LegacyGT.com

Modified Headlight Picture thread

chikmagnet

how is everyone wiring the halo or LED strips, what did you connect them to? i wired my led strips to my blinker light/ parking light wire, now when i have my lights on and use the blinker all the blinkers go at the same time. when my lights are turned off the blinkers work the way they are supposed to so obviously what i did is not right.

thanks in advance, scott

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

So, long story short, I got a free headlight out of a fender bender my brother got in (+1 also front bumper with no dumb screw holes for the license plate!). My previous "retro-fit" job was my first crack at modding headlights and it was fair, but the quality of the LEDs wasn't great and they started going out. AND it wasn't quiiiiite what I wanted to do. So, now here I am with a free replacement for those LEDs (a much brighter COBB LED, and more full look) and a pair of headlights (one of the TVC knockoffs added on) and some time on my hands.

I wanted a more uniform light source of the angel eyes, and that looks more a part of the headlight rather than stuck on to the front shroud like my first go at it. Soooo I pulled out the dremmel and went cutting away on the first headlight (after baking and separating of course). Before I go forward btw, the TVC replacement headlight that I've seen bashed on other threads isn't completely accurate in my experience. When others have posted about trying to separate it after baking, they said the plastic of the backing has just bent rather than the sealant just pulling apart. I believe the headlight won't stand up to the temperatures the OEM quality can, thus another example of you get what you pay for –*sacrificing a little quality of the OEM for cost of a knockoff. So I only baked that headlight for 15 min at 170*F, not having an issue with pulling it apart. But maybe that was just dumb luck. HOWEVER the real problem with these replacement headlights are the lenses in the projector. Thankfully I was planning on this retrofit job and ordered better lenses than the OEM ones, so I dodged a bullet there. The replacement lens was downright horrendous, being able to see each pass of the pitiful CNC job on the convex part of the lens. So, if you go for cheaper housing, opt in for TRS's Black Series Clear Lenses, which will run you about $40, not bad for a superior–than–OEM quality pair.

Okay, back the slicing and dicing! I wanted the "prongs" of the '06's design to look like they're holding the angel eyes. So, I started with a simple drill attachment and went cutting away, carefully. After getting the center cut around to the prongs, I started in with an xacto knife to smooth the edges and get the corners nice and clean. After about 4 hours, I got it to a place I was satisfied with (for now) and started test fitting. Here's my initial shots:

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B3EKi8JWGvuick9mRGZnMFdueTNOVTV2NndRVGFfYlJnUnVz&authuser=0

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B3EKi8JWGvuiT3BiT21wRzZyYnRXUGVvQS02cGgwSnNkbjFj&authuser=0

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B3EKi8JWGvuiNmpqUjdwZVplREtXMXJXUnRvczlTcnVGV09F&authuser=0

So, as you can see, it looks quite nice. A few wavy lines where my hands couldn't hold a perfect line, but all in all I think it's quite smooth and sleek looking. I'm not the biggest fan of the shroud design in these '06's, however I think this adds to the effect I believe the Subie designers were working towards. I get a kind of Iron-Man look about it. Or something like that hah.

Next is the other headlight to start the cutting, blacking out most of the chrome, wiring, a time delay for the halos to turn on after the car starts and off after it shuts off, and then I'm going to do some researching for some strips of light perhaps. But that'll be for another day. Any thoughts/suggestions, let me know!

So wait did the retrofits not drop right in place of the oem lens part? according to the website you do not need to do anything other than install it... thanks let me know it time for me to redo mine as well.

Scott

OK so the retrofit lens is only the lens not the angel eyes. So where did you get the Angel eyes at? where did you wire them up? I wired my LED stripe to my blinker and it made ALL my blinkers blink when my lights are on. I disconnected them

Scott

OK so the retrofit lens is only the lens not the angel eyes. So where did you get the Angel eyes at? where did you wire them up? I wired my LED stripe to my blinker and it made ALL my blinkers blink when my lights are on. I disconnected them

Scott

Angel eyes = halos, and TRS has them, too.

Scott

The lens is the glass part of your projector, held in by the circular black piece connected to the reflector where your bulb plugs in. The TYC replacement headlight doesn't have near the quality that OEM has, and if you order from TRS (The Retrofit Source) their Black Series lenses (our glass diameter is 2.5" fyi) you'll be impressed by how much clearer they project the light.

I ordered my angel eyes from Diode Dynamics, they're local for me so it was easy to stop by, but TRS carries Morimoto LEDs which I've not heard a bad review on yet. I got the COBB LEDs, which put out a much more uniform intensity rather than being able to see each individual LED on the SMDs, that's just preference though.

As for wiring, it will suit you well to get a circuit tester (I think that's what they're called) from your local hardware/Radioshack store and test the wires coming from the side marker lights. I tested them till I found which were the parking lights and spliced them in there so I could control when they were on and off. They pop on with the headlights, which doesn't bother me, but don't blink with my switchback LEDs when I flip on my turn signals.

Yup they are 100mm so they do not sit all the way over the light I took a square rat tail file and notched grooves in the 3 square points that are on the housing and the halo sits in the notch I then glued them in place w an industrial glue imo I love the look of them not sitting flush

Yup they are 100mm so they do not sit all the way over the light I took a square rat tail file and notched grooves in the 3 square points that are on the housing and the halo sits in the notch I then glued them in place w an industrial glue imo I love the look of them not sitting flush

I might have to do this . I like the way that sounds more then them sitting flush

Haven't searched this much but do drop in 4300k HID bulbs in our stock headlamps look close to normal stock HID's on most cars? im considering getting back into aftermarket HID's, with some yellow hella fogs but haven't had a set since my last legacy back in 05. back in those days aftermarket HID kits would never light both headlights at the same time haha

IIRC i had the DDM kit.

also, Rick (underdog) your headlights look brand stinking new! i need to get the sand paper out!

-Brett

Haven't searched this much but do drop in 4300k HID bulbs in our stock headlamps look close to normal stock HID's on most cars? im considering getting back into aftermarket HID's, with some yellow hella fogs but haven't had a set since my last legacy back in 05. back in those days aftermarket HID kits would never light both headlights at the same time haha

IIRC i had the DDM kit.

also, Rick (underdog) your headlights look brand stinking new! i need to get the sand paper out!

-Brett

I have the Kensun kit from Amazon, and am very happy with it. Yes, both fire off at the same time.

If I had to do it again, for another $50, I would have used the TRS setup instead, though.

Archived