LegacyGT.com

If it looks like a Prius, sounds like a Prius, it's a Honda Insight?

Here is Honda's Prius-fighter in concept form...

Starting from $18.5k apparently.

Some of the LED lights and the wacky wheels probably won't make production but otherwise it looks ready for the showroom.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2008/09/insight_concept_001.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2008/09/insight_concept_002.jpg

lol, they had that FCZ concept for a while. and yes it does look a lot better than a prius.

FCZ? :confused: Do you mean FCX Clarity, the red one in the second picture? The FCX is a different car, it's bigger and it's powered by fuel cells not a hybrid drivetrain. The FCX is currently only available for leasing. The third car in that pic is the CR-Z concept, which will be another hybrid but smaller and it's intended as the spiritual successor to the CRX. This Honda Insight concept is brand new and will be shown for the first time in Paris next month and go on sale early 2009.

I always thought that Honda Insight was an Illuminati conspiracy car.

Honda was like, "Here's a hybrid car, it can get 40mpg... but it looks like crapt!"

It never had to look like that in the first place. Now I guess "they" have given Honda permission to make it look a little more normal.

Cue Simpson's music... "Who holds back the electric car-- We Do!! We Do!!"

I like the new CR-Z that I think is supposed to be a hybrid. I hppe they bring it over to North America. Much sportier than this new Insight.

However this newly designed Insight is light years better than that first edition.

Nice. Prius-esque definitely. I think as fuel economy goals are raised, more & more cars are going to be developed around this basic shape which lends itself to optimal aerodynamics/low drag coefficient. Perfect profile for low drag/low NVH? Thoughts?

Nice. Prius-esque definitely. I think as fuel economy goals are raised, more & more cars are going to be developed around this basic shape which lends itself to optimal aerodynamics/low drag coefficient. Perfect profile for low drag/low NVH? Thoughts?

perfect profile to save money on design costs :lol:

the other company already spent the money

car for sale. PM me!

Huh :confused:

The Insight was out in 1999, way before the Prius.

Actually the first generation Prius came out in 1997 based on the Echo, 2 years before the Insight although only sold in Japan until 2001. I was referring to the syling and not the concept of a hybrid anyway.

I mean this is just a blatant rip-off. The new Civic is somewhat Star Wars-y and polarizing, but at least is it somewhat original.

Here is Honda's Prius-fighter in concept form...

Starting from $18.5k apparently.

Some of the LED lights and the wacky wheels probably won't make production but otherwise it looks ready for the showroom.

I wouldnt be so sure have you seen the euro civic? i wouldnt put it past honda of putting that into production no alterations

I like how Honda saw that Toyota's design was working and emulated it. Nice. They should have named it the Brius.

In other news.

The Environmental Protection Agency is considering altering the way it determines mileage figures for hybrid vehicles which could ultimately result in much higher mileage figures being awarded to hybrids. Currently, the EPA test cycle involves city and highway driving, as well as speed runs and air conditioning loads. The Chevrolet Volt hybrid currently achieves figures higher than around 100mpg on these tests, thanks to its 40-mile electric-only range and the fact that its internal combustion engine is only used around 15% of the time for the EPA test.

But now the agency wants to change the requirements of the test drastically - the new proposal would require hybrid cars] that are tested to be kept at close to full charge, meaning that effectively their electric-only range is eliminated, reports MotorTrend.

The proposal would have far reaching effects on upcoming hybrid vehicles and plug-ins, and while it would be a more accurate measurement for long driving distances, it would provide a skewed result for short-distance commuters. For example, under the new system the Chevrolet Volt would achieve under 50mpg, despite the fact that many Volt purchasers would travel less than 40 miles per day and would thus only ever use the electric engine.

While the EPA is not yet fully committed to the proposal it comes as worrying news to GM, which may end up having to mount a new marketing campaign advertising the ‘true’ abilities of the Volt. The Volt will certainly not be the only hybrid affected either, with vehicles from every manufacturer set to experience falls in mileage figures if the new certification goes ahead.

the Civic Hybrid didn't scream "I'm a douchebag" loud enough like the Prius did. I mean, Civic Hybrid owners had to remind us it was a hybrid...it didn't look different than a normal Civic. Honda's thinking was mainstream.

The funky Prius became a meme....the 'in' thing. Sure, I like to pretend I'm environmentally conscious as I tool over to Starbucks for a $5 latte and then drive it like I stole it tailgating gas hogs, totally reversing any benefits. Not to mention the <gasp> environmental impact of disposing of a $7k lithium-ion core. :meh:

No hybrid sold today passes the ten year test. Every single one costs MORE to own and run than their gas counterparts. Who's fooling who? Marketing > hybrid owners.

No hybrid sold today passes the ten year test. Every single one costs MORE to own and run than their gas counterparts. Who's fooling who? Marketing > hybrid owners.

Apparently they are fooling you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24669757?pg=2#Which_hybrid_080515

Tribue hybrid:1.3 (years to make up difference)

Tahoe hybrid: 2.8

Escape hybrid: 2.5

Honda Civic hybrid: 3.0

Altima hybrid: 3.8

Prius 3.9 [they compare it to a Matrix]

Mariner hybrid: 4.0

Vue hybrid: 4.4

Camry hybrid: 5.7

Highlander hybrid: 5.9

RX400h: 6.2

Malibu hybrid: 7.6

the Civic Hybrid didn't scream "I'm a douchebag" loud enough like the Prius did. I mean, Civic Hybrid owners had to remind us it was a hybrid...it didn't look different than a normal Civic. Honda's thinking was mainstream.

The funky Prius became a meme....the 'in' thing. Sure, I like to pretend I'm environmentally conscious as I tool over to Starbucks for a $5 latte and then drive it like I stole it tailgating gas hogs, totally reversing any benefits. Not to mention the <gasp> environmental impact of disposing of a $7k lithium-ion core. :meh:

You forgot the super enviromentaly friendly styrofoam cup the coffee comes in.:lol:

Apparently they are fooling you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24669757?pg=2#Which_hybrid_080515

Tribue hybrid:1.3 (years to make up difference)

Tahoe hybrid: 2.8

Escape hybrid: 2.5

Honda Civic hybrid: 3.0

Altima hybrid: 3.8

Prius 3.9 [they compare it to a Matrix]

Mariner hybrid: 4.0

Vue hybrid: 4.4

Camry hybrid: 5.7

Highlander hybrid: 5.9

RX400h: 6.2

Malibu hybrid: 7.6

yeah, note where I said 'ten year test' to include replacement of teh battery pack. Try again.

yeah, note where I said 'ten year test' to include replacement of teh battery pack. Try again.

Except the battery packs haven't been wearing out. Do your homework.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/14639/toyota-prius-the-taxi-champion/

Up in north Queensland a Cairns-based Toyota Prius taxi has recently clocked up 550,000 kilometres, the highest kilometres recorded for an Australia delivered Prius to date.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=542377&pkw=PI&vendor=Paid+Inclusion&OCID=iSEMPI

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=5601

service life is indicated at 7-8 years for most. the fact that they might outlast that doesn't mean they don't need to be replaced. Like a timing belt....you're lucky if you get 100k+ out of one but that doesn't mean you can ignore the cost of replacing it.

service life is indicated at 7-8 years for most. the fact that they might outlast that doesn't mean they don't need to be replaced. Like a timing belt....you're lucky if you get 100k+ out of one but that doesn't mean you can ignore the cost of replacing it.

Show me the proof.

If the service life were 7-8 years Toyota would not be giving all of their hybrids 10 year warranties on the battery pack. Toyota isn't going to sell 250k hybrids a year and then take a $2000 hit on each 8 years down the road. :rolleyes: That would be quite the profit loss.

The fact is that the original Priui from '97 are still on the roads as are the original Insights from '99. The technology was proven itself reliable and as I pointed out are there are many testimonies that support this.

Archived