LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

I'm having a heck of a time getting ECUFLASH to work with my vag-comm cable. I have Rom Raider logger working fine as well as learning view thanks to your instructions. I just cant for the life of me get ECUFLASH to connect. it is giving me the following error in the log

Using interface FT232R USB UART a900649d

Interface Close

Unable to connect to vehicle interface

interface close

Any Suggestions?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a heck of a time getting ECUFLASH to work with my vag-comm cable. I have Rom Raider logger working fine as well as learning view thanks to your instructions. I just cant for the life of me get ECUFLASH to connect. it is giving me the following error in the log

Using interface FT232R USB UART a900649d

Interface Close

Unable to connect to vehicle interface

interface close

Any Suggestions?

Possibly a basic question, but, did you make sure the test connectors are connected?

Other members may have had different results, but what worked for me was using the Tactrix drivers that came with ECUFlash. The FTDI drivers gave me lots of issues with varying version of ECUFlash. But with the Tactrix drivers, I can use any version of ECUFlash, including the newest releases.

Another basic item: the engine cannot be running, and the ignition must be set to the ON position. Sorry if this is way beneath what you've tried, but I dunno what you've done thus far.

Oh, you might try to do a fresh restart on the PC and then just open ECUFlash. I found that sometimes if I went from using RR to using ECUFlash, RomRaider would still have the interface in use, making ECUFlash unable to open the interface.

ok got mine to work, problem was a two part problem. First as some one else said 1.29 is the latest I was able to get to work, but for some reason any version before 1.34 locks up my laptop. So I dragged out my desktop to the garage and finally got it to work when I installed 1.29 on it. So I use my laptop to log and my desktop to read and flash. Only took me 6 hours of playing with diffrent options to get it to work!

Thank you all for your sugestions.

I know I'm going to get beat up for this question, but I bought the same cable from Alpha-Bid and can get it to read/log but can't get it to flash at all. My guess is because the car i'm trying to flash is a 05 WRX 2.0 Turbo. It's not Drive-by-Wire like the Legacy/STI's so it requires the 12volt write block http://www.tactrix.com/images/0405_WRX_init_connector_smwm.JPG.

My flash issue is ECUflash fails to write because Programming voltage is too low.

Example from my logs:

-reading ecu programming voltage

-programming voltage is 4.28 volts

-programming voltage is out of range!

Does anyone know for sure this won't work for Drive-by-cable / WRX ECU's or should work etc.

Due to the difficulty and price with the openport/tactrix cables I was hoping this would work for me as well.

Morrias, what drivers did you use? Lasted FTDI (worked) or the one's on alpha-bids link (didn't work for me), or the ECUflash 1.29a drivers?

Thank you

Assuming that you are using the initialization jumper that you know that you need, my guess is that your voltage is just too low. I had an issue like that before. I shut off all my accessories and drove the car around for 5 minutes or so to get the voltage back up, and then reflashed. I had a lightweight battery in the car so I had some issues when it was cold out.

If I'm able to flash with my Access Port cable using Cobb's software, then why can't I flash with the AP cable using EcuFlash? Is it because Ecuflash is written specifically for the Tactrix cable? If thats the case, then why does the Autotronics cable work?

If I'm able to flash with my Access Port cable using Cobb's software, then why can't I flash with the AP cable using EcuFlash? Is it because Ecuflash is written specifically for the Tactrix cable? If thats the case, then why does the Autotronics cable work?

Good question. I believe Cobb uses the AP hardware to do the OBDII ECU flashing translation; where, the Tactrix and Autonostic cables have hardware built in to do the same thing. Example: You can't install a Basemap from the StreetTuner Software on a laptop, you can load realtime maps just like the AP, but no Basemaps without the actual AP.

I can use my APv1 cable and StreetTuner-Advanced to get what you guys call the "learning view" as it is just a couple tables in the map that hold those learned values. However, when I try to use the software "Learning Viewer" with my Cobb APv1 cable the computer blue screens and reboots(hopefuly:lol:it is Microsoft ya know). Using the Autonostics cable I can do the exact opposite. I can do everything including read and write my Cobb AP Basemap, but I can't hook up to ST-A or the AP. So it's the cable.

Let's kick this pig!

Good question. I believe Cobb uses the AP hardware to do the OBDII ECU flashing translation; where, the Tactrix and Autonostic cables have hardware built in to do the same thing. Example: You can't install a Basemap from the StreetTuner Software on a laptop, you can load realtime maps just like the AP, but no Basemaps without the actual AP.

I can use my APv1 cable and StreetTuner-Advanced to get what you guys call the "learning view" as it is just a couple tables in the map that hold those learned values. However, when I try to use the software "Learning Viewer" with my Cobb APv1 cable the computer blue screens and reboots(hopefuly:lol:it is Microsoft ya know). Using the Autonostics cable I can do the exact opposite. I can do everything including read and write my Cobb AP Basemap, but I can't hook up to ST-A or the AP. So it's the cable.

Ahh, that makes sense. Incidentally, I have been able to get the Learning Viewer software to work with the APv1 cable. It was also able to read the DTC codes. I got all excited and thought for a second I could use the APv1 cable to read the ECU, but realized there has to be some hardware involved and it was pointless to try. I ordered the VAG-com cable off of Ebay as it looks like Autonostics folded. Tactrix wants 169 for the OpenPort 2.0, ouch.

Thanks for the reply, the problem turned out to be that 12V has to be applied to the ECU in DBC cars, so I modified the OBDII cable end, pins 16 (12v) to go to Pin 11 which goes to the ECU with a soldered switch, and this fixed the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help

Assuming that you are using the initialization jumper that you know that you need, my guess is that your voltage is just too low. I had an issue like that before. I shut off all my accessories and drove the car around for 5 minutes or so to get the voltage back up, and then reflashed. I had a lightweight battery in the car so I had some issues when it was cold out.

• 4 weeks later...

So since I finally got my cable in the mail, I decided to try to read my ECU.

Can't do it. Everytime it starts to read it gets an error in the application and the dash displays "Err HC"

Anybody know what's going on? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

The ErHC on the dash means that the software has connected to the ECU and is trying to read it. Did you choose the correct vehicle/ECU from the list in the pop up window after you click read?
Let's kick this pig!

The ErHC on the dash means that the software has connected to the ECU and is trying to read it. Did you choose the correct vehicle/ECU from the list in the pop up window after you click read?

So the Err HC message is OK?

What vehicle do you choose in that pop up?

hmm....whenever I use ECUflash and click "Read ECU" it just opens up a blank box with nothing inside. RomRaider works fine, I can log and access the ECU with no issues. it seems like ECUflash is seeing my cable (VAG-COM cable, i didnt do anything special I just installed the ECUflash program) because in the bottom right corner it says USB <-> Serial after I plug it in.

anyone have any ideas? i'm currently searching around, about to download 1.29 see if it helps at all

also, just to make sure, I need to plug in the green connectors whenever I'm doing any reading/flashing with ECUflash, correct? i've read around and it seems like this is true, but looking for a confirmation of what i've gathered.

Here is the quick rundown(off the top of my head) of the steps needed to read/flash. A couple are just little things to make sure it's hassle free. Some people may flip a couple steps around, but this is my basic ritual when using ECU flash.

Warning!!NEVER try to Read or Flash the ECU if ANY other program/driver has locked up since the last reboot! This can cause the PC to lock up in the middle of an image and that's not good so please only do this if you understand the risk involved and are willing to accept it.

Try this:

1. Get in the car.

2. Connect the green "TEST" connectors that can be found just a hair to the drivers side of dead center behind the glovebox. They are tucked away in a little compartment behind the top of the carpet. Find them and connect them.

3. Reboot the computer and/or let it completely boot up.(just to make sure the drivers are all clean)

4. Connect the OBDII end of the cable into the car if it isn't already.

5. Connect the USB end into the computer and wait a few seconds.

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position. At this point the dash should light up like a Christmas tree, the fan should start cycling on and off. and your odometer should read "ErHC" after you connect to the ECU.

7. Start ECUflash, You should be able to select Read, select your ECU/Vehicle, click the button and it should start reading. Your odometer should read "ErHC" after you connect to the ECU.

I'll clean this up and start a new thread for "Using the Autonostics/VagCom Cable to Read/Flash".

Edited by qikslvr
Let's kick this pig!

heh cool, thanks for the instructions. only thing I have to note is that I don't think "ErHC" comes up until after you've begun to access the ECU or something. I had the test connectors plugged together and turned the car on and got all the lights and fans, but no ErHC...i remember that coming up when I start to flash with the AP so I'm guessing it has to do with reading/writing the ECU ROM

it feels kinda nice to ditch the AP...