Sound Deadening FAQ

Sands

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those of you who have done it before I have a question about what to use on door panels besides a layer of damping material. I need something that's closed-cell (not absorbing water) and it can't be too thick. Right now I found Overkill, Ensolite and Dynaliner, but dunno which to get. (ideally I want to put Luxury Liner pro but that stuff is too thick and make your door feel like it's filled with cement. LOL)

What should be put directly behind speakers to absorb back-wave noise? Close cell foam or mass vinyl?

Door speakers can be put inside of sealed baffles, but depending on speaker size it may be difficult to fit. The alternative is to seal around the perimeter of the speaker and be sure the whole door has a layer of MLV... this would be considered infinite baffle and is pretty common. Speakers are designed to function in an infinite baffle. Subwoofers, on the other hand, usually not.

lol

I meant something like this: http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html

Instead of spending more, use something else.

Unless you are going to deaden the rest of the door (outer and inner layers) I wouldn't bother. Back wave distortion on entry level speakers is hard to hear IMO.

I have competed in, and won many SQ comps without using dynaxorb, I have also won comps using dynaxorb.

It's all about the install mate.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've read the multiple posts of those attempting to quiet down the aftermarket exhuast drone with not much success by applying dampening materials to the rear seat/trunk area. Just wondering if anyone has every tried applying sound deadener actually under the car instead? Came across some heat deflecting/dampening material at the local performance auto parts store and started thinking to myself what if I installed this stuff underbody instead. Anyone ever used this stuff before?

http://www.thermotec.com/products/14600-suppressor-acoustical-heat-control-mat.html

Edited by Ferenczy33

Better off with adding a resonator and making the tips come past the bumper. Did underside and it wasn't a complete waste. I killed a few rattles and found out dynamat extreme did last on the heatshield above the stock/aftermarket mufflers and 2 years of road salting. No longer have the cars after 2 years each to verify it's still there but when I went stock I noticed the road noise was dropped noticeably over when I got em brand new. With the legacy I didn't explore that yet I just turned the subs up more and threw a resonator on. Road noise was cool with me I had more issues with the wind noise.

I just completed an install of all the material that Don at SoundDeadnerShowdown recommended for the Legacy Wagon. Overall it turned out excellent. I have about an 8 db drop in road noise at freeway speeds.

• 4 weeks later...
I just completed an install of all the material that Don at SoundDeadnerShowdown recommended for the Legacy Wagon. Overall it turned out excellent. I have about an 8 db drop in road noise at freeway speeds.

Thats a very impressive dB drop for something as large as a wagon. What all did you do and approx. how much weight did it add?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used any of these products in the shifter area? After I installed my Cobb short shifter, 2nd gear is noticeably louder and there is an annoying whine in 6th. Was curious if any of these products might cut the noise down.

I pretty well covered the area, minus the rectagle that the shifter comes up through. It DOES reduce the noise, but not by a lot. You still have that Subaru signature sound through the gear shifter.

Has anyone used any of these products in the shifter area? After I installed my Cobb short shifter, 2nd gear is noticeably louder and there is an annoying whine in 6th. Was curious if any of these products might cut the noise down.

I would be wary of killing too much of your trans sound. From my experience with my (MT) Impreza when 5th gear started to whine it was not long before I had to change the gear itself along with the throwout and fluid. It all depends if the whine is constant regardless of speed or if the whine fluctuates (gets louder) as you accelerate. I hope it is nothing for your sake, but thought I would share a similar story.

My 5th gear gave way at around 65K. Car was not modified or anything, just did a lot of interstate driving and the damn thing just gave up. For your sake I also hope that it is something minor. You may even try something as simple as swapping your trans fluid for a synthetic. Has made a big difference in mine.

I do a lot of highway driving and the car does see a lot of time in 6th, I hope it isn't anything out of the ordinary. It only became apparent after I installed the Cobb shifter. I think I will try a synthetic oil, hopefully that does the trick.

• 1 month later...
What should be put directly behind speakers to absorb back-wave noise? Close cell foam or mass vinyl?

In case anyone else is wondering, I have used Deflex pads from www.parts-express.com glued to the outter door skin (inside the door! :lol:) with contact cement. They did seem to help. Also making sure there is a layer of sound deadener on the outter door skin helps as well.

P/N: 268-242

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-242

I use contact cement to glue Volara foam to door panels/sound deadener as a top layer and it really helps road noise. I'm going to do the Legacy one of these days.....

Link to Volara that I have used before (same purpose as ensolite): http://www.foambymail.com/Volara.html

-Steve

Edited by sjwelna

• 4 weeks later...
Hey thburkart...Could you take pictures of your door setup with the rubber tape? I think this also is the biggest issue across all Subaru models

In for pictures of it on the car.

I'm having trouble picturing where this was installed too. Inside the door or around the outside edge. I'm thinking this is around the outside edges like a secondary weather seal. Wonder if it binds the door from closing at all?

I'm envisioning he installed it on top of or next to the current weatherstripping that is running along the sides and bottom of the door panel. Pictures would greatly help.

It looks like they carry this at Ace hardware, so I may run by and check it out.