LegacyGT.com

Anyone own a Suzuki SX4? [car]

Anyone own one?

The PRM has started allowing competition in auto insurance. The good news is that regular insurance rates have gone down (although still high in Boston). The bad news is that it appears they've jacked the Commercial rates to make up for it. So my company Subaru H6 with Commercial insurance is $3,600 per year, up from $2,000, and versus $1,300 if I registered it myself - ouch! Along with higher tolls etc it's time for me to get a POV.

As we park on city streets, small size is a big plus and high mpg is desirable. I can still use the Subaru or one of the other company cars for trips. Even though I'm a relatively large, wide human, I've always enjoyed driving small cars.

The SX4 is available in a hatchback that fits taller humans, has a nice looking body style for what it is (designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro's ItalDesign) and is available in FWD or part-time AWD models. The AWD model is selectable between FWD, 95/5, and locked center differential. They don't get superlative mileage but still do better than the Subaru. It's only 163" long - shorter than a Golf, Nissan Versa, and almost as short as a Honda Fit. I like the Fit but they don't have a telescoping wheel until the 2009 model so driving position isn't great. I like the Yaris coupe as well, but they seem to be in short supply for obvious reasons.

There's a $250 "loyalty" rebate if you own another Suzuki (I have a V-Strom Enduro), and the dealers seem to have inventory. Anyone have a recent one? I understand this year's model has a higher final drive ratio to lower noise on the highway, one of the raps on the older models. It's an incredibly popular car worldwide, though not so well known on the states. I can buy anything I want just about, but a newer or expensive car (a BMW 5 series sedan was offered locally) takes a beating on city streets. If there was a nice GTI or R32 around that's actually not a bad choice and likely a lot more fun to drive, but the used choices aren't compelling at the moment. We have to buy a couple of company cars as well, though.

http://images.myride.com/images/vehicle/2007/Suzuki/SX4/staff/07.SuzukiSX4.1_%28400x300%29.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Here is a good review: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/suzuki-sx4/

I always thought that Subaru should have come to market with a car like this first and really dropped the ball. A car like this would really help to improve Subaru's lowsy fleet fuel economy. Maybe bring back the Subaru Justy in AWD flavor.

Thanks, the 2008 apparently had some upgrades to address the busy highway cruising, but as a commuter that's not a big concern.

This is what makes me mental about Subaru. It seems that "What makes a Subaru, a Subaru) is for the SOA marketing team to screw up the feature set on an annual basis.

The SX4’s on-demand AWD system is a particularly pukka party trick, reminiscent of Subarus of yore. For daily duty, the SX4 is a front-driver. Flip a switch near the handbrake and i-AWD kicks in. In this mode, 95% of the SX4’s torque is routed to the front wheels. Should either of the fronts lose purchase, up to 50% of the power is sent to the back wheels. If you get stuck in sand..., you can switch to full-time four wheel-drive and lock up the transfer case for an even split.

Looking at the side profile, as a goof I think I could get some 3-pointed stars and tell folks it a MB "ML120."

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I think I read that the 2009 model will have navigation system as standard equipment. Any word on the turbocharger kit from Suzuki?

From Suzuki:

BREA, Calif. (June 30, 2008) – After an overwhelming response to the company's April announcement that it will add standard navigation to the 2009 SX4 Sport and SX4 Crossover, American Suzuki Motor Corp. today revealed that it will produce a special edition version of the 2008 SX4 featuring standard navigation. Available in July, the Road TRIP edition of the 2008 SX4 Sport and front-wheel-drive version of the five-door SX4 Crossover marks the first time a new vehicle under $16,000 will offer navigation as standard equipment.

sx4 navagation

Referred to as the Suzuki TRIP (Travel, Real-time traffic, Information and Play), the SX4's navigation system is the result of a collaboration with Garmin and is available with a number of MSN Direct-enabled features, including real-time traffic, weather forecasts, news reports, stock quotes, movie times, local entertainment listings and a gas station finder capable of locating the lowest priced fuel in town.

The navigation system's flip-up 4.3-inch touch screen display is fully integrated into the vehicle's audio system, which results in all navigation commands being channeled through the SX4's audio system. The system also includes an MP3 player, Navteq mapping software and preloaded street maps that feature millions of points-of-interest, such as hotels, restaurants, gasoline stations, ATMs and more than 500 Suzuki dealership locations throughout the country.

"As the only vehicle under $16,000 to offer standard navigation, the 2009 SX4 has created quite a buzz in the industry and with consumers," said Mark Harano, president of American Suzuki Automotive Operations. "Since summer is all about travel, adventure and exploring the outside world, we wanted to capitalize on the enormous level of interest in this vehicle by getting a navigation-equipped SX4 out in time for summer driving season."

For drivers hitting the road this summer, a Travel Guide™ expansion module is also available that provides Fodor reviews and recommendations for restaurants, hotels, shopping, nightlife, sporting events and other tourist attractions.

The Road TRIP edition of the 2008 SX4 is scheduled to arrive in dealer showrooms in July and, including destination and handling charges, will be available for purchase starting at $15,999 for the SX4 Sport and front-wheel-drive version of the SX4 Crossover.

Quite remniscient of a Peugeot Super 2000 in that version. I like it.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Its a great little car. Its a big seller in Europe apparently because of its rally roots. If I was looking for a compact this would be the one.

Here's a little trivia, did you know that Suzuki rebadged the previous generation Swift and sold it as a Subaru Justy in certain markets in Europe? It had a CVT tranny.

I'm a fan of the SX4 and have considered getting one as a commuter car, but my wife hates it. :( What is it with women and their hatred of wagons and hatchbacks? :confused:

Not all women. My wife LOVES wagons as much as I do. Sorry, I got her first. ;) As long as we continue to only need one car, it will always be a wagon or hatch...period.

There is a sedan version

http://www.autospectator.com/uploads/Suzuki/2008/SX4/2008_Suzuki_SX4_sedan.jpg

Actually, looks quite nice in person.

That's what you get when you hire REAL designers. Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda... SUBARU!, are you listening?

It really is an attractive car for what it is. Looks much more expensive than it deserves to given the Suzuki badge.
Funny you say that!

The reason the car came to my attention is that I've been so impressed with the quality of my Dl650 V-Strom relative to the other motorcycles I've owned (BMW and Kawasaki).

The designer was ItalDesign, who've produced designs from my old Scirocco to the 2007 Mustang concept:

http://www.madle.org/ms07idstang.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

These things are popping up all over here.. (Rochester NY). We have a average annual snowfall of just over 100 inches, and a poor job market, so this seems to be a good deal for people wanting to spend less and retain awd.

That's what you get when you hire REAL designers. Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda... SUBARU!, are you listening?

:lol::lol: +1 Its hard to make something look as fugly as the new Impreza. Its a much better car but why so ugly?

I would recommend you consider the 09' Toyota Matrix AWD as well, as resale value will be much stronger than the SX4. I recently had a deal for a new matrix AWD at $17.5K, which is close to $3k below MSRP, but declined since they wouldn't give me a fair offer for my gas guzzling SUV.

I would recommend you consider the 09' Toyota Matrix AWD as well, as resale value will be much stronger than the SX4. I recently had a deal for a new matrix AWD at $17.5K, which is close to $3k below MSRP, but declined since they wouldn't give me a fair offer for my gas guzzling SUV.
I don't fit in it.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Subaru fights back! The Impreza hatch isn't much more expensive, and has 0% financing - we like that on company cars.

Outback has $1,000 to $1,500 off and 0%. Great time to be buying a car!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Great time to be buying a car!

If you have the money.

there are deals to be had, but the regular staples cost so much more, and wages aren't going up to compensate... in a budgetary sense, it isn't the greatest time to be buying a car.

That is why the cars are such deals. That is the way it works. When you have money, they want your money. When you don't have money, they want to give you deals, because they need money, too. :D

If you have the money.

there are deals to be had, but the regular staples cost so much more, and wages aren't going up to compensate... in a budgetary sense, it isn't the greatest time to be buying a car.

That is why the cars are such deals. That is the way it works. When you have money, they want your money. When you don't have money, they want to give you deals, because they need money, too. :D

We're buying one, maybe two for business. There are tax breaks to write most equipment off in a year instead of five. Zero percent financing means we can keep our cash to buy other stuff - or just keep our cash, period.

But we've been talking and the consensus is if we buy a new car it will be a true blue American car - made in USA, by an American-owned company. Both the Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion are extremely competitive against the Japanese mid-sized sedans, so it's not painful.

Still haven't seen or sat in a SX4, but may true to stop by a dealer next week and at least check it out.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived