LegacyGT.com

Front Wheel Bearing -- DIY Walkthrough

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get mine from FredBeans, $160 shipped for the assembly and axle nut. They've always done right by me for all my OEM parts.

May just be a thing with the local dealers in my area, but they're always a fair amount more for just about everything.

For OEM parts, I mention to the parts manager that I was planning to get it for $xxx.xx from an online source (and have printed proof with me), but I'd rather do business local. Each time they've matched or undercut the online price.

Typically end-up paying less than online+shipping, even with taxes (unless high-dollar item), then on-line, with no taxes and shipping, is likely the best deal.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yep, just replied to the PM, but I used a hook pick and went around the inside edge of the seal where it meets the diff. I was able to get it out without damaging it at all. Apparently, I pushed it in too far the first time and it didn't seal properly

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the insight. Went to dealer to pick up axle nut. Not many dealers have it in stock. Got my driver's side wheel bearing done today. Couldnt break axle nut loose with a breaker bar and 3 ft extension from my jack handle. Ended up going to harbor freight to buy the 32mm impact socket and zipped it right off. As for the rotor, took quite a few bangs with my 4LB hammer I bought from harbor freight and it came right off. As for the 4 14mm wheel hub bolts, they're pain in the ass. Wasnt hard to break open with breaker bar but because of rust it took forever to back out the bolts, luckily i found a way to sneak my impact gun in there and cut down the labor and time tremendously. Then separating the wheelbearing/hub from the steering knuckle wasnt too bad. The 4LB hammer really came in handy but I wanted to try out the $9.99 air hammer I picked up from harbor freight, that made the job even easier.

Long story short, PB Blaster, air tools and big hammer really saved the day. Otherwise, god knows how long it would've taken me.

The humming noise was reduced but i still hear it, I guess I have to tackle the passenger side next week when the bearing comes in the mail.

You might have a rear that's bad. There was a service bulletin on the rear wheel bearings for these cars

Thanks for the suggestion but I already had both rear bearings replaced at the subaru dealer last year. Took advantage of the 8 years/100k miles warranty extension they had.

^That sucks.

I changed my right side half shaft and front wheel hub this weekend. Car feels/sounds much better now. I suspected the bearing but couldn't tell for sure until I pulled the axle and brake caliper and turned it. Slight scraping noise, so ordered a new bearing. Ball joint was a b!tch, but other than that pretty straight forward.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Tried to do the passenger side bearing yesterday and snapped the bottom caliper bracket bolt in half =(

http://i.imgur.com/vUDUJ7r.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/6j6WHkG.jpg

I could be wrong but, I don't recall a lock washer on those bolts ???

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

finished at a relaxed pace in >2hrs today. no s/t, no lift, and only hand + electric impact.

the hero? PBB & this little guy, $10 diamond wedge i had originally bought for an LBJ that looked like it belonged to the titanic (same duo helped to make very short work of that, also).

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/m/2/284818i_ts.jpg

holding by the business end turns it into a tight quarters precision hand-sledge, hub leapt off in minutes :) also perfect for one-tap axle-popping into trans.