LegacyGT.com

Snows, AWD and my right foot

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My old man used to be into rally back in the day for quite a while. Both driver and copilot/navigator. He once took the LGT on a very spirited drive on gravel roads up where he lives, sideways in turns etc. He was quiet for the whole few minutes of the ride, when we got back he only said "shit son, got a winner on your hands" and stepped out :D Reminded him of the good old days in a Lancia. He didn't mind the 5EAT, only that it didn't shift quick enough for him.

I swear a couple of turns if there was someone outside the first thing they'd have seen was the rear license plate, lulz.

^somewhere ive read that viscous LSDs are only 1 way? i dont believe that, however. simple viscious coupling shouldnt care which way the power is going.

oh, and engine braking definitely locks up the wheels.. just all four at the same time and no abs pulsing haha, and you have to try really hard. thats what i get for blotching the 3>2 downshift on a downhill onramp with lots of ice. it should be noted that it was a VERY stable lockup and the car recovered QUICKLY after the rpms matched. it was just a quick slide that i think only i felt. again, back and front right slid, causing momentary, barely perceptable yaw to the right. might've also been due to crown in the road.

...it would be nice if it was always in torque-lock, so when you take the foot off the gas it holds the car back, not just drop the revs freely.

This... though in my experience it depends on the gear you're in. First gear seems to drop out of lock at like 700 rpm, 2nd is around 1100, 3rd is around 1100 as well 4th and 5th... I dunno, 2000? Haven't paid attention to those since I'm usually not trying to decelerate in 4th or 5th gear.

I'll pay more attention to it tonight. The 5EAT is a lot of fun in the snow, though.

^^ Yeah, that's annoying, but I'm pretty gentle with my throttle application, especially with the weather up here. The other day I went fully sideways through a turn because I was a little more aggressive with throttle application than I should have been. Easily controlled and recovered, but I'm really glad there was no other traffic. Three inches of packed snow, slush, and ice is a difficult beast to predict.

I like find to unplowed places and get as sideways as possible without loosing control, but when you do that there is gonna be a couple times where you do loose control and gently slide into a snow bank :lol: Hasnt happened yet this year, but it did happen a couple last year.

I am not use to an AWD snow drift. I am great with rwd and i love it. im also very good with fwd and its ok. i have done a awd drift in rain and almost crashed.

i was taking a turn and i just came from rwd and im use to cutting the wheel hard and kick out the back end. that happened and i forgot the front gripps. so my car kept turning instead of going sideways. plus im better with an awd dry drift, but im not at it. This is going to be an interesting winter.

EXACTLY...!!! and with my rwd i had a truck and would never use the 4x4 unless i was stuck or didnt wanna burn out at a stop(dry/wet). but i would use purposely slide the car so i could control the slide. i would freak out most of my passengers. and only a few of them realized i used the slide to my advantage so i wouldnt have to slow down as much to take the turn.

If your car continued to turn it means you kicked the rear-end too hard. I never actually managed to do that because the front will keep pulling the car and eventually it will straighten itself. It's a matter of finding the right amount of power to apply via the pedal.

I guess... If all you care about is going in a straight line. :rolleyes:

Lol, i have had live axle cars that would out handle a spec b, but your right i havent ever heard of any good handleing american cars, i never heard of the ford GT, Corvette, viper, 03/04 cobra. Hell even the new cobalt can keep up with the STI and Evo even though its FWD. But lets just all be sterotyping D-bags and agree that no american cars have ever been able to handle well.

Lol, i have had live axle cars that would out handle a spec b, but your right i havent ever heard of any good handleing american cars, i never heard of the ford GT, Corvette,Viper, 03/04 cobra. Hell even the new cobalt can keep up with the STI and Evo even though its FWD. But lets just all be sterotyping D-bags and agree that no american cars have ever been able to handle well.

I included that

Archived