LegacyGT.com

JDM Goodness: Subaru Legacy STI S402

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i want to trade my 08 LGT in for one

Really? I don't think it has enough power, I would like to see 350 crank HP (300whp), then I would want to trade. Handling is nice, but it comes at a price of driver comfort, I have kids and my ride can't be too rough. However, it still needs to be safe, I know with power mods suspension and brake mods need to follow.

Maybe this car is just for the hardcore legacy owners in japan, like the hardcore VW golfers who all bought the R32? Or the hardcore WRX fans who bought the S401 wrx?

Maybe SOA believes there are not enough devoted people who are willing to dish out so much for a japenese car and would rather get a german car for that kinda money?

Besides, how many of you are devoted to the subaru legacy enough to buy it over a similarly priced BMW?

Besides, how many of you are devoted to the subaru legacy enough to buy it over a similarly priced BMW?

Good point, I think for the money I would rather buy a 335xi and the wife would much rather drive that then the legacy.

The LGT is a great car for the money but I am not sure the legacy STI is worth it.

Devoted enough to say "in a pico-second"? And who's kidding who - to get that kind of performance out of a BMW, you're looking at another $30Gs.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

that is why we're not qualified to become "maniacs" or total devotion to one brand, unlike the japanese. There's a reason why they'd build this, and we don't fit the criteria.

It's not like the legacy has the devoted followers like the mustang/camaro people.

I don't think there's enough people who consider function over form to convince SOA to make it happen. If there was a huge demand for people who prefer a subaru over a BMW because of subaru's function, then maybe something like this will happen in the US, but since in the states, a BMW is still a BMW, it ain't gonna happen.

The BMW is just as much of a status symbol as it is a driver's car.

If I can get 90% of the performance of the xi in the Legacy for 75% of the price, I'd get the Legacy.

I much prefer the Subaru's interior and that is important to me too.

I don't want to sound like my wife is a stuck up snob, but the new BMW 3 series look great and you can't denie that. She loves our legacy and its plenty fast for her (vf 4018g upgrade + supporting mods) but she was happy with the car in stock form.

It's the same reason why hyundai doesn't build cars that compete with BMW, Benz.

They can build it, but no one will buy it cuz it's still a hyundai, and not a german uber sedan.

But then again, with hyundai's increasing market segment, and with their gamble with the Genesis and genesis coupe coming out, at least they're heading in the right direction.

what the hell is a picosecond? lol

one trillionth (10^-12) of a second; one thousandth of a nanosecond. Do you think that would be a fast enough decision? ;)

SBT

the interior of the 3 series is not a nice place to be? compared to the legacy? are you sure about that?

I am completly satisfied with the legacy limited interior, but i feel the BMW's interior is just as nice , if not a bit better.

The dash layout is flat and bland, the ergonomics are crap (even compared to the last gen 3 series) and whatever leather (or should I say pleather) seating surface that was in the one I sat in was atrocious..

This is really my biggest complaint with the new 3-series - that and the blase exterior design. I was actually embarassed by the interior and just how poorly executed it was.

As far as driving/handling, mostly BMW, but still not early 3-series dynamic. And the xi - fuggedaboutit. Not worth the price premium.

SBT

I have kids and my ride can't be too rough. However, it still needs to be safe, I know with power mods suspension and brake mods need to follow.

Re-read the article as i quote.

But then, as Tatsumi pointed out more than once, the S402 is a grand touring car, and it actually rides much better than the high-performance Subaru Legacy GT spec.B with its 18-inch tires.

and

We don't have to forgive anything about the brakes, though. They are phenomenally powerful, featuring Brembo-built, six-piston, monoblock front calipers and two-piston rear calipers. The S402 might be the first-ever Japanese sedan with a brake package that actually feels overengineered. One STi engineer later admitted that four-piston Brembos would have been more than adequate for the S402, but STi felt this car needed something special.

Re-read the article as i quote.

But then, as Tatsumi pointed out more than once, the S402 is a grand touring car, and it actually rides much better than the high-performance Subaru Legacy GT spec.B with its 18-inch tires.

and

We don't have to forgive anything about the brakes, though. They are phenomenally powerful, featuring Brembo-built, six-piston, monoblock front calipers and two-piston rear calipers. The S402 might be the first-ever Japanese sedan with a brake package that actually feels overengineered. One STi engineer later admitted that four-piston Brembos would have been more than adequate for the S402, but STi felt this car needed something special.

JDM STI goodness FTW.

SBT

"Just hope the next all-new generation of the Subaru Legacy — due out around 2012..."

I thought we were looking down the barrel of 2010 for the Legacy/Outback re-up.

Aside from that...

Holy Schnikeys!!!

semi-flexible strut bars, STI suspension linkages, dampers, springs, and anti-roll bars, frikken 6-piston brembos, forged BBS wheels under wide fenders...

and a twin-frikken-scroll 2.5 engine backed by a 6-speed with VTD...

WHY THE HELL CAN'T I BUY THIS????????????????????????

Short of that, I need a new job to start saving LOTS of money for upgrading a 09 Spec B to S402 specification.

Damn it. Not even 42 cars being sold in the US by special order. At least someone would buy them, and I could pick up one used later.

We could import everything, and put it on a 6MT Legacy GT Spec B.

But you are going to pay through the damn nose for shipping, as well as the RETAIL on the parts themselves, AND the labor to install them, after already having paid for the pile of take-off parts as part of the cost of the car.

It would be less expensive to build this car in a factory the first damn time.

Suspension setup, including different bilsteins, pinks, bars, arms, braces, etc... a few thousand dollars

Brembo 6-piston brakes. $3k plus, at least, if the parts can be bolted on directly... possible issue with rear brakes and parking brake, if fitting aftermarket kit...

APS or AVO twin-scroll exhaust headers, up-pipe, and turbocharger... several thousand dollars

JDM Spec B front end conversion, as well as flared fenders. a couple thousand at least.

(then might as well finish it with a real JDM rear bumper, rear fog, and rear tail light conversion, to make it look like it should.)

Full cat-back STI exhaust system.)

Plus the Engine tuning that it would require, as well as all of the little detail things...

This could easily top $12k in modifications, and probably getting more expensive as we speak, for shipping (cost of fuel for ocean liners and transport) and the deflating dollar, not to mention labor charges, or painting cost for aftermarket body parts...

Or they could build the car this way at SIA... at least a couple of them. But, nahhh, they wouldn't want to do something like that.

We could import everything, and put it on a 6MT Legacy GT Spec B.

But you are going to pay through the damn nose for shipping, as well as the RETAIL on the parts themselves, AND the labor to install them, after already having paid for the pile of take-off parts as part of the cost of the car.

It would be less expensive to build this car in a factory the first damn time.

Suspension setup, including different bilsteins, pinks, bars, arms, braces, etc... a few thousand dollars

Brembo 6-piston brakes. $3k plus, at least, if the parts can be bolted on directly... possible issue with rear brakes and parking brake, if fitting aftermarket kit...

APS or AVO twin-scroll exhaust headers, up-pipe, and turbocharger... several thousand dollars

JDM Spec B front end conversion, as well as flared fenders. a couple thousand at least.

(then might as well finish it with a real JDM rear bumper, rear fog, and rear tail light conversion, to make it look like it should.)

Full cat-back STI exhaust system.)

Plus the Engine tuning that it would require, as well as all of the little detail things...

This could easily top $12k in modifications, and probably getting more expensive as we speak, for shipping (cost of fuel for ocean liners and transport) and the deflating dollar, not to mention labor charges, or painting cost for aftermarket body parts...

Or they could build the car this way at SIA... at least a couple of them. But, nahhh, they wouldn't want to do something like that.

Not so fast - When Subaru means exclusive to the Japanese country, they mean EXCLUSIVE. If you can't document your 402 VIN # (read: actual, provable documents), you can't get the parts, plain and simple. You might be able to get something similarly designed by STI, but to get the actual 402-specific parts, not gonna happen. Just ask the folks who tried to buy Blitzen parts and build their USDM and/or OM Blitzen - didn't happen.

Just so you know... and that's not to say that big $$$$$ can't get around this, but think in the $100K range, not just in $5-15K range.

SBT

Not so fast - When Subaru means exclusive to the Japanese country, they mean EXCLUSIVE. If you can't document your 402 VIN # (read: actual, provable documents), you can't get the parts, plain and simple. You might be able to get something similarly designed by STI, but to get the actual 402-specific parts, not gonna happen. Just ask the folks who tried to buy Blitzen parts and build their USDM and/or OM Blitzen - didn't happen.

Just so you know... and that's not to say that big $$$$$ can't get around this, but think in the $100K range, not just in $5-15K range.

SBT

Even for things like strut bars or brakes?

Archived