LegacyGT.com

50$ mod to eliminate intercooler heat soak

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the concept of this....it essentially follows the logic of a radiator fan and a similar style of execution. If it also helps keep overall engine bay temps, on average, cooler, then all the better....

Moving more air around the engine when at ultra-low speeds can't hurt much :)

Joe

I like the concept of this....it essentially follows the logic of a radiator fan and a similar style of execution. If it also helps keep overall engine bay temps, on average, cooler, then all the better....

Moving more air around the engine when at ultra-low speeds can't hurt much :)

Joe

thats the idea ..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Just curious why didn't you buy a smaller fan? Like a Spal 5.2" or 6.5" slim or something?

http://www.jaycorptech.com/showcategory.aspx?categoryid=2

well the one i chose was the thinnest one i could find at a resonable price.

a smaller fan would not cover the entire surface .. and maybe cause some air to go back up the inter cooler then back down and then back up.

I kinda like the idea, or at least the concept, but you are sacrificing cooling capabilities when you get to higher speeds. Even when you turn the fan off, the air naturally moving across the intercooler when you speed up is being used to rotate the fan. This in turn slows the air down because you are removing energy from the air, but I'd have to run the numbers to see by how much. I would be curious to see what the life of the fan is going to be, too, since you are essentially running it nonstop while you are driving, whether it is turned on by you at a stop, or moving because of the forced air (probably comparable to a radiator fan). Is the heat soak at idle worse than sacrificing performance at higher speeds? I can't answer that question. I know in my STi I had a water-cooled TMIC, but that's probably more expensive and time-consuming to set up.

Edit: With regards to the fan "free-running". Depending on how good the bearings are, the momentum energy from the forced air used to spin the fan when you are driving will come back when you slow down. So, if you're traveling at 70 mph, then get off the highway and stop at a light, the fan will still be spinning, just decelerating.

yea you know that had me thinking the other day about other methods of cooling the IC besides air. I have the same problem as the op really, during the summer here in Ga I get heatsoak and my car is a DOG.

it makes the winter months more rewarding tho.. so its not the end of the world.

You know if you were really hoping for cool air and didnt mind not having a/c you could use the a/c compressor system to make some kind of cooled IC system.. but I think that'd be overkill and probably wouldn't help enough to warrant the compressor load, even on a racer.. that was just my mind wandering yesterday lol.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

So.... you got a fan for when the IC is not needed and you don't have any hot air to cool, that will obscure air flow when you're really moving, and have lots of hot air to cool

http://theyankeesscottishprincess.mlblogs.com/Thumbs%20Up.jpg

its attached to the intercooler with some lil aluminum brakets i made ...

and those who are worrieing about the high speed driving the fan being a restriction .. well maybe it is .. but there is pleanty of air moving past it for it to do its job ..

This idea is actually better than the japanese aftermarket part as it is positioned behind the intercooler rather than in front of it. I always think that with the fan positioned in front of the intercooler, the central hub of the fan will be blocking a significant area right in the middle of the intercooler (about 1/9th of its area). When travelling at high speeds, the blades may also not be spinning fast enough and obstruct additional air too.

Placing the fan behind the intercooler will allow the intercooler to be fully exposed to the on comming air flow. Although the fan hub behind the intercooler will still create some restriction and back pressure reducing airflow slightly but it will be much better than placing the fan at the front. I guess that tiny additional restriction might be worth it if it eliminates the heat soak.

To make the system better, the fan could be moved further back so there is more space for the air exiting the intercooler to go around the central fan hub and a shroud will need be built between the fan and the intercooler to channel the airflow.

I am not sure if there will be enough space behind the intercooler for such a system though.

Edit:

hey cool!! this might work!!! :

Good concept I reckon. Japanparts sell an intercooler fan made by Marche but they want an arm and a leg for it. Also found this one as well.

http://www.atsracing.net/IntercoolerFanandShroud.htm

all this does is eliminate the chiminy effect all the hot under hood air passing through the inter cooler on its way out.. it keeps pulling cold air down.

What about when its 95 degrees outside? Or it's pulling in hot air off the hood? Hot air rises...thus out of the scoop. Your just pushing more down. If the fan is strong enough I guess it could help :confused:

Wow! I like the idea and implementation!

it will be even more useful to have some thermo relay attached to IC, switching on and off this fan.

Wondering, will it work with IC sprayer? I doubt it will survive for a long.. To bad I have sprayer installed recently.

There are no bad people, just differeent.

walk through .. buy fan .. trim fan so it fits in between tanks.. use supplyed mounting hardware .. bend the little vent tube thingy next to the tranny mount.. connect teh power wires to something put inter cooler back on and drive it !

I would imagine you could get a big fan like that and set it to a slow speed and let it run whenever the car is on. That way you wouldnt need to worry about turning it on or off and it wouldnt be a hinderance at high speeds.

Its the same idea as using a giant slow spinning fan in a computer case instead of multiple smaller and faster fans.

^ n00bs below this line

Archived