LegacyGT.com

Project GPS - done!

arnox

I didn't get a chance to put the PDF instructions doc together yet, but here are some pictures of the final result. Let me know what you think, and if you'd actually like the doc on how to do this - otherwise I may skip the effort.

The gps behind the faceplate is a Magellan RoadMate 300.

IMG_6663.JPG.86af4ed62933d578e62e80de7585b59f.JPG

IMG_6668.jpg.3f78b9e48e836bbab18753b644b42697.jpg

I will stick to my idea of a 4" PDA (Pocket PC made by HP) and the external sensor mounted on the trunk lid. Wiring will be a bit challenging so I am interested in how you hid the wires.

Nice "face plate" job !

Really nice lookin job. How long did that take to fabricate? Also, i've heard it can get fairly warm in that area of the dash... is that going to be an issue?

Thank you all for supportive comments. I will definitely put together the "how to" guide for those who are looking for a nice little project.

The faceplate was done using fiberglass cloth (I don't remember the weight) about 8 layers of it. I then applied polyester resin. The heat should not be a problem - but I'll let you know if I'm wrong.

The project can be completed in about 4-6 days. It took me 3 weekends - and I was also figuring things out at the same time. I'll include all the details in the "how to" guide - hopefully soon!

I drove the car with the gps for the first time today, and it felt like a brand new car – all over again! I love it!

The performance of the RM 300 is excellent – and it works just like Hertz NeverLost. I do lots of business travel, so gps is essential to me, and so far, I’m very happy with the results.

omfg!!!! i <3 you!!! that looks professional!!! please hook the boards up with the how to guide!!!

im assuming u made the face plate then cut out the area for the gps right... so if we wanted to put in another gps there we could still make the face plate the same way just cut it out to fit a bigger one?

Excellent job! Now please do a write-up on the entire procedure and wiring. It would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

I didn't get a chance to put the PDF instructions doc together yet, but here are some pictures of the final result. Let me know what you think, and if you'd actually like the doc on how to do this - otherwise I may skip the effort.

The gps behind the faceplate is a Magellan RoadMate 300.

looks sweet! did you just have to remove the door? thought about putting my skyfi in there if it'll fit.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived