LegacyGT.com

FX50: Watch out stock LGT owners

This fast SUV market seems to still be expanding:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/crossovers/2009_infiniti_fx50_short_take_road_test

"This new V-8 packs a mega-punch. We saw 60 mph flash past in 5.0 seconds in our FX50S, with the quarter-mile dispatched in 13.6 seconds at 104 mph"

"The FX generated 0.87 g on the skidpad, and braking from 70 mph was completed in a scant 161 feet."

not digging the body style. espially the headlights

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Heh heh - everybody's adding horsepower. There's a new Kia crossover on the way with fulltime AWD and the 370hp v8 from the Genesis sedan. It'll sell for just over half the price of the Infiniti. Less snob appeal for sure, but I'll bet it's within a tenth of the same acceleration numbers.

Autoblog - First Drive 2009 Infiniti FX

Fuel economy is a function of weight in this case. This thing is a heavy beast. The engine itself is more efficient while being more powerful, also. But when the vehicle is heavier, the laws of physics still apply.

What I posted there:

V8, 6MT or GTR's twin-clutch transaxle moved forward to be a transmission, ATTESSA ET-S, and the gadget stuff....

IN A G37 COUPE BODY!!!!

That would be a car! Tuned up 10 horsepower to an even 400, and aggressive front and rear bumper covers, black G37 headlights, and a more aggressive (not convex at the top edge) grille.

Brembos, BBS forged wheels, Dynamic suspension adjustments, and such...

And market it against the S5 and under the M3 V8. And a 4-door variant (both can be called G50) as well. M3 is going 4-door again, and S4 is going to the A5/S5 chassis, as well. It would also likely be nicer than the IS-F, and more fun than an AMG Mercedes.

C'Mon, Infiniti, you can do it! You can certainly do better than this ugly SUV thing.

The new 5.0L V8 from Nissan is a gem. It doesn't geet the greatest fuel economy in this application but what kind of fuel economy do you expect out of a 400 HP, 5000 lb, AWD vehicle:lol:

I expect that a RWD M or Q will get a bit better mileage and word is that the new engine still has a bit more power potential left on the table;):eek:

Better braking and grip than the LGT. Wouldn't be too surprised if it even beats the LGT in the slalom.

Aggressive suspension tuning and stock summer tires have something to do with that of course.

SRT-8 pulls low 60 MPH through the slalom. It weighs 4700 lbs but has wider and more aggressive rubber then FX50 if IIRC. I've witnessed a a 165 HP 2000 LGT pull away from a Jeep SRT-8 on a twisty Vermont mountain road.

Jeep SRT-8s are beasts accelerating out of turns.....

Just look at the latest auto sales figures. Sales fell 8 percent overall during the first quarter of 2008, and those of gas-guzzling large SUVs and pickup trucks dropped off a cliff, down 27 percent and 14 percent, respectively. High gas prices are forcing even SUV lovers to shift gears. Fed up with spending $100 five times a month to fill up his Chevrolet Suburban, auto parts exec Ron Gesquere recently bid $10,000 on eBay for a used Mini Cooper S. "I could make the payments on the Mini with the savings in gas," says the suburban Detroit resident.

The new 5.0L V8 from Nissan is a gem. It doesn't geet the greatest fuel economy in this application but what kind of fuel economy do you expect out of a 400 HP, 5000 lb, AWD vehicle:lol:

I expect that a RWD M or Q will get a bit better mileage and word is that the new engine still has a bit more power potential left on the table;):eek:

At 14/20 its better than the current 4.5L which is 13/17.

At 14/20 its better than the current 4.5L which is 13/17.

True enough but the new V8 is going to do little in getting Nissan/Infiniti to its 35.7 MPG car CAFE fleet average in 2015:lol:

The new 5L Nissan V8 engine is a gem though... Way more power and better fuel efficiency to boot. The next generation of cars are going to see some big price jumps.

I so badly want that 5.0 liter VVEL V8 in this car: (note, the pictured car DOES NOT have a V8 in it, as far as I know, no G37 has.)

This car was modified by our good freinds over at COBB, no less... :D

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/josh/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/g37s.JPG

Imagine that with a DOHC 32 valve V8 at full song, with a 6MT, or GT-R-like dual-clutch automated manual, and perhaps even ATESSA E-TS (sp?) AWD with a rear bias.

Freakin' sublime.

Mustang Shelby GT eat your heart out. I would so take this car with a VVEL V8 over a Challenger, Camaro, Mustang, V8 M3, or V8 S5. The latter two would probably still be more expensive.

Only the Aston Martin V8 Vantage is more drool-worthy as a V8 coupe, IMHO. Corvette Z06 may be faster, and lighter, but kinda old-news, and not as finely finished.

not digging the body style. espially the headlights

+1

Their new style direction, with more swoops and bulges, don't stand up to the originals they were based on.

The FX SUV, and the G35 sedan and coupe had really handsome, revolutionary designs when they first came out.

I love the current M-series sport sedans from Infiniti, but I fear what the next generation will look like...

Kinda like BMW's designs from 99 - 02/03. Awesome looking cars, pre-Bangle Treatment.

At least BMW calmed him down a bit on the newest 3-series/ M3 coupe.

I agree with some of the others. Other than an suv shutting you out every now and then just smile and wave cos you know they just used WAY more gas than you did to get that same amount of power and time.

with gas darn near $4/gal here right now I'm considering finding a way to get my foot out of it for a long time.Then it wont matter "whose faster"

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

We have an Infiniti FX 35, not the fastest super UTE FX50S etc...

Fuel economy is not the greatest, 16 mpg, but hey I can't get any better than 18 on my LGT...

Really like Infiniti, their fit and finish is really luxury, advanced, lots of technology embedded on it, really nice car...

Too bad it's TOO expensive!!! Otherwise it would be a no brainer!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

+1

Their new style direction, with more swoops and bulges, don't stand up to the originals they were based on.

The FX SUV, and the G35 sedan and coupe had really handsome, revolutionary designs when they first came out.

I love the current M-series sport sedans from Infiniti, but I fear what the next generation will look like...

Don't care for the new FX's styling but I love the 2nd gen G. The G37 coupe is so much better looking than the 1st gen G35 IMHO.

I don't see why LGT owners have to look out for a fast crossover or SUV? Its not the first one on the market and there are already some that are faster than the LGT in stock form. Plus they are completely different classes.

Lets face it, LGTs fall somewhere in the middle powerwise among high performance car segments.

Archived