LegacyGT.com

Visiting SoCal - What should I do/avoid?

Legend

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tijuana isn't THAT bad. Just like any other tourist spot...you have to use common sense and be careful. There are plenty of parts of So Cal that are just as bad if not worse than TJ.

I use to go down to TJ and party at Revolution Avenue all the time when I was under 21. We would go with a group...sometimes very large group. They banned the military from going to TJ coz they would get CRAZY drunk and their buddies would have to carry them after passing out. I witnessed some hilarious sites. They even had U.S. Navy vans driving around picking-up out of control sailors.

Re: family it's ok to go in the DAYTIME, park in S.D. and walk across. It is the most heavily travelled border point in the world. They search when you walk back over so don't think about trying any illegal fireworks or what not. Plus make sure you are nice to the U.S. guards and state in you are a U.S. citizen.

Yes the Mexican food in S.D. is the bomb. Go to Ocean, Pacific, Mission beaches...La Jolla is cool too. There are a lot of drunk hooligans so watch your back.

No Legacies to rent :icon_cry:

You drive a legacy each and every day, why do you need to rent one when youre a away? Obsessed much? :lol:

btw if you want to rent quality drivers cars, Hertz has some of the best selection, i stick w hertz club gold now when i fly out of town to get my fix of Audis, Inifinitis, whatever.

Life's a buffet, theres other good cars to try out and what better way than a rental?

American - made rentals are fun and interesting comparison to our Legacy's. Wouldn't want to buy one though. I was very impressed with the strong suspension and brakes. The shocks can go right over a speed bump like nothing...whereas my stock Subie would get worked. Brakes are extremely strong "as is" too. The handling was just awful though...a total joke in comparison.

The Charger is nice. I always liked Dodge/Chrysler the most out of the big 3.

Like others have mentioned Tijuana is bad but it's not as bad as the media says. Sadly it has always been a place that is not tourist friendly because there are a lot of people who take advantage of gringos, like the police. The best way to see TJ is with someone who knows their way around. There is no other place (that I know) where you can get lobster, beans, rice and flour tortillas like you can in Puerto Nuevo and the Carretera Escénica to Ensenada is a great drive. The worst area in TJ is Revolución, and that's what most americans know. The area is next to Tijuana's Red Light District! I go to Tijuana every weekend to visit family and friends who live there. None of them have had anything bad happen to them (knock on wood) but my roommate had his car stolen right in front of our house in Mission Hills. Go figure.

Sadly even with all the good things and good areas the city has to offer, the loooong lines to cross the border back to the US are just enough to make us think twice before visiting, even with having a SENTRI lane pass.

Back on topic. For a great Mexican food place that I love, go to Nati's in Ocean beach on Bacon St. The Chimichanga and the Albondiga Soup are awesome!

You could also try Ortega's in Hillcrest for some Puerto Nuevo style lobster. It's not as good as the original, but it's not too bad.

Archived