LegacyGT.com

If it looks like a Prius, sounds like a Prius, it's a Honda Insight?

Show me the proof.

If the service life were 7-8 years Toyota would not be giving all of their hybrids 10 year warranties on the battery pack. Toyota isn't going to sell 250k hybrids a year and then take a $2000 hit on each 8 years down the road. :rolleyes: That would be quite the profit loss.

The fact is that the original Priui from '97 are still on the roads as are the original Insights from '99. The technology was proven itself reliable and as I pointed out are there are many testimonies that support this.

I'll respect your opinion (and actually read what you write) when you move out of your mom's house.

the Civic Hybrid didn't scream "I'm a douchebag" loud enough like the Prius did. I mean, Civic Hybrid owners had to remind us it was a hybrid...it didn't look different than a normal Civic. Honda's thinking was mainstream.

The funky Prius became a meme....the 'in' thing. Sure, I like to pretend I'm environmentally conscious as I tool over to Starbucks for a $5 latte and then drive it like I stole it tailgating gas hogs, totally reversing any benefits. Not to mention the <gasp> environmental impact of disposing of a $7k lithium-ion core. :meh:

No hybrid sold today passes the ten year test. Every single one costs MORE to own and run than their gas counterparts. Who's fooling who? Marketing > hybrid owners.

thank you :)

now where's my Hydrogen powered car? :lol:

thank you :)

now where's my Hydrogen powered car? :lol:

available now but the issue is the fuel. It's not the solution it appears to be either. You can get a module that plugs in via 220v in your garage - it makes hydrogen and refuels the car. Guess what supplies the electricity? Most likely a non-renewable energy source unless you're lucky and get nuclear power or are hooked up to Niagara.

available now but the issue is the fuel. It's not the solution it appears to be either. You can get a module that plugs in via 220v in your garage - it makes hydrogen and refuels the car. Guess what supplies the electricity? Most likely a non-renewable energy source unless you're lucky and get nuclear power or are hooked up to Niagara.

Nuclear power isn't that clean either :(

The problem lies in the fact that any way we have of producing electricity can and will cause enviromental damage.

In 1970 they built a dam to channel the waters of the Pisquataqua river for power production and water use.

It prevented certain breeds of fish from swimming up river to mating grounds that they had used for thousands of years.

They recently removed the dams and are conducting an extensive study to see if the fish will return.

Other dams create huge lakes that were never there before destroying acres of forest.

Nuclear power plants release large amounts of warm water either into a local river/lake/ocean or underground deposit. Even when they cool the water they still cause damamge by releasing clean water into eco water and throwing off the PH balance.

Waste water treatment plants do the same :spin:

The warm water negatively effects the native aqautic species and can harm plant life on the shore line.

Not to mention the used Uranium has to go somewhere......

Don't get me wrong... i'm no tree hugger.... just stating the facts.

EDIT:

Solar power is great way to produce clean energy... but hardly cost effective.

Wind is the same :(

Now why is the immature comment neccessary?

If you don't have anything to support your claim that's your own fault.

Find me concrete data on ALL manufacturer's expectations for life expectancy of the battery packs. You've stated that those few models in service longer than the original estimates have lasted - it's not scientifically valid to take that datum and extrapolate it across all makes and models. Toyota and Honda are known for exceeding their service life.

Find me concrete data on ALL manufacturer's expectations for life expectancy of the battery packs. You've stated that those few models in service longer than the original estimates have lasted - it's not scientifically valid to take that datum and extrapolate it across all makes and models. Toyota and Honda are known for exceeding their service life.

Ah, but we are talking about Toyota and Honda in this thread. I wouldn't want to bring up another type of vehicle and cite data about it in a thread that was geared at a particular brand. I was warned for that last night.

• 7 months later...
Toyota Said to Slash Prius Price in Duel With Honda

By Doron Levin

April 20 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s largest automaker, will cut the base price of its Prius gas- electric hybrid model by $1,000 to $21,000, as it competes with Honda Motor Co.’s Insight, said a person familiar with the matter.

Honda introduced the Insight on March 24 with a sticker price starting at $19,800, undercutting the 2009 Prius, which starts at $22,000. Toyota will announce prices on the 2010 model tomorrow, with details about the new car tomorrow, said the person, who asked not to be named because the statement is pending.

The two hybrids were introduced more than a decade ago. Since then the Prius has led in sales, accounting for half of all such models sold in the U.S. Honda dropped the original two- seat Insight in 2006 and revived the name this year with a bigger version.

Insight’s fuel efficiency is rated at 41 miles per gallon, combined for city and highway driving, said Sage Marie, a Honda spokesman.

Prius, classified as a midsize sedan, will be rated at a combined 50 miles per gallon, said the person familiar with the price.

‘Huge Brand’

A Toyota spokesman in Japan declined a month ago to confirm or deny a Nikkei newspaper report that the automaker planned to cut the price of its older model Prius to match the price of the new Insight.

New Prius models will be available in a month; the cheaper ones not until later in the year, said the person.

Details were disclosed to a small group of Toyota dealers today at a meeting in Washington, D.C., said the person.

“Prius has become a synonym for hybrid, it’s a huge brand unto itself,” said David Fischer, a car dealer based in Troy, Michigan and owner of a Toyota franchise. “Insight will do the same for Honda. The hybrid is no longer a boutique concept, it’s becoming mainstream.”

Through the first quarter of the year Prius sold 24,277 units in the U.S., off 43 percent from a year earlier. Insight sold 569 cars in March, when it had limited time in the U.S. market.

The new Prius is the model’s third generation, billed by Toyota as bigger and more fuel-efficient.

Suck it Insight!

Archived