LegacyGT.com

Project GPS - done!

arnox

Arnox: Since your not receiving PM's.. I have seen your thread since the first post and this looked like a great possibility. I just rented a car from hertz with gps and now I am hooked. Since you travel a lot do you find the flash memory enough when travelling? Do you need to reload the maps often?

I am trying to decide between the Roadmate 300 and the 700.

Any suggestions anyone has let me know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the install of the Roadmate 300 in my LGT. My dremel skills are not quite as good as Arnox, but it works great. It is now installed and I am very satisfied with it. I will refab a new faceplate for the GPS and take less material off with the dremel. Its tough to get really accurate when cutting through 8 sheets of fiberglass so I may only use 5 sheets.I am also planning on relocating the speaker to another location. You can hear it, but I would like it a little louder.

I paid $399 for a refurb Roadmate 300 with warranty on Ebay. I paid $30 for the external antenna, and $50 for a 512 MB SD Card.

This project isnt for someone who is not handy, but as long as you have some skills you should be okay when following the posted walkthrough.

Really like what you've done with your Magellans and would do something similar myself but, with so many different cars, I need something that I can move between vehicles. So I'll stay with the GPS V for now for my vehicles (cars, bikes and kayak).

Well done to you both.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I saw an earlier post about the Magellan 700, are the sizes roughly the same, I've held my 700 up to the cubby and the dimmensions don't even look close. I have yet to read the "how to" but without actually enlarging the opening it doesn't appear that a 700 will fit. Which got me thinking about a "mounting bracket" that could slide in and out of the cuby.

I saw an earlier post about the Magellan 700, are the sizes roughly the same, I've held my 700 up to the cubby and the dimmensions don't even look close. I have yet to read the "how to" but without actually enlarging the opening it doesn't appear that a 700 will fit. Which got me thinking about a "mounting bracket" that could slide in and out of the cuby.

Now that's an idea that would have merit, even if you didn't have to move it back and forth between vehicles. You could custom mount it up and even put it at a better angle for viewing that way.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If you look at the directions it isnt obvious but you have to remove the back half of the Roadmate 300 casing. This would be imposible with the 700 model because of the hard drive. The problem is the depth of the cubby itself. You could use a bracket but it wouldnt be flush when its stored.

The 300 works very well and with a 512MB SD card I can store the whole east coast plus some mid western states. Not too bad. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I didn't get a chance to put the PDF instructions doc together yet, but here are some pictures of the final result. Let me know what you think, and if you'd actually like the doc on how to do this - otherwise I may skip the effort.

The gps behind the faceplate is a Magellan RoadMate 300.

how you liking the RoadMate 300? From one review, it seems that the navi's process in downloading the map into the sd card into the navi is difficulty and very sensitive to errors...

do you experience any difficulties with use or software management?

thanks!

http://www.gpsinformation.us/rm300/Magellan%20RM300%20map%20loading.html

"...Map Loading in the RoadMate 300 is so tedious and the resulting maps sufficiently difficult to use that we judge the Map Management software NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR ORDINARY PEOPLE TO USE. Having to leave small gaps between loaded 80meg areas in the maps is not acceptable. Having to manually switch between map sections as you drive from one map section to another is not acceptable. The time and hassle needed to load the maps is not acceptable. Having the computer lockup when you try and do something else while maps are loading is not acceptable. This is the only GPS car navigator unit we have reviewed where the maps were so difficult to install and use that we had to rate the system not acceptable. We sincerely hope that Magellan engineers will correct this problem right away..."

In Taiwan now...:spin:

how you liking the RoadMate 300? From one review, it seems that the navi's process in downloading the map into the sd card into the navi is difficulty and very sensitive to errors...

do you experience any difficulties with use or software management?

thanks!

http://www.gpsinformation.us/rm300/Magellan%20RM300%20map%20loading.html

"...Map Loading in the RoadMate 300 is so tedious and the resulting maps sufficiently difficult to use that we judge the Map Management software NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR ORDINARY PEOPLE TO USE. Having to leave small gaps between loaded 80meg areas in the maps is not acceptable. Having to manually switch between map sections as you drive from one map section to another is not acceptable. The time and hassle needed to load the maps is not acceptable. Having the computer lockup when you try and do something else while maps are loading is not acceptable. This is the only GPS car navigator unit we have reviewed where the maps were so difficult to install and use that we had to rate the system not acceptable. We sincerely hope that Magellan engineers will correct this problem right away..."

This is funny, and somewhat true but you will only have to it once. They're talking about the software that is used for transfering the map data onto your SD card. I remember having a few "what were they thinking?" moments while I was configuring the unit using my computer. Anyhow, in about an hour all was well, and my 1GB card had most of the country on it. Once you have the 300 in your car, you will love it.

The single best things about the 300 is the touch screen - I cannot overstate how important this is, especially when you're entering an address.

I've been using the 300 daily, and I haven't had a single problem with it. I had to take it out for a bios upgrade recently and the whole thing took about 10 minutes.

Given everything that I know about the 300 today, it would still be my choice for the job.

I managed to post a how-to PDF on this forum. It was since moved to Walkthroughs :: Basic Operation & Maintenance. You can still find it there.

Archived