LegacyGT.com

Visiting SoCal - What should I do/avoid?

Legend

My wife, 5yo, and I are flying into SD 1/9. We are staying in Solano Beach for a week. We plan to spend a day in SD (probably Tijuana too.... ugh....) and at least 1 day at Disneyland, and another day or two doing Universal Studios, etc.

Curious to know if anyone knows how to get a good discount to Disney or other attractions, must-do things or tourist traps to be avoided.

If anyone near Solano wants to give me a ride in their stage2+ LGT, that would be cool too.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dont go to to tijuana.

people get kidnapped over there. some anti-kidnapping expert went down for a consulting job... and then HE got kidnapped. seriously for your safety, and especially your 5 year old.. dont go to tijuana.

but restaurants that are pretty decent: phil's bbq near the sports arena. 10 minutes from sea world.

benihana in carlsbad has all you can eat sushi/sashimi if you like japanese food. totally worth the 30/adult price.

theres a place called izakaya maya that has japanese style tapas. very good food.

extraordinary desserts seems to be a favorite around here..

hope this helps.

again, i reiterate... DO NOT go to mexico. they're pissed that we shut down one of their major drug trafficing routes and i think they're retaliating...

car for sale. PM me!

+1 on La Jolla, zoo, and balboa park.

+1 on Tijuana. Avoid if possible.

+1 on lawl's car. It's the business.

There's a pretty solid pizza joint in Solana Beach called Pizza Port. Good pie, good beer, and a pretty good atmosphere. I'm sure you'll partake in some fine dining while you're out this way, but if you're looking to wear jeans and chucks to a place for a good dinner, this would be ideal.

Wild animal park is pretty cool, and the kiddies love it. Might want to check out what's going on at the Del Mar fairgrounds. I'm sure there's an event calendar online...

If you're looking for more places to eat in the area, I live/work just south of Solana and I've found some good places.

If you must go to Mexico (for whatever sick reason), leave the car in the US. They have "professionals" who will jump out in front of your car, get "hit", and knowing you will be detained by the police will shake you down for a payoff. If you want to see Mexicans, half of them are already in California!

Pizza Port is very good, I would definitely go there. And if you want the best burger in San Diego its in North Park, a place called Western Steak Burger.

Aside from those places you should also check out The Spot in La Jolla. Its my local "pub/grill" and the people you meet there make the place so awesome. I think a famous author once said spend a night in a town's pub to see what the town is really like. I think that statement is right on the money and if you think so too The Spot is the place to go. Its also a family restaurant so you can bring the family but its the people you meet randomly at the bar that make it so special.

^ n00bs below this line

I think all these other Ghey's already named off everything that is nice to do. The good part about the wild animal park is that its not the time of year when its REALLY hot out there (100+) but it is a great place to visit and beautiful this time of year through spring time.

Nicky Rottens has GREAT burgers. Pizza port is a nice place to just hangout at for dinner as well.

As others have said though I would stay away from TJ because lately there has been just to much mexican mafia stuff going down there. Keep yourself and your family safe by staying north of the border.

Thanks a lot, guys. This is helping a lot. Howsabout any inside info on discounts? Maybe we'll just have to do a timeshare presentation somewhere the first day we're there like we did in Myrtle Beach, SC last January to score deep discounts. PITA for a couple hours but worth saving $$.

IN

- In and Out

- Wild Animal Park

- Benihana in Carlsbad (I'm a sushi freak. $30 all you can eat? Sold!)

- Disneyland

- Pizza Port

- The Spot (La Jolla)

- Lawl's car

CONSIDERING

- Sea World

- Universal Studios

- Legoland

OUT

- Tijuana (thanks, I'm glad I asked about this)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Avoid universal studios or anything in that general vicinity, it is way too far north from where you are based and will take hrs and be a traffic nightmare, Disneyland is doable since that is farther south in OC but anything north in LA county you should forget about. Not being a local you don't know any of the natural traffic flows and I guarantee you'll ruin your day becaus of it. Stick to the other areas you mentioned and you should be cool

If you are looking for a fun drive you might want to check out Julian. Its a half day trip and they are known for anything with apples, namely their apple pie.

I would also recommend going over the Coronado bridge just to say you did it. Its also fun to go to Sea Port Village in the harbor in downtown and you can take a water taxi over to Coronado.

^ n00bs below this line

lol @ my car being an attraction. im sure ur wife would LOOOOVE that.

btw when you go to the benihana, make sure u tell the front desk lady you're there for the all you can eat sushi... not the food show that benihana is usually known for.

car for sale. PM me!

dont go to to tijuana.

people get kidnapped over there. some anti-kidnapping expert went down for a consulting job... and then HE got kidnapped. seriously for your safety, and especially your 5 year old.. dont go to tijuana.

again, i reiterate... DO NOT go to mexico. they're pissed that we shut down one of their major drug trafficing routes and i think they're retaliating...

+1 on Tijuana. Avoid if possible.

seriously?? Are you basing this on 1st hand experiences or what was fed to you by the media??

Don't believe all the hype about TJ. It is still safe to visit and even if you're a gringo. There is plenty to enjoy and the food kicks ass too. Oh and you can find some kick as deals on things too.

:munch:

Archived