LegacyGT.com

Which Battery to get?

I currently have MaxxEverstart in 4 vehicles, in the driveway. I think the one in the wagon is near 5 years old.

Just replaced the Advance Auto battery in my 86 Ford F150, it was 9 years old. Johnson Controls.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never had an issue with Interstate batteries. I just bought a car and it has a Walmart battery with a sticker from 6/13 making it just over 2 years old and it has had a tough time starting my car the couple days it's dropped down to 30 degrees. It should be covered under warranty, but I'm not sure if they will help me out since I don't have a receipt. I'll have to stop and try.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

After my 4th Advance Auto battery in 1 year they quit warrantying it, saying there was something wrong with my car, and gave me a full refund. I went and bought an Interstate and drove on it for 4 years before I traded.

Just my experience.

CCA definitely matters, when it is -26F outside, I NEED my car to start, the Acura CL-S has a 950 CCA battery and the Subaru has 700 CCA.

I typically buy construction equipment batteries, they last for years and will get the juice on even in extreme cold weather

CCA is very misleading, IMO. A better measure of a battery's capacity is "minutes of reserve" or Ampere-Hours. You increase CCA by adding more plate surface area. Unfortunately in so doing you reduce the quantity of electrolyte. This will reduce overall capacity and of course service life.

I don't know of any car engine made that requires 950A to start. I have started a V8 with a 60A power supply.

After removing my old battery I saw a sticker saying it was made in Feb 2012. Had it installed on 8/25/2012. I'm guessing sitting on the shelf for 6 months didn't help its longevity.

Back when I bought the battery, the auto services at BJ's was Monro - BJ's sold you the battery or tires and Monro installed them. Sometime in the last year Monro left and now they only install tires. So after having one of the tire installers look at my battery to verify it's leaking, had to buy a new battery and install it myself at home. Brought back the old battery and they refunded both the core charge and cost of a new battery. 40 month warranty FTW!

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived