LegacyGT.com

I think I may have bumped my head....

Fugly! I don't care if it outruns a vette, it's still ugly and I wouldn't be caught dead driving it.

ha ha ha...true

that and most F.O.R.D.'s, Honda's, and Plymouths are just hideous, give me a gag reflex if I had to drive them

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

keep in mind, the second you drive Cobalt out of dealership, its worth is cut in half. Cobalts depreciation rate is among highest for all cars in North American market. I don't know about States, but in Canada, Cobalt (even SS) is synonymous with Kia and Deawoo, and the consumer niche for them are kids who totaled their civics and want to try something different.

Also, it might be just a rumor, but something tells me that whoever designed looks of Cobalt, was the same guy who designed Pontiac Aztec )))

my last autox there was a cobalt ss there. fast car. looked like the handling was pretty good too. the car was not stock, but it put down really nice times.

edit:p.s. they dont look too bad in black.

p.s.s. i also had a head bump the other day. was bored and in the neighborhood of a mitsu dealership. stopped in and testdrove the new evo. have to tell you that my car "felt" faster. its stg 2, and a pretty strong stg 2, so that might have something to do with it. but, it also might be that the twin scroll in the evo just felt a lot more linear. my car hits hard when i get boost. one thing i can say is that if my leggy handled nearly as well as that evo did, i would be soo happy. it handled perfectly.

Sad how the American automakers are coming apart at the seams right now and resort to generic copy-cats of successful Japan/German cars.

All of them are near bankrupt and stock values are next to nothing. Ford is like a buck and GM they say will go to zero soon they are losing money like crazy.

Sad how the American automakers are coming apart at the seams right now and resort to generic copy-cats of successful Japan/German cars.

All of them are near bankrupt and stock values are next to nothing. Ford is like a buck and GM they say will go to zero soon they are losing money like crazy.

thats too bad because i love me a new duramax. they put down some sexy numbers.

i wouldn't put myself in that category...

i like a lot of the GM cars, looks wise and performance. CTS-V, the car i'd love to have...

but 90%+ of american cars are FWD anymore. i HATE FWD... with a passion. IMO if the Front wheels have power... the rears better have also. meaning AWD.

I have a Sunfire GT, which is a Cobalt with less power. Cobalt is a tad bigger i think.

main reason i went with Subaru... I wanted AWD/RWD only in my new car, and 4 door. in my price range i was looking at, under 35k, the Subaru kept coming up at the top of the list. most of the "AWD" cars out there... are not real AWD. I also wanted leather interior with heated seats, both my parents vehicles have it... and i love the feature.

in the end, the Subaru was the only choice i kept coming back to look at.

I like the cobalt SS aswell, 260hp and the turbo is fully spooled by 2krpms. The reason i wouldnt own it is because it has that tin can feel. You close the door and it just sounds like a sentra/srt4/pre 08 focus/ anything light and cheap feeling. I cant stand cars that feel, just cheaply made. And im not some guy who says that about GM cars, as somw people on here know i have owned a couple GM sports cars.

I like the cobalt SS aswell, 260hp and the turbo is fully spooled by 2krpms. The reason i wouldnt own it is because it has that tin can feel. You close the door and it just sounds like a sentra/srt4/pre 08 focus/ anything light and cheap feeling. I cant stand cars that feel, just cheaply made. And im not some guy who says that about GM cars, as somw people on here know i have owned a couple GM sports cars.

pretty much my sentimen.

car for sale. PM me!

I see many of you, like most Americans are more concerned with "image" than cost, performance or even quality. My worth is not decided by the car I drive.

I would like to agree but like you say most ppl are concerned w/ "image." A lot of ppl make judgments about you based on the car you drive. I find I'm guilty of this myself when meeting someone for the first time, and you see their car, you automatically make some assumptions about them, as bad as that sounds.

anyhoo... here's a vid of the cobalt ss vs the speed 3

http://www.garage419.com/episode/419_20081016

Valid point.. fine, buy it. GM could really use a customer right now :lol:.

It's fair to say my lack of enthusiasm for GM cars is pretty personal. My family bought a house in a town that has high percent of population working for GM, so now that GM announced they are closing most of the plant down, property worth went down.

May be if they'll sell all the cobalts, they'll have to make more and won't close the plant down :icon_bigg

the problem with the Cobalt, is that it's basically the entry level car. souped up.

you take any base model car, and add a ton of power to it what do you have?

a base model cheaply built car, oh with lots of power. with exception of the Aveo line, the Cobalt is pretty much the base model car in the GM lineup.

side note, if the Turbo is fully spooled by 2k rpm... i bet thats what makes it so fast on a track, it's like almost always on. Bog down a bit coming into a corner? no problem, full power all ready for you.

i'd hate to see the MPG on the freeway... :lol:

I would like to agree but like you say most ppl are concerned w/ "image." A lot of ppl make judgments about you based on the car you drive. I find I'm guilty of this myself when meeting someone for the first time, and you see their car, you automatically make some assumptions about them, as bad as that sounds.

I found that is very much a California thing.

It exists all around the country but not nearly as bad as over there.

I bought my Ford from a person in San Jose who was basically forced to upgrade to maintain image with his clients.

Used cars (the ones I've seen) are wicked cheap in California too.

The Cobalt SS is a very nice vehicle at very nice cost, but I still can't get over the exterior aesthetics. It looks like something straight out of 1993. Even the '95-02 Cavalier looks much better. I personally don't buy a car based on how it makes me look (wouldn't be driving a Subaru :lol: ), but it definitely needs to make me not gag as I'm walking toward the vehicle.

I personally don't buy a car based on how it makes me look (wouldn't be driving a Subaru :lol: ), but it definitely needs to make me not gag as I'm walking toward the vehicle.

Example.

http://blog.leasetrader.com/images/blog_leasetrader_com/WindowsLiveWriter/ToyotasPriusisLessEfficientandEnvironmen_EA2B/2006.toyota.prius-thumb.jpg

Example.

http://blog.leasetrader.com/images/blog_leasetrader_com/WindowsLiveWriter/ToyotasPriusisLessEfficientandEnvironmen_EA2B/2006.toyota.prius-thumb.jpg

apparently that car gets the ladies.

but what do i know.

car for sale. PM me!

i would trade my LGT for that in a second.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

another plus for going "green" :lol:

you should tell them "if you like green you should look in my pants"

and then chase them in ur prius as they run away. only they wouldnt know you're chasing them because the prius is silent at low speeds.

car for sale. PM me!

Ok, I'll admit it... I used to own a Focus... It, and the cobalt are just too blah... everyone and their grandma literally drives one. Probably be a good car though.. the last ones seem to hold together pretty well vs old cavilers.

Also as far as C&D goes, GM always wins, always. They did an old cobalt vs the old STi and the cobalt beat it. But then you look at their points break down compared to specs... in the braking area, the mazda in the test stopped in a shorter distance then the cobalt, yet the cobalt got the most points for braking... What?

C&D does not always put GM on top... I remember the last camaro getting beat by the Mustang by a long shot in their tests. as did every other car mag.

even that article said the turbo SS was a HUGE improvement over the SLOW supercharged version, 7 seconds faster...

and i hate to burst your reality bubble.... but i have too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/the_quickest_cars_of_2007_20_000_to_25_000_feature

ahem. the ONLY COBALT SUPERCHARGED "COMPARISON TEST" ON CAR AND DRIVER with the Subaru WRX....... not the STI. the STI is not even the same class, the turbo SS maybe same class.. the supercharged, not even.

oh gee, look who placed 8th out of 10. Cobalt!!!!!!!!

who won?..... SUBARU WRX

so a STI is slower than a basic WRX?

according to your memory, you state

They did an old cobalt vs the old STi and the cobalt beat it.
yet they show the Subaru WRX... beating EVERY GM CAR IN THE LIST...

but wait...

Also as far as C&D goes, GM always wins, always.
wait, INVERSE results wins!!!!!1! i forgot the rules. :lol:

out of the 10, 4 are GM cars... only one in top 5.

but wait... wait, INVERSE results wins!!!!!1! i forgot the rules. :lol:

out of the 10, 4 are GM cars... only one in top 5.

It only takes 1 car to win, so the last point is kind of moot... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I found this today (not searching for this car, it just happened to contain keywords I was searching for...)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/917747599.html

I thought it was a bit humorous how this "GM wonder", brand spanking new, is being offered at what seems like "2008 leftover" discounts.

In the world of performance vehicles there are 2 things that matter to most...

1) Speed (of course)

2) Styling

I'll take an order of both...to go, please. :p

Sorry but this car just fails horrible at the 2nd. The 2 door coupe isn't as hedious (sp?), but the 4 door could've used a makeover prior to making it into production.

Archived