LegacyGT.com

@#$%!!! my clutch is going; need some input

c-lo

98k on the original, so not surprised. just bad timing. No real performance mods on the car other than some suspension and short throw shifter; it's my daily driver, I don't want to "pay to play".

my question is: should I replace with OEM flywheel, etc... or go performance?

Any advantage in my situation to go performance? Again, most like won't do much more performance except maybe exhaust. the car is pretty fast for me as it is. especially on the back and open roads around my house;)

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

can you tell me why? and who sells the ACT stage 1 clutch

ACT Stage 1 clutch and an 06 WRX flywheel.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Personally I'd stick with an OEM setup. It's been good to you so far, and if you aren't planning on big power mods, it's going to treat you well.

FWIW, I'm on the stock clutch and putting down 350 awhp and 350 ft/lbs with 47k miles on the car. :)

yeah, I was thinking about staying OEM. above suggestions said an 08 wrx flywheel. would there be any advantage to that over OEM?

By the way, this is going to really hurt the pocket book. it's gotta get towed tomorrow. sounds like the throw out bearing wants out bad. not going to risk it. and since I'm at 98k mind as well get the timing belt down too.

ughhhh........think I"m going to throw up.:mad::redface:

mine went fast. didn't even know it until it happened. expected some warning. think it was the "missed" shifts lately. more than usual. thought it was just me being stupid. had one into 5th today and that's all she wrote. started shuttering as I down shifted to stop and by the time i got home it was groaning.

I would not recommend a OEM clutch to anybody. These things are weak at best.

IMO get a Spec stage 1 of you want something close to stock.

Here's one link or do a web search for Spec Clutch or check the sponsors on this forum.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2243043

Here's a better link http://honda-tech.com/zerouser?cmd=viewprofile&id=2910

contact Danny.

or here http://www.specclutch.com/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My car is making decent power on the OEM clutch and it's holding up fine. I don't launch, so that's removed from the equation.

If the OP had an OEM clutch last 98k miles, replacing it with the OEM part isn't necessarily a bad thing to do.

maybe I'm easy to please, but I've never had a complaint about the clutch. I don't launch either as can be seen by a clutch with 98k on it.

I appreciate all the input. I have to decide what I'm going to put on it. also have to check with the mechanic I'm using. from what I'm told he typically doesn't do aftermarket stuff; but he is damn good. I'll talk to him tomorrow.

My car is making decent power on the OEM clutch and it's holding up fine. I don't launch, so that's removed from the equation.

If the OP had an OEM clutch last 98k miles, replacing it with the OEM part isn't necessarily a bad thing to do.

not a member over there. any other way of getting hold of him?

Here's one link or do a web search for Spec Clutch or check the sponsors on this forum.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2243043

Here's a better link http://honda-tech.com/zerouser?cmd=viewprofile&id=2910

contact Danny.

or here http://www.specclutch.com/

replied:)

I have brand new clutch/fly for sale... pmed you.

98k on a stock clutch seems pretty good (curious: to be regularly rev-match your shifts, would you describe your overall shifting as smooth?).

Just curious for others: Are the Stage 1 clutches THAT good compared to stock in pedal feel, longevity, etc. that they are worth the minor risk that comes with them?

Joe

yes, perhaps the other reason my clutch has lasted so long is the lack of stop and go traffic. I'm mostly 2 lane roads to work and RARELY sit in rush hour because of my work hours.

98k on a stock clutch seems pretty good (curious: to be regularly rev-match your shifts, would you describe your overall shifting as smooth?).

Just curious for others: Are the Stage 1 clutches THAT good compared to stock in pedal feel, longevity, etc. that they are worth the minor risk that comes with them?

Joe

98k miles - you are not alone. edmundu has nearly that with close to 400 whp on stock original clutch. These clutches are not as bad as people make them to be. TOB is potentially weak point though.

TOB??

should get a call by the end of the day. will let you know what I hear. if needed can you overnight that?

98k miles - you are not alone. edmundu has nearly that with close to 400 whp on stock original clutch. These clutches are not as bad as people make them to be. TOB is potentially leak point though.

TOB??

should get a call by the end of the day. will let you know what I hear. if needed can you overnight that?

I could, but it will cost you arm and leg. Btw, my set does not include TOB (throw-out bearing). It's <$30 from a dealer.

Archived