LegacyGT.com

Subaru cruise control sucks

I've long suspected this, but I've been on the road a lot this week with my CarPC going, so I've had time to test some theories and watch SSM parameters... Specifically I've been watching the 'memorized cruise speed' SSM parameter. Plenty of times now I have hit the 'Accel' lever, and when I released the lever the memorized speed was lower than before. WTF?

Other times, pressing Accel causes the car to accelerate reasonably well, even to the point of building boost.

With my last car (91 325iX) if you just tapped Accel, it would bump the cruise speed by 1 km/h. Two bumps = ~1mph, and so on. The Subaru CC seems to just use whatever speed the car is going when you release Accel. That probably wouldn't be so bad except that half the time I press Accel, the car just slows down.

It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru?

Not to be a total ass but come on man, just set it a little higher then. I see so many people on these boards just whine and whine about their cars and I wonder why they even bought them. no car is perfect and if you're complaining about cruise control that is a very minor part of the car. I must be a simpleton though cause as long as my legacy goes when I want and stops when I want I'm happy.

I find the cruise to be a bit touchy too. I never use the accel function - I just speed up with my foot and reset it.

That being said - I've driven a $16K Pontiac Grand Am with smoother cruise control. I think it's the fact of spending ~$30K on a car and getting this type of crap that NSFW mentioned. It's not just the cruise either...

I too had a BMW prior to the LGT...the Beemer CC didn't work at all...it kept shorting the fuses and finally had to be replaced altogether. The Subaru CC is the best one I have ever used and I use it all the time. Could this be a "User problem" that you are experiencing???????? :(:(

I use my cruise most of the time I'm in the car. Yes - even in town. I've not noticed what you refer to, but I don't really pay attention to it either. Turn it on, set it, cruise. It seems to gain 1 mph per upward tap on the stalk, and lose 1 mph per downward tap.

Ours is essentially broken as of this past weekend. A CEL last week that disappeared a day latter and then cruise control will hold for only 2 secs to about 15mins.

I will wait till my 60k service to get it sorted out as I think they check the codes anyway and hopefully the charge will be less to address at the dealer.

I use my cruise everyday other then the washer thickness problem causing it to drop out. it works perfect, in fact in all 3 of my GT's it works great, I love it. OP I would have your's checked out.

One bump up is 1 mph faster, two bumps down is 2 mph slower does the same thing everytime.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have the exact same problem with my cruise. It doesn't do what its supposed to. You have to fiddle with it.

In every other car ive had, u hit the cruise, it stays there. You tap it up or down, it goes up or down 1 km. Not this car. =(

Then again, i shouldn't be surprised, my car is already starting to fall apart. Now i have to take it in because the stereo is on the way out.

Ah well, at least its still fast...

Archived