LegacyGT.com

I think I may have bumped my head....

I went to the 2009 Tampa New Car Show this weekend not really shopping but just to see what was available from the manufacturers. There were quite a few cars I really liked that were out of my price range, the Lexus IS-F being my favorite followed by the Mercedes Benz AMG63 and the new ZR1. But what really caught my eye and peaked my interest has really left me confused.

260HP, 2.0l Turbocharged Sedan

Brembo Brakes

18" Wheels

Performance Suspension

100k warranty

sticker price just over 25k, local dealer price 21k

I liked the price, the look, the options, the warranty and the feel. The performance on paper looked great and now I think I'm gonna go drive one....

How ******* crazy is this....

http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-news/chevy-drops-photo-of-2009-chevrolet-cobalt-ss-sedan/9626680+cr1+re0+ar1/2009-chevrolet-cobalt-ss-sedan.jpg

Plus it might be a classic if GM folds!

Strange, but I really like it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uhhh.... wow. They look good on paper, but at the end of the day it still looks like a Chevy Cobalt (fugly), is FWD, the interiors look like crap and your saying "Brembo brakes" is very misleading. They are only Brembo up front. Sorry, I like to nitpick, and having owned one of the Cobalt SS' competitors, I like to do so even more.

Uhhh.... wow. They look good on paper, but at the end of the day it still looks like a Chevy Cobalt (fugly), is FWD, the interiors look like crap and your saying "Brembo brakes" is very misleading. They are only Brembo up front. Sorry, I like to nitpick, and having owned one of the Cobalt SS' biggest competitors, I like to do so even more.

Looks good to me, which is all that counts when I'm the one buying.

Interior? Have you sat in one lately...have you sat in your Legacy lately? :lol:

FWD - I live in Florida...AWD isn't anything special it just adds cost.

No Legacy comes with Brembo brakes

Bluetooth standard, XM Radio standard

Better performance than any Legacy stock for stock.

30mpg

P.S. The huge front mount intercooler is also Standard!

Fair enough, everyone has their own tastes.

Interior? Have you sat in one lately...have you sat in your Legacy lately? :lol:

Yes and yes... I still prefer the Legacy interior.

Again, everyone can have their own opinions. If I weren't buying AWD id buy RWD.

Correct, in fact they come with brakes that leave me VERY far from impressed.

Bliuetooth, whatever, I rarely talk when I drive and when I'm in maine it's still legal for me to talk and drive anyways. Althought at the Legacy's price I would expect it on there. XM is dumb in my opinion. I have Pandora on my iPhone and just commect that through my AUX input. Better yet, it has no monthly fee!

Eh, it's possible. Not from the numbers I have seen posted though. They look prety close to me.

30mpg

Yep, 2WD four banger turbos are good for that on the highway. I used to see about 33 in my old turbo 4 banger.

:) Yep, looks good.

Not trying to bash the car. Everyone just have different tastes. It's true you can't deny the performance for the price. I just wish it was presented in a better package.

that thing supposedly beat the sti around the track. but then this was car and driver, the same mag that put the m3 over the GTR.

it seems to be good on paper AND fast on the track, however i cant bring myself to drive a cobalt after having been in a semi luxury car. the shock would be too much. at that point i'd give up speed for having a car im not afraid to be seen in.

my miata is beat as hell and its purple of all colors. but i would not be caught dead in the cobalt. its a sleeper for sure though and is going to catch a lot of people by surprise.

car for sale. PM me!

not only did Car and Driver put it FASTER on the track than the STI... among others.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/the_lightning_lap_2008_feature

but, it set a new FWD world record on Nurburgring.

I can't find the exact link for the record, Search for the Cobalt and see what it beats on the ring, official times listed here.

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073

IMO, it's fast but i'd never own one.

YMMV. car and driver has been known to contain massive amounts of excrement.

odd that C&D results... are the same as others. Cobalt is fast.

C&D did not set the record on the ring, yet the cobalt has it.

now if C&D had the STI 30 seconds faster than the GT-R... nobody would complain. :lol:

I know the cobalt is fast.

But faster than the sti?

The sti they had was slow as balls. In almost every comparo the sti is faster around the track than the evo10. But in c and d it was slower.

Something is suspect.

And I am no fanboy. I'd cry foul if the sti lapped faster than the gtr.

car for sale. PM me!

I know the cobalt is fast.

But faster than the sti?

The sti they had was slow as balls. In almost every comparo the sti is faster around the track than the evo10. But in c and d it was slower.

Something is suspect.

And I am no fanboy. I'd cry foul if the sti lapped faster than the gtr.

well if you look at the times on the track, regardless of where the STI placed... the Cobalt beat the Evo also. and a ton of others cars that make you look twice...

again i'm not a Cobalt fan, but can't deny it's fast. i think the new Turbo Cobalt will upset some people thinking they are about to face the old supercharged cobalt...

i'll admit, when i saw the STI down that far... i thought the same thing. somethings wrong. i'd expect the STI to be right at the Evo time, above or below.

30mpg

I would say that AWD actually does improve handling even on normal surfaces.

As for Brembo brakes on Legacy - S402 and the Liberty GT tuned by STi have them.

453747.png

Uhhh.... wow. They look good on paper, but at the end of the day it still looks like a Chevy Cobalt (fugly), is FWD, the interiors look like crap and your saying "Brembo brakes" is very misleading. They are only Brembo up front. Sorry, I like to nitpick, and having owned one of the Cobalt SS' competitors, I like to do so even more.

Yes exactly. The interiors for Chevy are just hideous. I actually have an Impala right now for a rental car. The acceleration response terrible as is the handling.

Though GM isn't ALL bad. In comparison to stock Subaru's I really was impressed with the powerful braking system. I mean the brakes are superb and can stop on a dime...smoothly at that.

Another thing I was impressed with is the suspension. GM seems to have much stronger suspension and can go over speed bumps like nothing.

FWD is not only bad for handling but have you ever tried to launch a FWD car. I don't care if you live in florida there are more benefits then bad weather driving.

I used to own a Supercharged GM car in a GTP that I modded heavily. So I know those cars well. I had a cobalt SS test me from a roll and from what I know of the cars it was not stock and stage 2 made it look slow. And from a roll it should be the cobalts best point. I think there is more hype then you think.

As for Brembo brakes on Legacy - S402 and the Liberty GT tuned by STi have them.

None of which Subaru sells here....

FWD is not only bad for handling but have you ever tried to launch a FWD car. I don't care if you live in florida there are more benefits then bad weather driving.

AWD does not improve handling...and launch? It's a car not a space shuttle. I lived without AWD in every car I owned other than Subaru (wait....even my first Subaru was FWD) so the AWD vs 2WD is not really relevant.

It's the new gen SRT4, and yes, they are an econo-box champ, with tons of power, but they still are econo-boxes.

We drive Legacys because we don't want to drive hotted up Imprezas.

(I shouldn't talk though... I was giving the new Fit a serious once over last week).:redface:

Edit- it is a sweet sleeper though... and like all great sleepers, they are fast cars shrouded in basic / frumpy clothes.

Archived