LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a new thread for using the Autonostics and VAG-COM cables to read and flash ECU's so let's migrate any flashing conversations over there if you would please:D;). Just trying to keep the logging info and flashing info seperate.
Let's kick this pig!

just to follow up on my problem: I found the issue. I had pointed my rommetadata to an empty directory so it did not have all the def's in there. I downloaded the new ones anyway and pointed it to that folder and it worked fine...was able to read/save/re-write the ROM.

Did you ever get it to work right. I saw that FishBOne is dropping packets too. I've never had that issue with any of the cables I have had. Make sure that the BAUD rate in the "advanced setting" for the COM port is set to 4800. I usually just use my APv1 cable to log, but I'll get one of my VAG-COM cables out and do some logging with it to see if it's missing data. IF it does, I'll find the fix;).
Let's kick this pig!

yep, i've used it to log many times, I just dont think i've ever noticed it dropped data. the baud is at 4800. one time, i actually plugged it into a different USB port and did not set up the BAUD for 4800....i figured it would automatically. i ended up taking a log and check after and it was at 9600 and it seemed to work anyway to my surprise. dunno if it dropped data, though.

qikslvr, my VAG(ina)-COM cable seems to drop at higher revs, for split seconds at a time. My BAUD rate has always been 4800 and still doing it, I even decreased it to 3200 or whatever the next value down is and it's still doing it. I have no idea why. I've been logging the "bare" minimum parameters like you and I always did.

yeah. I'm contemplating increasing the BAUD rate to give it a shot. I've plugged it into different USB ports and logged without checking, and after the fact realized that the BAUD was at 9600...but it still seemed to work. Gonna see if I can do it again.

I only logged MPH and RPM and it was still dropping data (at 4800)

Questions:

1) Should my new hex take like 15 seconds to load? Seems really ******* fast.

2) I got a knock sum of 2 without even breaking 2.5k rpm while idling. Also wants to stall after any revving. Seems really bad to me. Anyone confirm?

3) We think there might be a boost leak. Could that be causing all the issues under item 2?

EDIT: Just put on UP/DP/TMIC/MID-Y and flashed Stg 2.

Forgot to mention .75 is your initial IAM, it will not change until you meet the conditions for it to do so (operating temp and in boost briefly). Answered your other questions via email.

So what would keep the IAM from popping up to 1.0 ? Mine usually will pop up from .70(.6895?) to .9#(.9285?) to 1.0 within a few blocks and a couple blips of the pedal, but sometimes after an ECU reset(even while car is warm); I can drive for miles without a knock or anything and it just won't pop up to 1. WTF? BTW these are know "good" or "clean" maps too.

Edited by qikslvr
Let's kick this pig!

So what would keep the IAM from popping up to 1.0 ? Mine usually will pop up from .70(.6895?) to .9#(.9285?) to 1.0 within a few blocks and a couple blips of the pedal, but sometimes after an ECU reset(even while car is warm); I can drive for miles without a knock or anything and it just won't pop up to 1. WTF? BTW these are know "good" or "clean" maps too.

You haven't met the treholds for the rough correction to change. The most important things to remeber is your car must be at operating temp and in boost.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302047

• 2 months later...

I understand what needs to occur for the IAM to pop up, but don't clearly understand what would prevent from incrementing. I just ran into an issue where I could get map "A" to pop up to 1.00 before the end of the first mile after a warm reset. Then I could stop in a parking lot, reset the ECU and load map "B" (which is map "A" with a small tweak to WGDC and boost targets around 5.2K RPMs). Then it wouldn't come off .7 even after hours of driving. Sometimes it would jump right up one increment to .9 and stay there and on a rare occasion it would actually pop right up to 1.00.

I've got a boost gauge and can plant the needle wherever I want and keep it there, but it just didn't always work on that map. It didn't knock, AFR's were spot on, and it seemed to run clean, but the multiplier just wouldn't inc. I could tell within a block or two if it wasn't going to go; I just don't know why.

Another weird thing is that even after map "B" didn't/wouldn't incrememnt; I could load map "A" without a reset and the IAM would go right to 1.00 as it should and then reload map "B" again and all was good with no drop in IAM ever. So... map "A" was fine, but ANY change to it would result in a map that had a hard time getting to 1.00. I'm off onto other things now, but it was just a weird occurance that I never quite figured out.

Let's kick this pig!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 2005.5 LGT 5EAT / Ebay VAG-COM cable 401 kkL....

Hey everyone, I'm also a noob with this stuff. I've followed qikslvr's info pretty much to the teeth.. here's my dilemma:

RomRaider is now connecting and able to log from my first test.

ECUFlash 1.29 will not connect to the ECU.

- Do I need to upload different ECU definitions and use it? If so, where?

- Site says the new definitions file won't work with any version prior to 1.31?

- Should I try a newer version? or newest one?

- Any other suggestions?

hype

My 2005.5 LGT 5EAT / Ebay VAG-COM cable 401 kkL....

Hey everyone, I'm also a noob with this stuff. I've followed qikslvr's info pretty much to the teeth.. here's my dilemma:

RomRaider is now connecting and able to log from my first test.

ECUFlash 1.29 will not connect to the ECU.

- Do I need to upload different ECU definitions and use it? If so, where?

- Site says the new definitions file won't work with any version prior to 1.31?

- Should I try a newer version? or newest one?

- Any other suggestions?

hype

i had this problem too, all you need to do is completely delete the ecu flash program and simply upload it again....upon opening it, after uploading it again, make sure your vag-com cable is connected and your ignition is on test mode....when in testmode then open the ecu flash program1.29......trial and error this is what worked for me.. goodluck

Ok, the first one of these I bought never came in, but I got my money back. Now, a few months later and a few less brain cells later, I find myself looking on e-bay (again) for one of these cables. They range from $34.99 - $5.88. Which one should I order?

I picked up a "VAG-COM KKL USB PC Scanner for VW Audi 409" from ebay seller obd2techca.

So far it has worked with the latest version of RomRaider/Logger, EcuFlash, and Leaning View as well I was able to configure Cobb's ATR to read through it for logging on my '05 OBXT.

All I did was install EcuFlash first, then I plugged in the VAG-Com cable. The PC recognized it as COM3. I also set the properties of the Virtual Com Port in the Device Manager for 4800 baud.

YMMV...

Edited by dschultz
typo