LegacyGT.com

JDM Goodness: Subaru Legacy STI S402

Exchange rate is not the only calculation for the price of a car.

A US S402, even identical spec might cost less than the exchange rate might suggest, due to taxation, and other issues.

Going by the JDM price of other Legacy models, I don't think it would be much cheaper than today's exchange rate would suggest.

USDM:

2.5i Limited $24,095

2.5 GT Limited $28,295

3.0R Limited $31,295

JDM:

2.5i ¥2,556,750 ($24,600)

2.0 GT ¥3,318,000 ($31,900)

3.0R ¥3,370,500 ($32,400)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it's just me, but this is what I've always thought the Spec-B should be, but I think it would have trouble selling over 40k. At 40k its the steal of the century. At 50k I'll take a 33xxi with some extras

Maybe it's just me, but this is what I've always thought the Spec-B should be, but I think it would have trouble selling over 40k. At 40k its the steal of the century. At 50k I'll take a 33xxi with some extras

+1

+1 Eleventy Billion - exactly

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

1. I hate you Subaru for teasing us with this crap

2. Will this be produced in the US?

3. Again, I hate you subaru

4. If they pushed this engine to it's capabilities they could put out much higher performance and with all of that crap added on, could sell a real mean machine for $45K. It would undercut performance sedans like the m3, s4 etc in price, and trump the other cars like acura type S, cobra in performance.

i don't think you can give the escalade the credit for them...i give it to the ///M series, although it's been around long before that.

and I WANT THAT WAGON!

but those look almost identical to the escalade

http://www.gm.ca/images/vehicles/2007/cadillac/escalade/cadi_esca_gall_main_ext_01.jpg

Yeah, I don't get why they still insist on keeping the Impreza the most powerful horse in the stable... no reason to. Since S402 got the 2.5L engine (as opposed to 2.0L JDM Impreza SI), they could push this engine easily to 350 hp without reliability concerns, especially in Japan where cars never see high miles...

Yeah, I don't get why they still insist on keeping the Impreza the most powerful horse in the stable... no reason to.

I feel like this is so strange.

Impreza gets the most horsepower yet sometimes its addressed as boy racer and other times as economy vehicle and then you have your 800 limited editions. Um okay? Identity crisis?

Then you have Legacy that wants to be upscale so GT is only available in a limited trim (which is an oxymoron because how can a vehicle be limited if its in mass production and only offered in that trim, at least for the GT anyway). And then theres the spec. ed. which is the only N/A you can in a manual. What do people not like leather and stick shift with their non turbo verison of the Legacy? I certainly do. Its cheaper, uses less gas. I digress. LGT wants to be big, but its power is well below the STi. Thankfully, it hasnt gained too much weight over the year and its pretty quick.

And how the Impreza WRX has 20 less HP, weighs 300 lbs. less and still returns the same fuel economy as a MT LGT boggles my mind. But then why there are 224 HP Imprezas and Foresters with 4 speed automatics when a perfectly good 5 speed auto (and 6 speed manual for that matter) as well as a 243 HP version of the 2.5L are roaming the streets....well, it doesnt make sense.

So I have to wonder, does SOA need an industrial organization psychologist to produce more enticing vehicles? I'm available, I could leanrn I/O. I'm working on my second research project now. I'd even give them a freebie. Half the enthusiasts out there don't like the new STi.

Can't help but love the S402 despite the fact that none of us are likely to ever see it.

Interesting to see that they get a twin-scroll turbo, low-restriction exhaust and variable valve timing see the S402’s 2.5-litre boxer four to a healthy 210kW and 392Nm of torque, around 20kW more than the standard Legacy.

Considering the two grades of petrol are specified in the Japanese standard, premium grade (96 RON) and regular grade (89 RON minimum), the kw and Nmfigures are pretty damn impressive.

My 2.5 ltr Liberty tuned by sti runs on 98 RON and the figures are 194 kw and 350 Nm.

That is 281hp/289lb-ft. for the S402,

and 260hp/258lb-ft. for GTSPECB STI's car.

Both higher than the stock USDM 2.5 GT and GT Spec B, if the tests are comparable, which they may not be...

If Subastyle's estimations of the custom stage II ECU tune and aftermarket exhaust were correct when I bought my Legacy from him, it might actually be more powerful than these two. He was estimating between 290-300hp, and similar torque.(~220kW/~400Nm)

There isn't a 4-wheel dyno around here that I know of for a few hundred miles, so I don't have any documentation other than experience with a healthy kick in the back of the seat. Ironically, I bought and took delivery of the car about a week or so before he had a scheduled dyno session. oops. :D I have since widened the exhaust further, and the car has almost double the 25k miles it had when I bought it...

The potential that the S402 shows is quite remarkable. If Subaru leaves as much power left laying on the table as they usually do, there is a significant amount of power to be tuned into an engine like the S402's.

Plus it is pretty much de-facto proof that SOA could tune the Legacy to 280hp without much problem at all, if they wanted to. With SI-drive, they could probably do that, and still maintain the "I"ntelligent mode fuel economy, and have max power available under "S#."

Again... So much potential, and only somewhat realized, and not fully utilized.

I dont see why Subaru doesnt bring this to the USA. Obviously making these in large quantities wouldnt be the brightest thing.

But say 200-300 LSTI's sent to dealers would be a good thing

I agree. Even if they don't make them for another few years, that would give them time to sell off inventory if they don't sell as well as they want. I'm betting they will, especially if there won't be any more S models for a few years. It's been six years since the last one.

It'll never make it over here through SOA. Period. How long have we been screaming for something like this??? Right. Nope, ain't happening. Why? Warranty. Sooooo many people scream for warranty to cover this and cover that. Understandable, but when it comes to people abusing the warranty after racing or being stupid with the car and try to get it covered under warranty, that's when SOA pays.

This car has some high tech and low production items on it....something SOA probably sees as a liability when it comes to warranty and abusers.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

^^^ I agree it won't make it over here but I don't think the real problem is warranty. SOA has shown over and over again that they are very bottom line driven. How much money do you suppose SOA can make from 200-300 Legacy STI's if any? There are a lot of costs associated with adding new trim level to the existing model. It's not as simple as building them in Japan and ship them over. The car must meet the crash and emission standards here, so that's R&D money to make sure it does. You must have the infrastructures here to service and maintain them. That means you have to stock the special parts for this car. Parts such as the wider fenders, front bumper, twin-scroll turbo that no other USDM car uses, 6/2 pots Brembo's, BBS wheels and the list goes on. I just don't think the business case is there for SOA to bring these over.

Both higher than the stock USDM 2.5 GT and GT Spec B, if the tests are comparable, which they may not be...

If Subastyle's estimations of the custom stage II ECU tune and aftermarket exhaust were correct when I bought my Legacy from him, it might actually be more powerful than these two. He was estimating between 290-300hp, and similar torque.(~220kW/~400Nm)

There isn't a 4-wheel dyno around here that I know of for a few hundred miles, so I don't have any documentation other than experience with a healthy kick in the back of the seat. Ironically, I bought and took delivery of the car about a week or so before he had a scheduled dyno session. oops. :D

If you update your AP Firmware, you have a virtual dyno built into your performance metrics...

The Firmware update 1.2.6.2, 1.2.6.3, and 1.2.6.5 features the following:

- Added adjustable shift light in 'Live Data' (adjustment located under 'Settings')

- Added estimated peak horsepower/torque calculation under 'Perf. Data' ('Dynamometer') :cool:

- Added 'ECU Settings' with the ability to adjust RPM set points for launch-control and flat-foot shift features** :eek:

- Added monitors to 'Live Data' ...

- Fuel Trim (Short)

- Fuel Trim (Long)

- MAF Voltage

- Calculated Load

- Dynamic Advance Multiplier

- Improved accuracy and responsiveness for calculations under 'Live Data', 'Perf. Data' and 'Fuel Econ'

- Usability improvements including ...

- Main menu re-ordered to provide quick access to common tasks

- 'Reset ECU' and 'Read Codes' grouped under 'Troubleshooting'

- 'Live Data' monitor items re-ordered

- Improved 'Reset ECU' logic

- 07/08 Forester XT Automatic support

- Revised 2008 WRX Manual calibrations (AP-SUB-003 only)

- 2007 WRX and STI, changed `Live Data' to use `Learned Ign.' instead of `Dynamic Advance'. (AP-SUB-002 only)

**RPM set points can be adjusted ONLY if these features are enabled

within the current map

I haven't done this myself, but it looks like this update gives you HP/Torque and Launch Control/Flat Foot Shifting.

If you update your AP Firmware, you have a virtual dyno built into your performance metrics...

I haven't done this myself, but it looks like this update gives you HP/Torque and Launch Control/Flat Foot Shifting.

I think that might be for AccessPort v2.0 (new design, with color screen)

I have an older 1.0 AccessPort (black with green LCD) I am not sure it is as upgradeable, but I will certainly look into it.

There isn't a 4-wheel dyno around here that I know of for a few hundred miles, so I don't have any documentation other than experience with a healthy kick in the back of the seat. Ironically, I bought and took delivery of the car about a week or so before he had a scheduled dyno session. oops. :D I have since widened the exhaust further, and the car has almost double the 25k miles it had when I bought it...

The potential that the S402 shows is quite remarkable. If Subaru leaves as much power left laying on the table as they usually do, there is a significant amount of power to be tuned into an engine like the S402's.

Plus it is pretty much de-facto proof that SOA could tune the Legacy to 280hp without much problem at all, if they wanted to. With SI-drive, they could probably do that, and still maintain the "I"ntelligent mode fuel economy, and have max power available under "S#."

Again... So much potential, and only somewhat realized, and not fully utilized.

agree that there is plenty of potential spare with these cars. 07 GT Spec B's here in australia have acheived figure of 160-170 kw at the wheels once dump pipe and ecutek flash are done. My car is stock and got 132 kw at the wheel recently.

I still can't get over how bloomin' awesome those brakes are. One would think, for the '09 spec.B, that they'd **at least** give the car the black Brembos from the Impreza STI. They're "only" four-pots, but the car deserves better than standard.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived