelerate or push clutch in while decelerating is gear lash that is not being dampened by the flywheel causing rattle with the aftermarket clutch somehow.

See post 123

I still believe it is the springs in clutch disc resonating at a certain frequency on deceleration.

Good luck with the motor.

• 4 months later...

I think I've come across a situation no had commented on in this thread.

Parts: ACT, 06+ WRX flywheel and the TSK3.

Pertinent notes: Roughly 4k miles in I developed the rattle I believe you all are describing. I have always had the chatter, which does not surprise or worry me.

The rattle is upon clutch engagement (only from a stop and only noticeable if I engage in such a way that induces clutch chatter) and decel (most noticeable in third gear decel around 40mph). Thankfully I don't hear it in the cabin whatsoever, but when driving with the windows open it's very evident.

Question: Is it common for the rattle to develop after a few thousand miles driving when it was never experienced from the onset of clutch replacement?

An aside: Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a clicking noise as the clutch pedal is released which I also have, but only upon a slow clutch release (normal release is fast enough not to notice).

I'm in a spot to listen to the video posted, but I'll check it out later.

pushing clutch at idle and noise goes away is TOB I bet.

Can also be input shaft bearings if it rattles substantially while idling in neutral with the clutch out.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 7 months later...
I think I've come across a situation no had commented on in this thread.

Parts: ACT, 06+ WRX flywheel and the TSK3.

Pertinent notes: Roughly 4k miles in I developed the rattle I believe you all are describing. I have always had the chatter, which does not surprise or worry me.

The rattle is upon clutch engagement (only from a stop and only noticeable if I engage in such a way that induces clutch chatter) and decel (most noticeable in third gear decel around 40mph). Thankfully I don't hear it in the cabin whatsoever, but when driving with the windows open it's very evident.

Question: Is it common for the rattle to develop after a few thousand miles driving when it was never experienced from the onset of clutch replacement?

An aside: Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a clicking noise as the clutch pedal is released which I also have, but only upon a slow clutch release (normal release is fast enough not to notice).

I'm in a spot to listen to the video posted, but I'll check it out later.

so what's your end result???

sounds Like I'm having the same problem right now.

I just put in TSK3,exedy stg1 and act fw.

but my pedal have alot of free play & it grab very low. <~~ any pointers?

Just to add what I have, and my experience.

I put in an Exedy 06 WRX clutch and flywheel. It runs perfectly and didn't hear any noise until I put in full transmission bushings...pitch, mount and crossmember. Then I noticed the rattle, grind, chatter. Also have a 3rd to 4th grind now but planning to get the extra-s from Infamous, his shipping is cheaper than competitor.

So, for me the 06 wrx setup was just fine and quiet until I replaced the bushing, however the caveat is, with stock bushings the transmission lurched very badly, the mounts cured it, but now I have the trade off with the noise. Drive-ability vs. Noise

• 6 months later...
Sorry for bumping an old thread but jesus this noise is massively annoying. I just installed a competition stage 2 kit with a lwfw and I expected some noise. Almost everything I've done to my car has increased NVH at least a bit but this is so bad. It seriously sounds like on decel while in gear (mostly 2,3 and 4th) like theres rocks in the trans. I guess it doesnt help that Ive got a cobb sts,front and rear shifter bushings and just put in group N crossmember bushings. Does anyone have this clutch and did it get any better with time? Or do I live with it? I honestly want to just pull the trans again and put the stock stuff back in (I replaced it because of the TOB). But its just not a job I'm looking forward to doing again.

Just FYI the LWFW makes it worse but many still have this with the WRX flywheel.

Because of this when I put my 6 speed in I went with a different brand of clutch and it was much better to non existent.

I think something in the clutch disc or pressure plate of the ACT clutches causes this.

My guess has always been the springs in the clutch disc rattling but I am not sure.

It drove me crazy as well on decal. I put a clutch masters clutch in with my 6 speed and while it has a little noise its NOTHING compared to the ACT in the 5 speed.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but jesus this noise is massively annoying. I just installed a competition stage 2 kit with a lwfw and I expected some noise. Almost everything I've done to my car has increased NVH at least a bit but this is so bad. It seriously sounds like on decel while in gear (mostly 2,3 and 4th) like theres rocks in the trans. I guess it doesnt help that Ive got a cobb sts,front and rear shifter bushings and just put in group N crossmember bushings. Does anyone have this clutch and did it get any better with time? Or do I live with it? I honestly want to just pull the trans again and put the stock stuff back in (I replaced it because of the TOB). But its just not a job I'm looking forward to doing again.

Yep, the LWFW makes the noise worse, it's been talked about here for years. I have learned to coast in a lot of cases when you need to decel in 3rd/4th gear. I have had a LWFW since Jun 07, I'm used to it and have learned to live with it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived