LegacyGT.com

Which Battery to get?

I have a Braile battery for sale if anyone wants one. don't recommend for the winter time, unless you live in sunny CA or something. Doesn't do well in cold temps because the size is so small. it weighs about 13 lbs and is a 720 cca. of course, it's not charged right now, so you'd have to charge it. Was planning to use it in the car, but then got lazy (and I need the money to pay off this stupid motor).

What I don't recommend is an Optima Red Top. I had one and it sucked after about 3 yrs. Had lots of issues of it dying. Won't ever buy another one. I've had good success with Sears Die Hard Golds, but that was long ago, so who knows how they do these days.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went on Consumer Reports to find my battery. Walmart MAXX had the highest rated battery, with an excellent guarantee and price. There is NOTHING crappy about it.

Yep another battery made by Johnson controls. Good battery just like the Costco one and the Advanced Auto one. Just pick one of the shelf with a good fresh date and you are good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Back from the dead :spin:

I just replaced my stock battery today with a gold duralast from the zone for $100. Just under 6 years and over 82k miles on the stock one. Still cranked well nearly all the time, except it slightly struggled on a recent 20 degree morning, so that was enough.

I got kind of worried pulling out of the zone with the new one, it was not fully charged and the car wouldn't hold idle, I had to keep goosing it to keep it from dying. Seems OK now tho.

I recently purchased my 06 with 81k on it. The battery looked to be the original and had a bulge in the side, so 5.5yrs and lots of miles later. I installed an interstate.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 4 months later...
I'm still using the original battery and it showed no signs of age last winter. But, I doubt it will last forever. It has lasted longer than any other car I have had, I think I've had this car longer than any other. I'm going to buy another subaru one since the original has done so well and I have some suby bucks lying around which makes it free...

I'm still using the original battery and it showed no signs of age last winter. But, I doubt it will last forever. It has lasted longer than any other car I have had, I think I've had this car longer than any other. I'm going to buy another subaru one since the original has done so well and I have some suby bucks lying around which makes it free...

Same here. I don't have a lot of miles on the battery, but there has been a lot of short trips and some pretty rough winters here in Iowa and the original battery has never failed to start the car. I contemplated a pre-emptive replacement but it still tests fine, just has some crud on the top that I am too lazy to clean off.

By far the best battery I've ever owned is an Odyssey Marine Battery. They are very pricey but very worth every penny. I can (and have) ran my stereo for over 5 hours and the engine fired right up after. My stereo isn't big or nothing but it pulls about 40 amps. I was impressed. I did pay over $360 for this battery but I've had it over 11 years now and it's been in 4 different vehicles. If you break it down it's cost me $32 a year to own this battery.

Definitely worth looking into for sure: http://www.odysseebattery.com

Here are the dimensions of what I have:

34/78 PC1500, 1500 CA, 800 CCA, 62Ah, L: 10.85" x W: 6.99" x H: 7.82", 49Lbs.

The great thing about these batteries is they are a non-spill design, yet they are not a gel cell battery.

Something to think about.

^^ Damn that thing is heavy! Out of the question for me. I wanted lightweight and inexpensive with OEM fit. Weight was a huge priority for me. Paid $67.99 18 months ago but looks like price has gone up a little.

I went with the Autozone 26R-VL. 27.8lbs, 540CCA. If it lasts me the full 6 years, that's $11/year to own. I'm happy if it lasts 3 years though. ;)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Same here. I don't have a lot of miles on the battery, but there has been a lot of short trips and some pretty rough winters here in Iowa and the original battery has never failed to start the car. I contemplated a pre-emptive replacement but it still tests fine, just has some crud on the top that I am too lazy to clean off.

Yeah. I'm surprised to still be running the stock battery in my 05. Never sounded weak in cranking except as expected on a couple of -10 to 0F mornings. 113k on the car...

Same here; Had to jump the car last week.

No problems since, but slow starts in this VT winter and has 78k on OE battery.

Thinking of the Optima, but not sure of red or yellow.

I got an Optima Yellowtop because I car camp a lot and thus do fairly deep discharges of the battery regularly. It's working well so far, after about a year. Time will tell. They ARE expensive though - mine was $150 and that was a pretty good deal and free shipping.

• 4 years later...
Got an Exide Nascar Select 3 years ago, still starts the car but it's leaking. Bought it at Monro, but there aren't any near me anymore. Think I'll just get a new Interstate battery at Costco for ~$80.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

To my knowledge there are 3 primary makers of batteries. Exide, Johnson Controls and East Penn, with the last being the biggest. There are also a lot of Chinese batteries now too. Some good, some pretty bad. Interstate is a brand of Johnson Controls. As for WallyMart, Cdn Tire, Sears and any other retailer, the batteries could be made by any of the above and may not be as good as their name-brand product so difficult to recommend. This is particularly true knowing the buying habits of some retailers. I've had the best luck with Interstate myself.

Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), MAXX (Walmart), Die Hard (Sears), DuraLast (Autozone), PROStart are ALL made by Johnson Controls.

Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.

Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India), Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar

Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries.

There is only one thing you need to know when buying a battery for your car. The freshness date! This date is placed (usually as a sticker) on any new battery in Month/Year format. If you don't see the date or if the date is older than 3-6 months then don't bother buying it.

FYI this goes for tires too. The date format is slightly different on tires but its the same principle :)

Agreed on the "freshness" of batteries. I would say if they've been sitting for more than 6 months without being conditioned, don't buy. Also a good reason to keep stored batteries topped up over winter.

I would still be careful with blanket statements about who makes whose batteries. There are ways to cost-reduce batteries and I'm sure retailers and OEMs explore these options on large purchasing commitments.

Archived