LegacyGT.com

The GT-R is super fast, for a while

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GTR is irrelevant until they put 6-spd manual in it, not some gizmo glass autobox.

Like i said a couple posts back, the nissan manual trannys are weak aswell. Besides if you are wanting a reliable tranny a correctly built auto is far more reliable than stick, not as fun IMO but def more reliable. Nissan cant seem to make them right, they said to replace a GTR tranny would cost 20k. Its funny that you can get built auto transmissions rated at 1000trq for 2k but nissan cant make one that can handle 500trq for under 15k.

Like i said a couple posts back, the nissan manual trannys are weak aswell. Besides if you are wanting a reliable tranny a correctly built auto is far more reliable than stick, not as fun IMO but def more reliable. Nissan cant seem to make them right, they said to replace a GTR tranny would cost 20k. Its funny that you can get built auto transmissions rated at 900trq for 2k but nissan cant make one that can handle 500trq for under 15k.

Yeah just thought of that building a 5eat thru IPT is less money than a brand new GTR tranny.:lol: I gotto go put together a nissan auto tranny fail poster, BRB!

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

Like i said a couple posts back, the nissan manual trannys are weak aswell. Besides if you are wanting a reliable tranny a correctly built auto is far more reliable than stick, not as fun IMO but def more reliable. Nissan cant seem to make them right, they said to replace a GTR tranny would cost 20k. Its funny that you can get built auto transmissions rated at 1000trq for 2k but nissan cant make one that can handle 500trq for under 15k.

I think you're talking about built slushboxes. I don't know if they can be stronger, maybe they can (don't care, frankly). But then internal construction wise the GTR autobox is more like manual transmission.

^ What I'm getting at is more in relation to how the shifting is done. On an engine with that kind of torque/power, it's better to take it out of the driver's hands. As bad a comparison as it is, looking at things like Ferrari transmissions, etc. It's too difficult to expect drivers to shift them properly and avoid breaking it. The manumatics will reign supreme because it saves the manufacturer a lot of money in transmissions.

No im just talking built auto trannys, like a good ole turbo 400, you can find those all day long for 1900bucks built to handle 900trq. The 5EAt isnt really worth using if you make more than 400wtrq even if you build it.

Is that a drag tranny? How good would that thing be in a DD application?

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

It depends how you set it up. If you have a 5,000rpms stall it will suck for DD, a nice 3k-3500 wouldnt be bad. Its a GM tranny made for RWD cars, its cheap, reliable, easy to fix and it can take alot alot of power, most 4 speed classic GM cars have it for street and track use. The turbo 350 is the 3 speed and can also be built to handle alot of power.

Why are all autos called slushboxes, in the world of racing autos can be built faster, more reliable, in turbo cars autos loose way less boost in between shifts, the can also build mad boost off the line with a stall unlike stick trannys. This is the only forum i have been on where autos are called slushboxs yet auto trannys can be made faster in everyway. And an auto with a stall and trans brake is pretty much unstoppable

It depends how you set it up. If you have a 5,000rpms stall it will suck for DD, a nice 3k-3500 wouldnt be bad. Its a GM tranny made for RWD cars, its cheap, reliable, easy to fix and it can take alot alot of power, most 4 speed classic GM cars have it for street and track use. The turbo 350 is the 3 speed and can also be built to handle alot of power.

Why are all autos called slushboxes, in the world of racing autos can be built faster, more reliable, in turbo cars autos loose way less boost in between shifts, the can also build mad boost off the line with a stall unlike stick trannys. This is the only forum i have been on where autos are called slushboxs yet auto trannys can be made faster in everyway. And an auto with a stall and trans brake is pretty much unstoppable

Hmm interesting, i doubt i'll ever make enough power to warrant that kinda tranny tho.

Like i said before autos are far more reliable. I have seen manual trannys rated at 600trq break from a car not even making 400trq, if you launch at 5krpms with slicks and slam gears as hard as you can to get that best time, the tranny can and will break.

Slushbox is simply reference to the hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic automatic transmission, that simple.

The NV5600 would shift better :lol:

Auto transmissions are not necessarily more reliable. Comparing built autos to stock manuals doesn't prove anything.

One thing autos definitely are is less fun.

Im not bring on a built manual tranny vs a completely build auto. There are auto tranny rated up to 2500hp, i have never seen even a built manual rated above 1000.

Ic, slushbox still makes em sound gay though:rolleyes:

Only if you have issues with your manhood being hurt because of what others think or say about your ride. :rolleyes: Are you being driven by a slushbox, by the way? :lol:

Im not bring on a built manual tranny vs a completely build auto. There are auto tranny rated up to 2500hp, i have never seen even a built manual rated above 1000.

Maybe not for a car. I'm not talking about a T56 here. I was suggesting a manual tranny that goes behind a medium duty diesel. Trust me, it'll handle any amount of torque a GT-R can make. Unfortunately the thing weighs almost 500lbs and has a gear shift lever on it that is so tall it would be in the headliner liner in a GT-R.:lol:

Yes it made more sense for me aswell since i had 2 stick cars and was planning on keeping 1 i was hopeing to keep both. But it turned out i got rid of both of them since getting rid of them was the best move for me. Now im setting myself up to get another 6 speed Trans Am

Yeah driving an auto has gotten me some sh1t, and i also make fun of the thing myself from time to time. All i know is that the automagic vs manual discussion is preferential. The auto just made more sense for me.

Well that's only because you don't know HOW to drive a MT. :eek::hide::spin:

:lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived