LegacyGT.com

JDM Goodness: Subaru Legacy STI S402

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not so fast - When Subaru means exclusive to the Japanese country, they mean EXCLUSIVE. If you can't document your 402 VIN # (read: actual, provable documents), you can't get the parts, plain and simple. You might be able to get something similarly designed by STI, but to get the actual 402-specific parts, not gonna happen. Just ask the folks who tried to buy Blitzen parts and build their USDM and/or OM Blitzen - didn't happen.

Just so you know... and that's not to say that big $$$$$ can't get around this, but think in the $100K range, not just in $5-15K range.

SBT

correct imundo! In Aust you cant even buy sti parts from the dealerships without your sti VIN#.

... but i don't think many ppl will go for it at that kinda pricing.

pricing, smicing...bring it and I'll buy it.

SBT (poised with check book in hand)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

ohh, $53k really?? It should be like $43k at the most. I guess they'd have to make more of them to make it cheaper.

Limited product runs are always more expensive, especially when you're building limited amounts of special-run components with which to build it out.

$53K - heck yeah, I'd buy it. I say this knowing that getting it here to the U.S. is not even in the realm of the possible, but I'd sell all of the Subes to get this one if they brought it - might even buy two. ;)

SBT

how much better is this car compared to the spec B we got?

or how much better is the the legacy STi better than the spec B?

legacy< GT< spec B< tuned by STI< STI< S402?

I'd say that's about right. The only edge the STI might hold, would be brute acceleration, but I'd bet that the S402 would hall it down and definitely outperform it into and out of the corners. I think this has a special front diff too, IIRC, but even if it doesn't it will be a handling beast. Knowing how fastidious Tatsumisan is about setting up his cars, I'm very confident that it would be an awesome ride to enjoy flat-out and cruising (or touring as he likes to call it).

SBT

how much better is this car compared to the spec B we got?

or how much better is the the legacy STi better than the spec B?

legacy< GT< spec B< tuned by STI< STI< S402?

I am not sure where you are getting your info.

Tuned by STI is an Australian and Japanese model only (aside from grey imports) and S402 is an STI model, and only available in Japan.

Legacy 2.0R -> 2.0i -> 2.0 GT -> 2.0 GT Spec B -> Tuned by STI/Blitzen/WR-Limited, or other limited edition -> 2.5 liter S402 by STI. (the only 2.5 turbo Legacy in the Japanese market. 2.5 is default in the Australian market, where the 2.0 turbo has been removed from that lineup.)

They also get 3.0R models, and a 3.0R Spec B with a 6-speed stick, as well as one year of the Blitzen model having the 3.0R rather than the 2.0

So yeah, not really comparable directly to the US lineup.

2.5i/Limited -> 3.0R -> 2.5GT Limited -> 3.0R Limited -> 2.5 GT Spec B.

and if you read the article, you would see that this S402 model in japan is A LOT more involved than the USDM spec B. I went through the changes a few posts back.

The suspension is much further augmented, the 6-piston Brembo brakes are likely not even on the same planet as the barely adequate stock USDM brakes, and the 2.5 engine gets a twin-scroll turbo, which no factory 2.5 turbo engine gets in Australia OR in the US. It also gets full STI dress treatment, and revised gear ratios in the 6-speed, and forged BBS wheels.

So. yeah, they are the same. Except different.

So. yeah, they are the same. Except different.

It's an Orange to Tangerine comparison, both citrus, one more pithy than the other, but yeah different.

SBT

LOL my honest take on the subject is this.

Subaru of America manufacture cars for the US market in the US (Indiana I believe) and do this for many reasons. Economies of scale, reduced freight costs, ease of compliance requirements/restrictions for the US market, political gain with the US in terms of trade. Subaru (Fuji Industries) invested their money in the Subaru US plant for these reasons and have achieved them to varying degrees of success (yes I know some will argue).

Cars like S401, 402 etc are high cost low production simple as that and only ever intended to be sold to purist in their home market to push sales of their other cars.

Either Subaru of America really cant be bothered bringing a S401, S402, Tuned by STI, Legacy STI or they prefer to focus on mass production and market sales. Take your pick either way I don't believe you will see this approach altered anytime soon.

LOL my honest take on the subject is this.

Subaru of America manufacture cars for the US market in the US (Indiana I believe) and do this for many reasons. Economies of scale, reduced freight costs, ease of compliance requirements/restrictions for the US market, political gain with the US in terms of trade. Subaru (Fuji Industries) invested their money in the Subaru US plant for these reasons and have achieved them to varying degrees of success (yes I know some will argue).

Cars like S401, 402 etc are high cost low production simple as that and only ever intended to be sold to purist in their home market to push sales of their other cars.

Either Subaru of America really cant be bothered bringing a S401, S402, Tuned by STI, Legacy STI or they prefer to focus on mass production and market sales. Take your pick either way I don't believe you will see this approach altered anytime soon.

Spoken like a beleagured U.S. consumer weary of the typical crappolla that the U.S. consumer gets. You sure you don't live here? I still don't see how/why AUS/NZ and other markets get this goodness and we don't/can't?. If Subaru of America truly understood the sales potential, which it's pretty obvious they don't, they would have another WRX phenomenon on their hands in the USDM.

SBT

"Just hope the next all-new generation of the Subaru Legacy — due out around 2012..."

I thought we were looking down the barrel of 2010 for the Legacy/Outback re-up.

Am I the only other one who noted that. I thought 2010 was the redesign date too...

Spoken like a beleagured U.S. consumer weary of the typical crappolla that the U.S. consumer gets. You sure you don't live here? I still don't see how/why AUS/NZ and other markets get this goodness and we don't/can't?. If Subaru of America truly understood the sales potential, which it's pretty obvious they don't, they would have another WRX phenomenon on their hands in the USDM.

SBT

Hahahahaha LOL Well you are spot on mate! Born in Georgia in 63, Grad University of Arkansas (Go Hogs) in 87, moved to Australia in 1988. Lived in Reno NV from 02-04.

I can and I will.. it is much too big.

I like it - it adds a bit more character to a very distintive car.

SBT

I love it and not much difference to mine really

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/MY07%20Liberty%20GTB%20STI/LiboLeather020.jpg

Are your drink holders accented in red lighting like the S402's?

SBT

I love it and not much difference to mine really

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/MY07%20Liberty%20GTB%20STI/LiboLeather020.jpg

You know, I was really drooling over the "Tuned by STi" that you folks get down undah. But now I've changed my mind - it sucks!

Because you don't have heated seats!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

You know, I was really drooling over the "Tuned by STi" that you folks get down undah. But now I've changed my mind - it sucks!

Because you don't have heated seats!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Minor nitpick. Easily remedied IMHO. ;)

SBT

Archived