LegacyGT.com

How often do you change vehicles?

Ever since I purchased my first car back in 1992 I always had the irresistible desire to trade my vehicle in for something new after 2-3 years (and I buy new, not used).

My car history as an example:

1992 Geo Prizm

1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

1999 Mercury Cougar

2000 Mustang GT

2004 Subaru WRX

2005 Subaru Legacy GT

And now, in 2008, I'm getting that urge again. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there's nothing really out there that catches my eye this time. If I was smart I would keep my Legacy for several more years, have it paid off, and actually try and save money to put towards a home or other investment. Sadly, I'm not that wise and can't seem to buck this habit. :spin: I do commute to work, about 60 miles round trip each day, and tell myself that I need a reliable vehicle. One thing I do NOT want to deal with is being left on the side of the road due to an aging automobile. Psychologically to me, a vehicle with 60+ thousand miles is old and needs replacing.

So I'm curious as to what others car buying habits are and if many are as insane as I.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about "insane," but I have trouble holding onto something longer that three or so years.

I think I got into this habit when I owned Audis in the '80s and '90s -- they had that three-year full-coverage warranty back then (oil changes and everything), and it was a great excuse to upgrade every three years. And I agree with you -- reliability is king. Of course, that's a bit of an illusion with new cars, but at least they're not quite as likely to break down as beaters.

And since you're due for something new just now, remember: you can get great deals on Hummers! :p HPH

Since 1993, my car history is as follows:

1987 Acura Legend L Sedan

1995 Nissan Altima GXE

1988 Acura Legend LL Sedan

1994 BMW 325i Sedan

1994 BMW 325i Sedan and 1993 Acura NSX

2004 Acura TL and NSX

2003 BMW M3 Coupe

M3 and 1994 Acura Legend Sedan

M3, Legend and 1991 Acura NSX

M3 and NSX

M3, NSX and 2005 Subaru Outback XT

M3, NSX, Outback and 1988 BMW M5

Present: NSX, M5 and Outback.

I feel the need to change often aswell, not to something new though. Just something different.

2002- 1979 malibu(built 355, built tranny ford 9inch with 3.73s)

2003-1979 malibu, 1990 eclipse gsx, talon esi

2004-1996 formula, 1990 tsi

2005-1987 supra(changed just about everything engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, turbo kit=517rwhp) and 96 formula

2006-1987 supra, 2000 Trans Am, 1990 new yorker

2007- legacy GT, supra for a short while

2008- legacy GT, 2001 cbr600

Im 21 and yes i was 15 when i bought the malibu and spent most of 15 pulling the straight 6cylinder and drivetrain. And insurance was still 1200 every 6 months for just liability on what they thought was a 79 malibu with a 6 cylinder with 160kmiles on it lol

I've changed about every one-two years as well:

1991 Geo Prism

1972 Ford Pickup

2002 Mazda Protege

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

2005 Subaru WRX

2008 Subaru Legacy GT

I think I'll keep this one for a while though... who knows... I've already had it over a year and not tired of it yet.

92 Honda Accord

95 Honda Accord Coupe

64 Chevy Impala

99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T

90 Civic Wagon (SOHC VTEC swapped)

95 Cadillac Eldorado

06 LGT

05 G35 coupe

I used to go through different cars every 2 years or so. I feel I am very happy with the LGT and don't see it going anywhere for quite sometime. Especially with it's poor resale value :spin:

I keep my cars an average of 8-10 years, sometimes longer. Since Subaru no longer makes manual transmission wagons worth owning, my wife and I will probably keep our '05 WRX wagon and '05 LGT wagon that long too.

I recently sold my G35 Coupe that I only ownded for lightly over 4 years. That's the shortest period I've ever owned a car that I drove every day.

I recently sold my G35 Coupe that I only ownded for lightly over 4 years. That's the shortest period I've ever owned a car that I drove every day.

How come? Was there something about it you didn't like?

My current plan is to see what the pricing will be on the 09 WRXs. Probably wait until December since that's usually a great time for financing offers and rebates. I've also considered a Mustang GT again...people like to knock Ford, but the 2000 Mustang I had was a great vehicle.

I get a new car every 2 years or so. Just depends because most of the cars I drive I give to my younger siblings.

1997 Pontiac Grand AM SE(worst POS I've ever owned)

1997 Honda Accord EX

1997 Acura TL

2005 Legacy GT

Soon to be 2008 Legacy GT

I'll try to have this wagon for 6 years at least.

My last Acura was 7 years.

My Integra before that was 3 years and then it was stolen and totalled while I was away in Japan. A blessing in disguise really, as the insurance Co. gave me $2K more than I was planning on selling it for.:lol:

This is my 9th car and the newest one i've owned since a 91. I'll be hanging on to it for awhile!

The list if anyone is interested (or has heard of a Sapporo!!):

87 Olds Cutlass Cierra (v4)

80 Plymouth Sapporo

91 Nissan 240sx

90 Honda Accord

89 Toyota Tercel

91 VW Passat GL

88 Mercury Cougar

88 Olds Cutlass Cierra (v6)

Just because you buy cars often doesnt mean your loosing money. If you buy cars with something wrong or just cheap and fix or resell for more thats money well invested. I recently bought a saturn with 68kmiles with a blown head gasket for 800bucks. I replaced the gasket did a tune up and sold it for 5500, probably spent another 500 in parts so thats 1300. As for modding cars or just buying new ones all the time yes your loosing money but that doesnt mean your wasting it. Money is there to spend so spend on what makes you happy. Or you can spend it on what you need to spend it on and save the rest and live a boring life. GG

Since I was 16:

16: 92 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

17-18: 02 Honda Accord LX

18-19: 04 Infiniti G35 Coupe

19- : 05 Subaru Legacy GT

I'm 20 now, so we'll see how much longer I'll have it. I plan on unloading it by spring time next year.

Dude I have made bad investments and good ones since 1983

Used 1970 Chevelle Gold

Used 1973 Camaro Dark Red Metalic

New 1984 Chevette Red

Used 1984 Jeep renegade Gold

Used 1984 Volkswagon GTI Black

New 1887 Dodge Daytona Z Turbo Silver

Used 1984 944 Porshe Red

Used 1983 Audi Coupe 2+2 w/ Calloway Turbo Silver

New 1988 Volkswagon Golf 2 door White

Used 1985 Volkswagon GTI 2 door Black

New 1989 Dodge Ram PU Gold

Used 1969 Chevelle Flat Black

Used 1991 Dodge Ram250 Cargo Van White

Used 1987 Sabb Turbo 2 door Black W/ Tan leather

Used 1990 Toyota Four Runner Black

Used 1985 Volkswagon Golf 4 Door Met Blue

Good things started to happen in 97:

New 1997 Subaru Outback 5spd Green

New 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Auto Green

Used 2001 Subaru Outback Auto Green

Used 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Silver 5spd (Still Own this one, my wife drives it)

Used 2005 Subaru Outback XT Garnet Red 5spd (My Daily Driver)

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

first car lasted about a year and a half. second car i still have (it's been 4 years). third car is the legacy (it's been 1.5)

my mom drives the first car now. #2 is my daily. #3 is my money pit :p

havent really had bad decisions. mom's car is a celica that drives the same way today as it did when we bought it. 36 mpg, which is about what my aunt gets in her hybrid camry.

car for sale. PM me!

Archived