LegacyGT.com

I think I may have bumped my head....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the world of performance vehicles there are 2 things that matter to most...

1) Speed (of course)

2) Styling

I'll take an order of both...to go, please. :p

Sorry but this car just fails horrible at the 2nd. The 2 door coupe isn't as hedious (sp?), but the 4 door could've used a makeover prior to making it into production.

The word "sleeper" comes to mind...putting a performance powertrain and suspension in an otherwise un-assuming body. Just what I like in a car...and a "makeover" to make it look "sportier" would have killed the appeal.

I like the new SS's as well. Every review I've seen on the raves about them, other than the interiors. I'm not one make a huge fuss out of interiors anyways, so that's no big deal to me.

I like the fact that they're plain. I'm 37 years old and don't have much attention whore in me anyways.

This new cobalt is a great sleeper, GM is starting to like turbos/forced induction as i have even heard a rumor of a LST, a v8 turbo. Cant wait to see what that will do

agreed.

Cobalt SS=Sleeper.

any visual differences from the old supercharged SS vs the Turbo charged SS?

i just know that unsuspecting street racer idiot will pull up to a Cobalt SS and think "it's the slow supercharged version" yet it's the Turbo... and they get their ass handed to them.

Every time i see a Cobalt SS now... i keep trying to figure out, is it the Turbo.. or the supercharged... I don't street race, so not going to find out that way.

as for a turbo V8. you know out of the box GM will put it on a mild HP motor to start... like say a car has a base HP of 300. they make a V8 turbo option with 300-325hp.... yet they could just as well drop in a 550hp+ LS1/2 from a vette or CTS-V instead.

look what they did with the SSR. neat looking truck, weak motor. took them a few years to give it more power, and it could use more tbh. (not to mention a price cut... way overpriced)

Example.

http://blog.leasetrader.com/images/blog_leasetrader_com/WindowsLiveWriter/ToyotasPriusisLessEfficientandEnvironmen_EA2B/2006.toyota.prius-thumb.jpg

If I wanted to drive an appliance I'd put wheels on my refrigerator :p

agreed.

Cobalt SS=Sleeper.

any visual differences from the old supercharged SS vs the Turbo charged SS?

The older ones had the "chunkier" looking wheels on them and I think they toned the wing down on the newer ones. That's all I know....

Well the wing is an option now. When they first came out all the supercharged SS had the big wings. They do sell a non-FI Cobalt SS. Its just a premium wheels/seats/brakes and ground effects and it was auto, they might make it stick but i have never seen it.

As for GM putting a turbo on a mild manner v8 engine, the havent had a mild manner v8-FI yet, the ones they do have make 460hp-638hp. They wouldnt make a 350hp turbo v8 when they have several non FI-V8s that make that much or more.

Well the wing is an option now. When they first came out all the supercharged SS had the big wings. They do sell a non-FI Cobalt SS. Its just a premium wheels/seats/brakes and ground effects and it was auto, they might make it stick but i have never seen it.

As for GM putting a turbo on a mild manner v8 engine, the havent had a mild manner v8-FI yet, the ones they do have make 460hp-638hp. They wouldnt make a 350hp turbo v8 when they have several non FI-V8s that make that much or more.

in a performance car maybe...

5300 (325ci) has 295-320hp stock. only the Camaro/firebird and corvette V8's have not been mild. the majority of the V8's GM sells... are NOT in any performance application.

my point was that with GM's logic to "performance" in a new vehicle/direction (like the SSR for example) is to put a way underpowered engine in and hype the hell out of it. 300hp with VERY weak performance numbers. now it has 395hp.

What i'd expect GM to do, is grab the 5.3l and turbo it... detune the crap out of it so it makes like 325ish hp. then after 1-2 model years, a big HP version, or a steady increase in HP. look how long it took GM to build a high HP supercharged v8... like the new ZR1 and CTS-V.

IMO i wouldn't put it past GM to make a "small" HP turbo V8. not saying they can't.... just that it would NOT surprise me at all if they did make some puny HP turbo V8. oh yeah, with the Cyl-cutoff BS also.

with the exceptions of a few models, GM seems to not want to be in a performance mode anymore. Look at the Cobalt... how many years with the Supercharger before they changed to Turbo and upped the power? GM has been playing with Superchargers and Turbo's for years... Buick GN, GMC Cyclone/Typhoon, the Various Pontiac Supercharged cars, Buick Riviera ETC. Jon Moss has made Turbo'd Sunfire/cavaliers before, none got the green light. (Jon Moss was the GM toybox guy, look him up he's made some sweet ass cars using 100% GM parts anyone can order) It just takes GM exec's years to come to the table with more power. the new ZR1 took a lot of arm twisting...

How about another thread, should the US bail out any or all of the big three?

start it in this forum.

if you want to join the Political Forum go into your User CP, then click on Group Memberships, and click on join Political forum. just to let you know the PA is a little more wide open than the general forums but the rules regarding threats, racism, swearing still stand. hope to see you there. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

start it in this forum.

if you want to join the Political Forum go into your User CP, then click on Group Memberships, and click on join Political forum. just to let you know the PA is a little more wide open than the general forums but the rules regarding threats, racism, swearing still stand. hope to see you there. bosco

I swear I won't flame anybody. No way to bring racism in and be clever.

Meant to compliment you on the market prediction (a few threads ago), it's getting to be more true than not...

in a performance car maybe...

5300 (325ci) has 295-320hp stock. only the Camaro/firebird and corvette V8's have not been mild. the majority of the V8's GM sells... are NOT in any performance application.

my point was that with GM's logic to "performance" in a new vehicle/direction (like the SSR for example) is to put a way underpowered engine in and hype the hell out of it. 300hp with VERY weak performance numbers. now it has 395hp.

What i'd expect GM to do, is grab the 5.3l and turbo it... detune the crap out of it so it makes like 325ish hp. then after 1-2 model years, a big HP version, or a steady increase in HP. look how long it took GM to build a high HP supercharged v8... like the new ZR1 and CTS-V.

IMO i wouldn't put it past GM to make a "small" HP turbo V8. not saying they can't.... just that it would NOT surprise me at all if they did make some puny HP turbo V8. oh yeah, with the Cyl-cutoff BS also.

with the exceptions of a few models, GM seems to not want to be in a performance mode anymore. Look at the Cobalt... how many years with the Supercharger before they changed to Turbo and upped the power? GM has been playing with Superchargers and Turbo's for years... Buick GN, GMC Cyclone/Typhoon, the Various Pontiac Supercharged cars, Buick Riviera ETC. Jon Moss has made Turbo'd Sunfire/cavaliers before, none got the green light. (Jon Moss was the GM toybox guy, look him up he's made some sweet ass cars using 100% GM parts anyone can order) It just takes GM exec's years to come to the table with more power. the new ZR1 took a lot of arm twisting...

Yes but it is called the LST, and the whole ls line of engines is GMs performance line. So i would expect the LST to be put in some performance or rare version fo one of there vehicles. It makes no sense to make a 5.3liter turbo v8 that makes 350hp when the smallest ls v8 is now the ls2 with 400hp. The 5.3liter turbo woudl likely get the same or even worse mpg than the ls2 and make 50 less hp. Makes no sense

Yes but it is called the LST, and the whole ls line of engines is GMs performance line. So i would expect the LST to be put in some performance or rare version fo one of there vehicles. It makes no sense to make a 5.3liter turbo v8 that makes 350hp when the smallest ls v8 is now the ls2 with 400hp. The 5.3liter turbo woudl likely get the same or even worse mpg than the ls2 and make 50 less hp. Makes no sense

Which following GM's thinking in the past 10 years or so... would be about right.

Like i said, I KNOW that GM *can* make the big power, but i wouldn't be surprised if they did some stupid thing like a low power turbo v8.

None of which Subaru sells here....

AWD does not improve handling...and launch? It's a car not a space shuttle. I lived without AWD in every car I owned other than Subaru (wait....even my first Subaru was FWD) so the AWD vs 2WD is not really

relevant.

The Colbalt has Launch Control too. ;)

So I drove a '09 Cobalt SS Sedan and a '09 Pontiac G8 this past weekend...

I'd compare the Cobalt SS more to the WRX than the Legacy. Great power, smooth engine and it felt well put together. Solid closing doors. Awesome braking, great suspension with good ergonomics and comfortably, yet supportive seats. Admittedly the Chevy has more interior plastic that the WRX the interior plastics have the same feel, tecture and appearance as the new Impreza's and Forester's...the car was decently optioned and priced right. The dealer was offering it for $21k, $3500 under MSRP.

All things considered, it's a better deal than the '08 WRX and just ever-so-slightly better than the '09 WRX.

Now the G8 compares closer to the Legacy. This car is nice...much better power delivery and feel of raw power than the Legacy, awesome suspension adequate brakes, similar interior texture and feel to the Legacy and feels very, very well put together. Awesome, awesome stereo, legroom and trunk space. I think the G8 GXP would be the icing on the cake but the dealer did not have one in stock yet to compare. I really, reallly liked the G8...once the GXP comes in I will be going back...

Archived