LegacyGT.com

Visiting SoCal - What should I do/avoid?

Legend

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I have not personally been kidnapped and held for ransom.

me neither.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/dec/15/lt-mexico-american-kidnapped-121508/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1580943/Tijuana-tourism-halved-by-kidnapping-scares.html

there's more if you google kidnappings tijuana.

im not saying he WILL get kidnapped or whatever. but do the benefits outweigh the risks?

car for sale. PM me!

I'll second the recommendation for Extraordinary Desserts. It's right near the zoo. BIG hit, especially among women.

Providing some extra support for Karen Krasne and Extraordinary Desserts! This place is really really good! Very beautifully made desserts (they have flower petals on them?!? :orly:). It was a big hit with the lady, and I never would have known about it! Thanks to the guys here!

P.S. Be prepared to spend a bit on the desserts, and I would recommend having them there instead of getting them to go.

Disneyland (depending on where in SD you'll be) could be 100 fun-filled trafficy miles, so you may want let us know when you plan on visiting and we could probably tell you when you would want to leave.

You might want to look around for coupons (maybe your work offers some?) as Disneyland and a lot of the theme parks can be quite expensive.

Ahhh, I wish SD was closer, all these food recommendations are making me hungry.

I just moved to Tustin recently, but I lived in Irvine before (so no real change of scenery).

Anyone know of some hidden gems in the Tustin/Santa Ana area?

I should just create a new topic :)

Don't believe all the hype about TJ. It is still safe to visit and even if you're a gringo. There is plenty to enjoy and the food kicks ass too. Oh and you can find some kick as deals on things too.

We had heard lots of scary things about Jamaica (visited earlier this year) and decided to go anyways... but then again we were part of a large group and not near as vulnerable. At any rate, we won't be going to TJ. I don't feel it is worth the risk, there is plenty else to do in SoCal, and we usually get to Mexico (PV, Cabo, or Mazatlan) once a year anyhow. We'll pass.

As for Disneyland, with my 5yo that is the #1 thing on our list. We'll be going Monday, 1/12 and want to be at the gates by 9:30am. How much time should I budget for the drive?

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

If you leave at 8 am you should be at the gate around 10.

From Oceanside where I used to live it takes 1 hr to drive without traffic and another 30 minutes with parking etc... to get to the gate.

If your staying in solana beach then I'd say to leave at like 7:30 or you can leave at 7 and if you get there slightly early grab a bite to eat with the family before you go in. Also once you get to Disneyland make sure you go eat at RedRockets Pizza Port and get the Chicken Fazzoli pasta. (IT IS AMAZING!!!!!) they have pizza there that is good also.

• 3 weeks later...

It's day 5 in Solana Beach. Some automotive thoughts of SoCal so far:

- Is the G35/Z the official state car? There are a ton of those out here.

- More Bentley's here than in Colorado for sure. That goes for Mercedes and BMW's also.

- SoCal drivers just don't understand the fast lane. It's for passing. That's it. People out here just stay there. I've never had to pass so much on the right. Sure, they might be going 75mph, but when the 2 lanes to the right are vacant and somebody comes from behind at 80mph, why the hell don't they move over?

- Also seen more Smart Cars here... only seen one or two in Colorado ever.

- Where are the Subaru's? I think those are the official state car in Colorado. I've seen just one LGT all week.

- The traffic is unbearable. I just could not take it long term. I've had few moments to floor it in my Altima 2.5 rental (which is pretty uninspiring). I need some open roads sometimes and just really haven't found any and I've driven over 600 miles between LA and SD and vicinity.

(Side note: SD and the whole area is really, really pretty and the weather has been great. People have been great too. We are having a great time.)

My '05 LGT

- More Bentley's here than in Colorado for sure. That goes for Mercedes and BMW's also.

- SoCal drivers just don't understand the fast lane. It's for passing. That's it. People out here just stay there. I've never had to pass so much on the right. Sure, they might be going 75mph, but when the 2 lanes to the right are vacant and somebody comes from behind at 80mph, why the hell don't they move over?

- Where are the Subaru's? I think those are the official state car in Colorado. I've seen just one LGT all week.

- The traffic is unbearable. I just could not take it long term. I've had few moments to floor it in my Altima 2.5 rental (which is pretty uninspiring). I need some open roads sometimes and just really haven't found any and I've driven over 600 miles between LA and SD and vicinity.

(Side note: SD and the whole area is really, really pretty and the weather has been great. People have been great too. We are having a great time.)

:lol:

Welcome to California.

hope our suggestions have been helping :)

car for sale. PM me!

Yep, lots of money in socal. Varies by location. I grew up in Orange (average lower-middle to middle class areas) and didn't see too many luxury cars. When I moved to Irvine (more expensive area), I saw WAY more BMWs, Mercedes, etc.

Some people feel that they're going "fast enough" and think they own the road. They think that somehow they've picked the magic speed that nobody should "need" to exceed. If you want to go faster than them, that's your problem. I find that some people will pull over if I flash my lights to let them know I'm there.

With all this great weather, nobody cares about all wheel drive like they do in areas that get snow. Subarus are FAR more popular back east, utah, colorado, northwest states. If you go up to Big Bear (closest ski slopes), you'll see a good deal more subarus.

You learn ways around it, time your drives to avoid the particularly bad times, or just learn to accept it.

You learn ways around it, time your drives to avoid the particularly bad times, or just learn to accept it.

Exactly, the only way to learn to deal w the trafffic is to live here and 'learn the flows' that means knowing which freeways get bogged down when, which direction, and what alternate routes are avail.

Visitors can never posssibly be here long enough to pick this up, so they'll always find it a frustrating experience.

Yeah, your suggestions have helped, gang. Thanks!

Highlights so far:

- Buying tickets on craigslist. I bought Wild Animal Park, Disneyland, and Universal Studios tickets from locals in SD. One met me by the airport and one met me near my resort. Got a steal on the WAP and Universal tickets and ended up paying less than half price for the group as a whlole. ;)

- Lines. Small crowds everywhere meant NOT waiting in line at Disneyland or Universal studio. Next time I visit SoCal it will be in January again.

- Filipi's Pizza Grotto in Little Italy. That place is very cool!

- Universal - The Simpson's ride is awesome! Selling huge fat cans of Heineken on every corner meant I only had 3 beers all day! Love walking around with a beer when I can... unlike Disneyland which is bone dry.

- Disneyland - The light/sound/water show at the end of the night was awesome and my 5yo had the time of her life! Ate at Pizza Port.. was merely okay. Disneyland seems kinda old... needs more updating.. Universal clearly makes more of an effort to keep their stuff fresh. Then again, I suppose most the DL stuff is fresh for the kiddos.

- Ruby's on the pier in Oceanside... been a few years since I'd been there.

- The wealth. Think we'd be below average wealth here... at least in Colorado I feel like we are doing pretty good. :rolleyes:

My '05 LGT

An important distinction needs to be made between cost of living and cost of labor. Even though a house is +/- 8x more expensive here than it is back home, doesn't mean that the masses earn 8x the salary. I can guarantee you I did not get an 800% raise when I was relocated out here in September. I was reminded several times that the sun and sand are part of my total comp package. If I wanted more $$, they offered to move me to Albuquerque - it's very difficult to get people to move there. Not so much to San Diego...

An important distinction needs to be made between cost of living and cost of labor. Even though a house is +/- 8x more expensive here than it is back home, doesn't mean that the masses earn 8x the salary. I can guarantee you I did not get an 800% raise when I was relocated out here in September. I was reminded several times that the sun and sand are part of my total comp package. If I wanted more $$, they offered to move me to Albuquerque - it's very difficult to get people to move there. Not so much to San Diego...
Of course salaries don't have a linear relationship with housing prices. You spend money on things other than housing that don't vary with geography. A better way to look at it is what percentage of your income goes to housing. That is a common method for relating salaries to cost of living for a given region. Californian's do pay a higher than average percentage of income on housing though.

I thought New Mexico would have plenty of Sun AND Sand :lol:

Hilarious that you mention that....

I was walking into work (yes I walk to work) and I saw a red LGT with budget rent-a-car plates. I didn't put it up on the spotted forum because I figured it was a budget rent-a-car. Seemed logical at the time, but in retrospect, I'm pretty surprised that they rent LGTs. Anyway, it looked good. :)

Archived