LegacyGT.com

Front Wheel Bearing -- DIY Walkthrough

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about diagnosing which wheel bearing has failed. Listening while the car is in motion is a little difficult. I have a hum but I'm having a hard time finding out where it's coming from.

If I have no access to a lift or rollers, how can I tell which corner its coming from? Seems like I would probably have to just take it to a shop to diagnose?

I changed the front bearing yesterday, a few pics during the work:

Wheel removed

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/PhilTGT/Wheel%20bearing/DSC00843.jpg

Brake caliper removed

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/PhilTGT/Wheel%20bearing/DSC00845.jpg

Brake disc removed

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/PhilTGT/Wheel%20bearing/DSC00846.jpg

Using a "slammer" to pull the hub out

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/PhilTGT/Wheel%20bearing/DSC00847.jpg

Hub removed revealing the spline

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/PhilTGT/Wheel%20bearing/DSC00848.jpg

New hub vs old hub, notice the change in design

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/PhilTGT/Wheel%20bearing/DSC00849.jpg

New hub installed

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/PhilTGT/Wheel%20bearing/DSC00850.jpg

It is a pretty simple job, but the hub bolts were badly rusted and took alot of hammering to get them out, otherwise not hard at all.

Question about diagnosing which wheel bearing has failed. Listening while the car is in motion is a little difficult. I have a hum but I'm having a hard time finding out where it's coming from.

If I have no access to a lift or rollers, how can I tell which corner its coming from? Seems like I would probably have to just take it to a shop to diagnose?

The only certain way is to put the car on a lift and then run it in the air. Listen with a screwdriver against each hub to see which one is loudest.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any major difference for the process of replacing the rear wheel bearings vs. the front? I haven't seen any walkthroughs for the rears, but I assume it will be pretty similar.

Just got done disassembling my passenger rear hub. I was 87.4% sure that was the faulty one... ass soon as I got it off of the axle and turned it by hand, I knew I had found the culprit. It feels like they lubricated it with sand impregnated oil :(

I just wanted to chime in and answer my own question. Removal of the rear wheel bearing is identical in process to the front. I only came across two minor differences.

One is that the rear caliper bracket is held on by two 14mm bolts, rather than 17mm the fronts use. (makes sense when the front brakes handle the majority of the braking load).

Two, (I believe) the backing plate mentioned is integrated into the parking/emergency braking mechanism. It comes off easily as soon as the wheel bearing assembly is removed. (by easily i mean falls right the **&@#$ off)

to the OP great post.

It took about 40 minutes for dissassembly with hand tools and a floor jack. Most of the time was spend trying to see/find the bolts behind everything. A list would have have halved this. I'm guessing about 1:15 per wheel bearing with normal hand tools.

random qsn:

could we potentially replace the hub with an STi one to go to 114.3 PCD?

i'm at the point where i need to get mine done, but i'm guessing that subaru will not do it under warranty as i've got coil overs and a whole bunch of other stuff as far as handling goes...

random qsn:

could we potentially replace the hub with an STi one to go to 114.3 PCD?

i'm at the point where i need to get mine done, but i'm guessing that subaru will not do it under warranty as i've got coil overs and a whole bunch of other stuff as far as handling goes...

That depends on your dealer. My rear ones were done under warranty, but I have a good relationship with them, and had a lot of work done there in the past which I have paid for.

• 1 month later...
Anyone have a picture of this backing plate? I'm pretty sure I've got a bad bearing up front somewhere and am getting ready to replace it. Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before jumping in. Sounds like a real basic job. Also want to do this when I'm swapping in my new DBA rotors since the old ones will be off.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just called 2 dealers today to get some prices on the hub assembly and axle nut... got an interesting answer from the first...

In York - "This does not come as one unit" :eek:

Hub Housing (not complete) - $143.00 :eek: :eek:

Bearing - $87.40 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seal - $10

Seal - $12

Axle Nut - $4.00

Total = $256.40 + tax :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In Hanover - "Sure we have that in stock! But you won't need a new axle nut"

Hub Assemble (Complete) - $127.00

Axel Nut - $3.60

Total = $127 + tax :cool:

Just thought I'd share

I called the York dealer back and questioned the parts guy... he insisted that the front wheel bearing was not available as a complete assembly, and that the part number I have for the complete assembly is for the rear. Well the part number I gave him was the same number that the OP has pictured, and it matches what the Hanover dealer gave me.

• 3 months later...

So just to clarify the dealer will replace the rear bearing up to 100k on 05-06 legacy/outback but are the fronts only covered under 36k or 50k warranty? thanks in advance

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the PDF

WARNING: Remove the wheel before loosening the axle

nut. Failure to follow this rule may damage the

wheel bearings.

Would be very sad to damage a damaged bearing your about to trash!

• 6 months later...

These should be covered under the basic warranty or even the 100k extended warranty and should not be void because of minor modifications?

Is there any scheduled maintenance for the bearing or hub assembly on the LGT?

Some cars as you to repack hubs with grease after certain miles.

I've never seen anything for the subaru.

Also, how many miles do we expect to get from the bearings?

There is no scheduled maintenance on the wheel bearings. Both the front and rear ones are sold as a single bolt on item. You can not order the parts separately.

As for miles. Really depends on how much you are abusing it. Driving around normally? probably a long time. Autocross/track/silly stuff on winding roads, not as long.

At least it is super easy to change them out, unlike a WRX.

FYI for those who wanted to try the 5x114 ones, the STi ones will likely bolt up, but you will lose your ABS as the STi has a tone wheel, while the legacy has a magnetic pickup built into the hub assembly. Plus, the rear bolt on one is different from the front. In either case, the Tribeca ones could possibly work, but as far as I know, nobody has tried it out yet. I might in the future, haven't decided yet.

Edited by MeoW71