• Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
    • Yokohoma S.drive
    • General Exclaim UHP
    • Other

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I am also looking to get new set of summer tires. These will be summer tires only as my LGT has a dedicated winter tires (Dunlop M3). I do drive somewhat aggressive and I also autox so traction and grip is very important. I was originally thinking about going with Falken Azenis RT-615 since a lot of guys at autox praised them but I also heard other tires recommended for daily driving and autox (like Dunlop Direzza Z1). With both though I am somewhat concerned about poor wet traction that is mentioned in reviews.

Did anyone have both ? Can you guys recommend one over the other ? I plan on mounting them on stock 17" wheels going 225/45-R17.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

SubOp, the Falken is an obsolete tire now.

Z1 is a great tire. I haven't driven enough on them last fall before my car died so I don't remember much rain driving, but I don't remember any issues either.

Can't be beat for the money. I also have RE050A PP and it's a great tire, too. Quieter than Z1.

SubOp, the Falken is an obsolete tire now.

Z1 is a great tire. I haven't driven enough on them last fall before my car died so I don't remember much rain driving, but I don't remember any issues either.

Can't be beat for the money. I also have RE050A PP and it's a great tire, too. Quieter than Z1.

thanks unclemat. How would you compare grip between RE050A and Z1 then ? I will not be buying a dedicated autox set so whatever I pickup for summer will have to do for both daily driving and autox...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I'm looking into summer tires too, I've come down to either the Z1 Star Spec, or the Yokohama S.Drives. I liked the re05a's that came with the spec b, but they lasted about 20k miles, and i'll be doing more highway driving this summer, so I'm willing to take a small sacrifice in performance to have better treadwear. I am kinda worried that the Z1s will be too grippy and will die fast. I don't do autocross on them, just spirited summer driving. I've heard great things about the S.Drives though...

On my second set of GSD3s and love them. To each their own. I do not track the car. I think you will find alot of support on here for the GSD3s..

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Ill be purchasing Nitto Invo's in 225/45/17 or BFG GForce KDW2's in the same size. Like the KDW's and have had them on several cars. But im tempted to try the nittos. especially at this price. --->http://www.onlinetires.com/default.aspx?PageData=tireResults

:eek:

I've only seen good reviews on the Nitto Invo. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anybody who's run them. I was also considering them .....

I am looking for summer tires and leaning to the Z1s at the moment. Seems like the only complaints are noise and treadwear. Ill have to research the SDrives cause I havent seen much on them. Anyone use Goodyear F1 GS-D3? I was also considering them.
Had a set and liked them. Predictable, good grip, excellent wet grip, good wear, pretty good ride and noise.

I haven't owned the Z1's yet. I'll get them if it looks like I'll have a chance to do some autox this year. They have a great rep for competition, but I'll put 10,000 miles on them in a season and want to be sure they'll last for that much, at least.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 weeks later...
Had a set and liked them. Predictable, good grip, excellent wet grip, good wear, pretty good ride and noise.

I haven't owned the Z1's yet. I'll get them if it looks like I'll have a chance to do some autox this year. They have a great rep for competition, but I'll put 10,000 miles on them in a season and want to be sure they'll last for that much, at least.

What sizes are you guys buying your Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in? They don't seem to have too many options for 18 inch rim guys. They have the 225/40/18s, but the stock tires are 215/45/18. Will the change from 45 to 40 do anything? I'm thinking that a lower profile will make the ride worse, and just increase the wheel gap (and need for me to get springs). Anyone have input into this? After doing research into these tires, I might be sold on getting some, just concerned about the size...

What sizes are you guys buying your Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in? They don't seem to have too many options for 18 inch rim guys. They have the 225/40/18s, but the stock tires are 215/45/18. Will the change from 45 to 40 do anything? I'm thinking that a lower profile will make the ride worse, and just increase the wheel gap (and need for me to get springs). Anyone have input into this? After doing research into these tires, I might be sold on getting some, just concerned about the size...

215/45/18 has limited options. the difference from a 215/45/18 to 225/40/18 is small. you will have a slightly shorter sidewall, but only by around 3/10 inch. 225/40/18 is a very popular size but most people use an 8" wide rim for that size.

the Z1 Star specs are more expensive, more aggressive, better handling, but i think also faster wearing tires. If the Z1's treadwear didn't suck, i'd be all over them. I dunno, i'm leaning toward the yokohama s.drives. Good price, good treadwear, still pretty grippy tires.

Archived