LegacyGT.com

Snows, AWD and my right foot

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man you gotta test that out before they are a wife...

my ex passed that test. I would take her out in the jetboat and get the boat 5 feet out of the water (mind you a 15ft jetboat) and rip 360s and she would hang on for dear life with a smile

man you gotta test that out before they are a wife...

my ex passed that test. I would take her out in the jetboat and get the boat 5 feet out of the water (mind you a 15ft jetboat) and rip 360s and she would hang on for dear life with a smile

Ohh wifey can deal with the Jet-ski just fine she loves it, but car nooo, jack i get car sick stop waaaah, STFU

does donuts and other fun snow driving mess up your alignment? i used to do all sorts of crap in my old car in the snow and i'd always have bad alignment....figured it could have been attributed to that.

FWD car....gas, turn, e-brake and wheeeee...

^ ha, maybe FWD was a reason for the alignment..

no, unless you have loose bolts or if you hit something hard or if you do it in a lot full of ice, a speed bump does more harm on your alignment... oh and dont yank the parking brake too much on these cars, i hear the center diff doesn't like it that much. if you must, clutch in beforehand to relieve pressure on the center diff, then clutch back in once you get the rears loose

::edit::

haha just noticed you got 5EAT, my condolences :p

No laughing at the 4/5EAT owners out there, we can have all kinds of fun too. Just lock it into gear with the manumatic mode and all is good, plus no clutch/stalls to worry about.

Only issue with AWD is that you can get up to speed too easily and forget that you may not be able to stop when necessary...I call that "SUV syndrome". :rolleyes:

haha just noticed you got 5EAT, my condolences :p

No laughing at the 4/5EAT owners out there, we can have all kinds of fun too. Just lock it into gear with the manumatic mode and all is good, plus no clutch/stalls to worry about.

Only issue with AWD is that you can get up to speed too easily and forget that you may not be able to stop when necessary...I call that "SUV syndrome". :rolleyes:

Also knows as AWD overconfidence.

I would think the 5EAT/5MT owners would have the same experience. The 5EAT is a 45/55 split with viscous differentials and the 5MT is a 50/50 split with viscous differentials. Just slap the sportshift into M mode and I'm sure it would be fun.

It's the 4EAT owners that I think would have the less "exciting" experience. Their AWD system is set up 90/10 until slippage is detected. Primarily a FWD vehicle until slipage occurs.

Very true with the 4EAT...ask me how I know! The front plows only for a second or two before the back end kicks out in an almost RWD type fashion when the split moves more toward the rear. I know it took me by surprise the first couple of times when I played around in the snow, being accustomed to many years of RWD experience. If you let off the throttle and back on when the slide starts the center diff goes back to 90/10 mode and it will almost yank the front in the direction the tires are pointed and snap the rear in the opposite direction. Once mastered, it is quite fun.

My wife's 02 Forester has a different split setup, don't know what it is, but is certainly isn't 90/10. Her car takes a bit of work to get a drift going, as the rear doesn't kick out as easily, so you have to have some additional speed/momentum. Also, if one of her wheels does grab traction the diffs slam like a hammer hitting the floor boards, it is almost violent, so I don't push her car like my Leggy.

Very true with the 4EAT...ask me how I know! The front plows only for a second or two before the back end kicks out in an almost RWD type fashion when the split moves more toward the rear. I know it took me by surprise the first couple of times when I played around in the snow, being accustomed to many years of RWD experience. If you let off the throttle and back on when the slide starts the center diff goes back to 90/10 mode and it will almost yank the front in the direction the tires are pointed and snap the rear in the opposite direction. Once mastered, it is quite fun.

My wife's 02 Forester has a different split setup, don't know what it is, but is certainly isn't 90/10. Her car takes a bit of work to get a drift going, as the rear doesn't kick out as easily, so you have to have some additional speed/momentum. Also, if one of her wheels does grab traction the diffs slam like a hammer hitting the floor boards, it is almost violent, so I don't push her car like my Leggy.

Oh yes, AWD does take some getting used to. I'm coming from a fairly torquey FWD turbo 4 and the whole understeer off the gas, oversteer on the gas thing takes some getting used to.

Oh yes, AWD does take some getting used to. I'm coming from a fairly torquey FWD turbo 4 and the whole understeer off the gas, oversteer on the gas thing takes some getting used to.

All my previous (real) rides have been RWD either N/A 4cyl, turbo 4cyl or V8, so throttle on oversteer is 'normal' in my book. Growing up on gravel roads helped too. Nothing like flying along at 75mph on a gravel road when your 16yrs old with all that experience keeping you between the ditches (usually :eek:) ...I sometimes wonder how I am still walking this earth! :spin:

This is my second winter with the legacy and i just got back from my lunch where i did some fun driving in a condo complex they are building across the street. Of course its not plowed since noone lives there yet. I have a 5eat and all i have to say is im glad it doesnt auto shift if you hit the rev limiter for a while:lol:, some cars i have driven that have a sport manual mode shift if you are hitting red line for a second or two.

my first winter with my legacy gt as well...and today was our first real snow fall up in here in montreal ....damn this car is nearly unstoppable on snow ...not to mention its fun as shit :D

Glad you are enjoying it, but there's enough stories on here, and other Subaru boards with the same thoughts, only to be shattered by hitting a kerb, or a post, or something else.

Even though you have AWD, you can only stop as quickly as a FWD drive car ;)

Glad you are enjoying it, but there's enough stories on here, and other Subaru boards with the same thoughts, only to be shattered by hitting a kerb, or a post, or something else.

Lies, throw that bitch in reverse and mash the gas :lol:

yes of course but i did say NEARLY unstoppable lol....but seriously yea theres always a limit, cant get to crazy

Lies, throw that bitch in reverse and mash the gas :lol:

Hahaha I was laughing at that one, then I seriously thought about it. If you brake hard and lock up the wheels on the snow, you won't grind when you throw it into reverse while you're moving forward, then you can mash the gas in reverse! You better have some fast reaction time.

Not that I'd recommend doing that.:rolleyes:

Archived