LegacyGT.com

Whats your wideband solution?

PeterJMC

I've had my PLX's sensor mounted right behind the turbo for a couple months now, so far so good.

The way Subarus are laid out, that's gotta be well over 24 inches from the exhaust port. I can't see how the turbo would add to the danger... I'm guessing they put that in there since most turbo cars have the turbo mounted right next to the engine and it's easier to guesstimate the 24 inches that way.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought mine with the DF-5 AFR gauge, but I'm hoping to get it supported by a couple of open source projects so I can get rid of the gauge. I'm making decent progress, just need to tweak a couple things and hope that my code can be integrated with SawMill, and ported to java (C# now) then integrated with RomRaider.

Where are you guys running your wires into the car? Thru the firewall or the shifter area? Anyone got pics or is there a install thread I didn't see. Only thing I really saw was for boost gauges.

Look directly behind the intercooler above or next too the pitch stop mount bracket. It is real easy to push wires into the drivers footwell through there. I've got my LC-1 controller ziptied to the metal pipe that runs near the firewall under the TMIC. Then I just pushed the wires in and ran them over into the glovebox and center console area. There's plenty of room for multiple wires through that grommet. I've got all the wires for my LC-1 and wires for multiple gauges going through mine.

Let's kick this pig!

Look directly behind the intercooler above or next too the pitch stop mount bracket. It is real easy to push wires into the drivers footwell through there. I've got my LC-1 controller ziptied to the metal pipe that runs near the firewall under the TMIC. Then I just pushed the wires in and ran them over into the glovebox and center console area. There's plenty of room for multiple wires through that grommet. I've got all the wires for my LC-1 and wires for multiple gauges going through mine.

The grommet is off-center towards the driver's side. I ran shitload of wires thru there... like for 5 gauges.

Where did you hook up the electrical wiring? I assume some where inside the car.

I dont' want to use the gauge and only want to us the WB for logging. Then I will remove it and plug the bung.

I am going to do the same with my LM-1, I was thinking I could just route it out of the engine bay and through the window for the few hours of logging I will need to get the maf scaled correctly. Unless you are permanently leaving the wideband in the car, I do not see a good reason to go through the trouble of routing it.

Nope...the stock wideband is in the uppipe and while it is fine for off boost air/fuel ratio monitoring, it is useless once you hit boost (pressure gets too high in the Up).

an aftermarket wideband placed somewhere beyond the turbo is necessary if you want to see what is happening with your afr's while in boost.

Couldn't you just get the AFRs through the OBDII port with Cobb protuner or a similar program? Is this additional module necessary?

The stock O2 sensor does not work in "wide" AFR range. So yes wide range solution is necessary for tuning.

Think narrowband (0 - 1 volts) vs wideband (0 - 5 volts). The OEM narrowband (I believe it's a narrowband) is sufficient to keep the AFR safe for a stock-ish setup. For tuning a wideband isn't necessarily required, but I'd not attempt to tune without one.

Think narrowband (0 - 1 volts) vs wideband (0 - 5 volts). The OEM narrowband (I believe it's a narrowband) is sufficient to keep the AFR safe for a stock-ish setup. For tuning a wideband isn't necessarily required, but I'd not attempt to tune without one.

Stock sensor itself is wideband but it's not setup to operate in wide range. It's not about "stock-ish setup". Wide band is not used for car operation, just tuning/monitoring.

Archived