LegacyGT.com

Summer Tires vs. All Season tire

Nickz31se-r

So, I am planning on running summer, allseason and winter rubber but at the same time Im not sure if I truly need to do this.

I live outside Philadelphia and last year saw too many days that I really did not need to have my Blizzak LM22's on the car.

I forget what temperature summer tires start to lose grip compared to an allseason. Ideally I think that I should have the all seasons on oct and nov and april through may.

I need the all seasons for the compound and not at all for snow performance, if there was any snow I would simply swap to the winter rubber.

Any suggestions as far as a high performance all season that is less concerned with snow performance and more able to deal with g's?

I've been using Yokohama Advan S.4 All-Seasons as summer tires this year. I had Toyo T1-R's (summer tire) on before.

The advan's are a superior tire. Hold the road as well if not better than the T-1R's. The Advan's don't wear anywhere near as fast as the T1-R's.

I have the ability to leave the tire on untill the snow comes and stays

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I've been using Yokohama Advan S.4 All-Seasons as summer tires this year. I had Toyo T1-R's (summer tire) on before.

The advan's are a superior tire. Hold the road as well if not better than the T-1R's. The Advan's don't wear anywhere near as fast as the T1-R's.

Yeah, but T1-Rs aren't a great summer tire.

Something like z1 star specs, RE-01Rs, or even RE050A pole positions will have more grip than the S.4.

Seriously, OP you'll do fine with a summer and winter only.

Put the winter son when the LOWs are normally in the 30s and you'll be fine. Any temp. below about 60F will be fine for winters.

Summers will do ok 40F or above, but be careful with them as they'll take longer to warm up -- basically be careful the 1st 15 minutes or so of driving in the morning.

the above makes sense

I say this only b/c I currently have Nitto 555's on and pushed them pretty hard recently and thought they did a better job than the T1R's that I took off a set of wheels I am havinig powder coated. Think I am going to go with the 555's for the summer.

nm+

the only reason that I am going to run 3 sets is b/c I have 3 sets of wheels that I like so I figure I will hook one set up to run on all seasons during the afore mentioned 40 to 60 degree months.

I guess.

If i had 3 sets of wheels I'd buy some summer, winters, and r-comps. :)

I have 4 sets!

Then i'd have A6s and R6s

(No I'm not really questioning you, I'm just shocked at how many wheels you have)

Oh and the general Exclaim UHP has a compound that can hol up to cold, it just stucks in teh snow (no sipes)

Also heard good things about the new (as opposed to the old) Goodyear GT.

Hey Nick,

As someone living about 8 miles from you, I think I can comment on this a bit :)

I would say use a borderline summer tire for April-November....The General Exclaim UHP is a good example (it's rated as a summer tire on tirerack but it's a Mud&Snow rated tire....it's fair in light snow and 20 degrees). Just go with 225/45/17....it's got a very thin sidewall, so you need the extra sidewall on 225/45/17.

Or the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S....similar in tread compound, in that it's practically a summer tire but can handle some cold.

Then go with a serious winter tire that has some performance and tread life. Nokian WR, for instance.

I said this in another post...in PA, we don't really need "snow tires"....our biggest concern is patches of ice.

Joe

So, have you run the S.Drives in light or moderate snow? If so--how'd they do? I'm trying to get out of having to buy a new set of snows AND a new set of summers, and was considering the S.Drives as one of my top choices (my decision is down to them, the Eagle F-1 A/S or maybe Michelin PS A/S...if I sell a kidney).

We haven't gotten any significant snow is the past several years in NJ, I'm in a job where I can work from home when needed, and we haven't gone to VT skiiing since our little one was born a year ago. All said, I'm having trouble justifying another set of snows.

Would be interested in your feedback on the S.Drives...or any of the others I mentioned if you've run 'em ;)

TIA,

Tim

The S.4 is better than the stock RE92's in the snow and thousands times better in the wet. But it is not the best performing snow tire.

I picked it cause up here in the mountains, it can snow in May. So i got an all season that handles like a summer, but won't explode me off a cliff in the snow.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The S.4 is better than the stock RE92's in the snow and thousands times better in the wet. But it is not the best performing snow tire.

I picked it cause up here in the mountains, it can snow in May. So i got an all season that handles like a summer, but won't explode me off a cliff in the snow.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Like I said, I'm looking for an all-season with "dry/wet performance" as the first criteria, but as a close second--they need to be at least slightly capable in the snow. I can't afford for them to be death traps in the white stuff--"when" or "if" we ever get any again! ;)

Thanks again,

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
The General Exclaim UHP is a good example (it's rated as a summer tire on tirerack but it's a Mud&Snow rated tire....it's fair in light snow and 20 degrees). Just go with 225/45/17....it's got a very thin sidewall, so you need the extra sidewall on 225/45/17.

I don't understand that. I would think that the slightly taller sidewall of a 225/45/17 would flex more and handle worse than the slightly shorter sidewall of a 215/45/17. Are you saying the slightly taller sidewall is also thicker to the point where if flexes less than the shorter thinner sidewall? I would think since the height difference is so small any thickness difference would also be very small.

Or am I misunderstanding your reason for saying a taller sidewall is desireable when the sidewall is thin?

Summer tires plus Nokian WR's FTW.

I have Nokian RSI's (dedicated snows) as well, but did not use them last winter as the WR's were so good.

Summer I use Goodyear F1 GS D3's.

WR

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/nokianwr.jpg

RSI

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/nokianrsi.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 3 years later...
I don't understand that. I would think that the slightly taller sidewall of a 225/45/17 would flex more and handle worse than the slightly shorter sidewall of a 215/45/17. Are you saying the slightly taller sidewall is also thicker to the point where if flexes less than the shorter thinner sidewall? I would think since the height difference is so small any thickness difference would also be very small.

Or am I misunderstanding your reason for saying a taller sidewall is desireable when the sidewall is thin?

I know this is an old thread but I'm going to say I've got the stock tires on my 97 Outback which are 205/70/15 Being as they are all season right now I hate the feeling on hard turns or just shaking the wheel when driving the tall sidewall causes the car to hand a extended sway to it.

My summers I will be putting on are going to be 205/55/16

You can pretty much see by the wear marks on the tire how the stock outback tires fold over when corning hard.

Archived