LegacyGT.com

Snows, AWD and my right foot

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
target fixation is basically the phenomenon where someone will be staring so intently at something, that they will end up driving right into it. It sometimes happens to pilots and moreso to cretin drivers.

more to motorcycle riders than anything else. one of the biggest causes of bike wrecks is object fixation in a corner with new riders.

we had soooo many wrecks come through the shop, this being the reason.

only 2nd to the insane amount of people that object fixated while driving their car... and hit a bike. those were the main repairs/ins estimates we dealt with.

If you really want to see this target fixation thing in action, go for a walk on a sidewalk where little kids are learning to ride bicycles. They see you walking toward them, stare at you, and head right at you, unable to turn away (and their parents are running and screaming at them the whole time -- it's hilarious if you're ready to jump out of the way). HPH

We finally got some snow here in PA and I thoroughly enjoyed driving around with the Nokians on. I didnt get to drive in any snow last year so this was my first experience with them. Handled great and has sooooo much more lateral stability than the stockers when making turns through piles of slush. I was behind some guy in a mustang going up an incline and he could barely get up the hill, I was jut rolling along in second gear and could have pushed him up if I wanted to.

I was fooling around yesterday on a road with packed snow, brought the tail out a wee bit too much, it overtook the momentum of the front and I ended up going straight into a curb, over the curb, on the sidewalk and I put it back on the road trying to make it look as if I meant to do that, lulz.

It was warehouse district, not a soul around and the said curb was covered with said packed snow so the "transition" was smoother than going over a speed bump at 5mph. I got lucky. And felt like an idiot. I have yet to learn the perfect balance of throttle and controlled skid.

lol I've kissed a few curbs driving in the snow last season, I'm sure the majority of us have done that as well.

The first winter season I got my car I was fooling around in a partking lot with patches of ice, and lost control and ended up hitting a car front plate to front plate. There was no damage but I definitely felt bad because I disrupted him and his girl and I couldn't see the girl if you know what I mean... :lol:

lol i've kissed a few curbs driving in the snow last season, i'm sure the majority of us have done that as well.

The first winter season i got my car i was fooling around in a partking lot with patches of ice, and lost control and ended up hitting a car front plate to front plate. There was no damage but i definitely felt bad because i disrupted him and his girl and i couldn't see the girl if you know what i mean... :lol:

lmao.

The streets are covered with snow right now and I can't seem to make it around a corner without a 4 wheel drift....I have no self control. I am not one to put anyone else in jeopardy but if the roads are clear of traffic, the car is sideways. Subi's rule!

definitely been testing the limits of the RE92s this weekend. took 5hrs driving from worcester, ma to conway nh friday afternoon/night during the storm. car handled like a dream on the highways which were barely plowed.

still trying to get a feel for the car in the snow, though. yesterday driving to sunday river i had to take a fairly windy road from where i was staying to the mountain and it had a decent snow cover on it. coming around a pretty sharp left hand curve the car started to plow foward and straight at a snowbank. luckily the bank was still just powder from the storm before, but it was higher than the hood of my car. i exploded through the snowbank snow flying all over the car and still heading into the woods. i floored it and cranked the wheel toward the road and the car caught and jumped right out of the window deep snow and back into the lane i was on and i was going straight again. would have looked like a subaru commercial minus the slide in the beginning :lol:

i feel like with a nice set of snow tires it would be even more fun to drive...

^^ I do the same thing and justify in under "it is safer to be in a controlled slide than an uncontrolled one" :cool:

the more you practice, the less likely you are to panic if it ever gets ugly...that's my story and I am stickin to it.

Learning to steer with the rear wheels is a good thing IMO.

definitely been testing the limits of the RE92s this weekend. took 5hrs driving from worcester, ma to conway nh friday afternoon/night during the storm. car handled like a dream on the highways which were barely plowed.

still trying to get a feel for the car in the snow, though. yesterday driving to sunday river i had to take a fairly windy road from where i was staying to the mountain and it had a decent snow cover on it. coming around a pretty sharp left hand curve the car started to plow foward and straight at a snowbank. luckily the bank was still just powder from the storm before, but it was higher than the hood of my car. i exploded through the snowbank snow flying all over the car and still heading into the woods. i floored it and cranked the wheel toward the road and the car caught and jumped right out of the window deep snow and back into the lane i was on and i was going straight again. would have looked like a subaru commercial minus the slide in the beginning :lol:

i feel like with a nice set of snow tires it would be even more fun to drive...

Haha. Next time keep the speed lower and don't get overconfident even if you have winter tires.

With that said, I would try "launching" (by just hammering the throttle in I mode) when lined up at the traffic light up to 30mph and the amount of traction you get relative to most other cars is phenomenal. They just can't keep up in any way, shape, or form in the snow.

Disclaimer: AWD doesn't help lateral traction and it doesn't help you stop any better.

With that said, I would try "launching" (by just hammering the throttle in I mode) when lined up at the traffic light up to 30mph and the amount of traction you get relative to most other cars is phenomenal. They just can't keep up in any way, shape, or form in the snow.

Quoted for truth. I leave stoplights at the safe limit and it looks like I'm racing everyone, I am usually ahead by several cars. That is, if the tail doesn't get happy, in which case I have to let off and I get "smoked" by pedestrians y0 :spin:

Archived