LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can give us the specs, we might be able to tell you if it can run Windows XP. My guess is it can. I ran it on an old AMD K6-2 333MHz system with 384MB RAM as a server configuration and it ran fine. Record uptime was over 130-some days until I had to do a restart due to some critical updates.

If you can get a copy of Win2000, it's not much chunkier than NT and all the apps for tuning and logging will work on it. I've used an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 460, with 166MHz processor, 160MB RAM, one USB and one serial port and had no problems.

OK I'm no computor guy but here it goes.

Its a toshiba satellite 2060CDS. AMD K-6 3D Prossesor, 160.0 mb Ram. It does have one usb, and one serial port and an air card too. I may be able to get a hold of win 2000 or xp.

K62 366MHz, 4GB HDD. You are already at the max supported ram, not much to do there. Give W2K a shot, or XP in W2K GUI-mode (meaning the most dumbed down, no fancy effects graphical interface).

ROMRaider works on JAVA so I'm hoping your system specs meet the minimum requirements. Hey, it's free so there's nothing to lose.

Hit up eBay or Craigslist, there should be a ton of laptops to be had for under $100 which would be much faster than yours.

Edited by fishbone

K62 366MHz, 4GB HDD. You are already at the max supported ram, not much to do there. Give W2K a shot, or XP in W2K GUI-mode (meaning the most dumbed down, no fancy effects graphical interface).

ROMRaider works on JAVA so I'm hoping your system specs meet the minimum requirements. Hey, it's free so there's nothing to lose.

Hit up eBay or Craigslist, there should be a ton of laptops to be had for under $100 which would be much faster than yours.

ah Muck thanks, I was kinda leaning that way anyway. I don't want the POS to crash in the middle of a flash

If you are going to use it for flashing ... better get a good system. Even if said flash fails, just do NOT turn the ignition off and you will be able to restart the process. If you cut the ignition, you commit the changes, in this situation a bad flash and benched ECU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The one pictured in this post http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2757502&postcount=243 seems to work well for me. It should state it has 2 K-Lines & L-Line (KKL Interface). The cable should be made with an FTDI interface chip. The ELM interface chips do not work with ECUFlash, etc...

I've found it's best to load the drivers that come with ECUFlash http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash and not the ones from the cable's included disk.

These cables only work on pre-CAN bus cars, check post #1 http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2070645&postcount=1

Edited by dschultz

It would be best to start your own thread in the Tuning forum. List your car mods so people know how to interpret the log and a note about what the log is for, i.e.: driving log, WOT 3rd gear pull, etc.

The one pictured in this post http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2757502&postcount=243 seems to work well for me. It should state it has 2 K-Lines & L-Line (KKL Interface). The cable should be made with an FTDI interface chip. The ELM interface chips do not work with ECUFlash, etc...

I just bought what looks like the same cable from this seller. It just arrived today less than two weeks after payment. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will post my experience with it as soon as I can try it this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell why I get the error message "ECU Definitions Not Found" when I try to view my logs in RomRaider?

I've downloaded the currect ecu, and logger definitions. I have the ECU definitions in the file manager priority list.

I know I've logged, I can see them as csv file when I search for them, but I can't view them in RomRaider?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I guess I was wrong in the assumption that the open folder under "File" would allow me to view log files. Or in "file" -> open image. I see that I was wrong now.

This is all brand new to me. Sorry for my ignorance!

Thanks for the reply.

Nick