LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

Update: I have given up on VAG-COM and I just ordered a Taxtrix 2.0 from tunertools.com. Used the coupon code "Romraider" for 5% off, so it came to $160 and change shipped.

I tried my VAG-COM cable on an older XP machine and it still didn't work. I do not recommend this cable to anyone.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: I have given up on VAG-COM and I just ordered a Taxtrix 2.0 from tunertools.com. Used the coupon code "Romraider" for 5% off, so it came to $160 and change shipped.

I tried my VAG-COM cable on an older XP machine and it still didn't work. I do not recommend this cable to anyone.

I would lean toward user error...not to single you out...but several on here are using it successfully.

It took me about 5 minutes to install software, hook up cable and be in my car logging.

The cable works fine.

I would lean toward user error...not to single you out...but several on here are using it successfully.

It took me about 5 minutes to install software, hook up cable and be in my car logging.

The cable works fine.

Lucky you...unfortunately I have tried everything. I'm fairly computer savvy and I tried various combinations of drivers, versions of software, and USB ports. Did the same on an XP machine with the same result. I'm sure it's the cable.

^Did you buy the VAG-COM cable, or Autonostics one? The Autonostics doesn't seem to work. You also could have very well just had a shot VAG-COM cable. At around $12 with shipping, I would have tried another one before giving up. But with the Tactrix at least you know it'll work 100% of the time.

^Did you buy the VAG-COM cable, or Autonostics one? The Autonostics doesn't seem to work. You also could have very well just had a shot VAG-COM cable. At around $12 with shipping, I would have tried another one before giving up. But with the Tactrix at least you know it'll work 100% of the time.

It was labeled as VAG-COM and referenced the VAG-COM program in the listing...so i'm assuming that's what it is. It didn't mention Autonostics.

See and I thought about ordering another one, but my custom tune is ready and so I don't want to wait another week and a half to get another cable that could possibly work like crap as well. Plus a lot of users report intermittent issues with VAG-COM, even if they get it working. I'd rather not brick my ECU if I can help it.

Plus, if I no longer need the Tactrix 2.0 cable, I can always resell it for a decent amount.

Did you try any of the FTDI utilities to see if you could even communicate with the chip in the VAG-COM cable? http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

I read of one instance where the chip was not programmed properly and the data was inverted(?), therefore not communicating with the ECU correctly.

ftdi.thumb.png.7060ebab778f09cb80d44b94ab67bfac.png

Edited by dschultz

here is what will happen:

plug in Tactrix cable, plug into laptop: wah lah...everything works. Log away then drink a cold one! That's what happened to me. Mine was a VAG COM cable from Autonostics...Tactrix works like a champ.

Rehab is for quitters.

I bought a KKL VAG-COM cable from eBay seller szhid about a year ago, and was able to both log and pull my ECU image reliably from my 2005 LGT using it. I never tried to flash my ECU with it (the car had a professional tune already), but given that reading the image worked I suspect reflashing would have as well.

I always used the latest version of EcuFlash and the Tactrix-rebranded FTDI drivers it includes.

On the other hand I couldn't get it to pull the ECU image from a friend's 2002 WRX. Logging worked fine, but it wouldn't catch the bootloader. A Tactrix 2.0 cable worked fine the first time on that car.

Did you try any of the FTDI utilities to see if you could even communicate with the chip in the VAG-COM cable? http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

I read of one instance where the chip was not programmed properly and the data was inverted(?), therefore not communicating with the ECU correctly.

I downloaded the utility but it didn't look like there were many things I could change.

Yeah i'm hoping that my OP2.0 cable works like a champ. Actually, tunertools.com has a 5% discount code...just enter Romraider. They shipped it out less than an hour after I placed the order, via USPS Priority mail (free shipping). I highly recommend them!

So it gave you a response? If that's the case and it still won't work with the car then maybe the problem is on the other side of the chip where the serial signal is converted to the ODB-II K-line signal. At least it was a "cheap" experiment ;-)

So it gave you a response? If that's the case and it still won't work with the car then maybe the problem is on the other side of the chip where the serial signal is converted to the ODB-II K-line signal. At least it was a "cheap" experiment ;-)

It (FT Prog) connects to the cable but doesnt have any important fields that I can change. No option to invert.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel I must post my good fortune with using the cheap vag-com cable. It was the best $13 I ever spent. I installed the drivers from the disc that came with the cable and was flashing and logging in minutes. I want other people to not be discouraged and try this route first if you have the appropriate year vehicle. Worst case scenario your out about $13, thats like 2 cups of coffee at starbucks and you only rent that. lol :lol:. Besides if the cable does work you save like $156 rather going the Taxtrix route.
I'm hungry:bbq:This burger is never gonna cook.

I feel I must post my good fortune with using the cheap vag-com cable. It was the best $13 I ever spent. I installed the drivers from the disc that came with the cable and was flashing and logging in minutes. I want other people to not be discouraged and try this route first if you have the appropriate year vehicle. Worst case scenario your out about $13, thats like 2 cups of coffee at starbucks and you only rent that. lol :lol:. Besides if the cable does work you save like $156 rather going the Taxtrix route.

I think it also depends on what machine you're running. Win7 wouldn't even think about installing the drivers that came with the disk. Too old.

I think people running Win7-32bit have had more success than those with 64bit.

Your right they would because a driver for a 32bit OS will never work on a 64bit OS and could cause serious issues on the computer i.e. the Blue Screen Of Death(BSOD). Oh, man those four years of college are totally pay off. Also I'm running 32bit version of XP pro

FYI: Windows 7 Professional edition and up have a neat feature call XP mode for those who need backward compatibility. I haven't tried it myself but may be viable option for those who cant get it to work on Win 7 but I believe you must be running 32bit still and if your running home premium edition which will be most of you your out of luck unless you upgrade.

I'm hungry:bbq:This burger is never gonna cook.

Just an update. I really don't get on here much anymore and I really appreciate you guys helping each other out. I no longer have my own LGT, so I will be of limited assistance in troubleshooting from this point forward. The only windows7 computer I have is a desktop, so I won't be of any help in that arena...
Let's kick this pig!

• 3 weeks later...
^ Have the same cable for my Audi. My Tactrix cable recently crapped out on me and I had to try this cable for flashing. I'm happy to say, that with the FTDI drivers in place, this cable is 100% fuctional for all aspects of tuning on my 2006 LGT using Vista Home Premium.