LegacyGT.com

Parking Lights Won't Turn Off

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Normal cars let you turn your parking lights on via the headlight switch, thus eliminating the need for a special switch on top of the steering wheel.

Have you noticed that not one surface inside the cockpit doesn't have an indicator/switch/cubby hole/doo-hicky of some sort. Evidently this was the only spot left that didn't have something in it, and this was the only gadget they could come up with to fill the void.:rolleyes:

me and my buddy went to check out this wrx once at this small dealership. and i noticed the parking light switch was on looking through the window. no display on the odometer and no "security" flashing so i knew that the switch killed the battery. salesman comes out walking towards us with his hand in the air trying to unlock it for us with the keyless. he says to us "the battery in the remote is probably dead" and i chuckled inside. i then said to him, "i bet you the car's battery is dead". he then says, "i doubt it". he opens it up and tries to start it...nothing LOL. in the end i helped the guy out and showed him the parking light switch. i really should have bet him for the car LOL.

When I saw this thread I thought "here we go again."

When I saw it had over 30 posts I figured, "no... someone must have bumped one of the earlier threads."

When I saw the original post was only a few hours old I thought, "damn, I was right the first time. I wonder how long it will take before someone just gives this poor soul the answer."

When I saw the 2nd post I thought, "holy shit, there's hope for humanity."

Then came posts 3-5. :(

And then 9! :)

Welcome aboard, rs6er.

When I saw it had over 30 posts I figured, "no... someone must have bumped one of the earlier threads."

When I saw the original post was only a few hours old I thought, "damn, I was right the first time. I wonder how long it will take before someone just gives this poor soul the answer."

Welcome aboard, rs6er.

:lol: rs6er has been here for a while....

.... I just hope his son doesnt find this thread :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Welcome aboard, rs6er.

Eggzactly my feelings;):lol:

as for what the switch is for.....

maybe to turn on at night when pulled over on the shoulder of a road?

parking on a street w/ no street lights temporarily?

filling up at a gas station?

nobody is really sure exactly why...

But does the middle setting of the headlamp switch do the same thing?

It's a legal requirement in some countries to be able to turn on the parking lights with ignition off. Notice that some German also has this "feature" but it can be enabled by leaving the turn indicator to either left or right turn with ignition off.

Mercedes has had that function in the master light switch since the 60's. Turn it right one or two notches for normal light and left one or two for parking light on left or right side.

So the steering column switch isn't unique - but it can confuse some that aren't reading the manual or look at the interior of the car before driving it the first time...

453747.png

It's a legal requirement in some countries to be able to turn on the parking lights with ignition off. Notice that some German also has this "feature" but it can be enabled by leaving the turn indicator to either left or right turn with ignition off.

Mercedes has had that function in the master light switch since the 60's. Turn it right one or two notches for normal light and left one or two for parking light on left or right side.

So the steering column switch isn't unique - but it can confuse some that aren't reading the manual or look at the interior of the car before driving it the first time...

Rs6er here again. Hey, I might break a one day post thread record! I first faced this problem in my 911. If you turn the motor and lights off with the turn signal in the left or right position, the indicator light stays on.

• 11 months later...

omg lol, don't mean to revive a year old thread, but I just turned my parking lights on yesterday to test my angel eyes... forgot to turn them off... forgot i had ever turned them on.

Today was so puzzled as to why my taillights wouldn't turn off. So glad I found this thread lol :lol:

• 1 month later...
I'm a victim of the parking light won't turn off also. I decided to check this forum before disconnecting the battery to "reset" what ever I did (thought I did) while trying the "20 clicks" method of disabling the chime. And I've owned this car since '05. DOH

When I first got the car I wondered WTF it was for. So I turned it on, and realized what it did... So I never had the "why the hell won't my lights go off" moment.

But once when taking my dash apart and putting it back together, I hit the switch. Of course it was broad daylight, so when I reconnected the battery I didn't realize the lights were on. This was in the middle of winter, the next day I came out to a battery that was very slightly bloated (a wee bit frozen I guess...) and at 1.0v.

• 8 months later...

This thread is full of win because it reminded me of the first weeks with my LGT:

When my girl and I got our LGT (*NOT* the first Suby in my family) she flipped the switch by accident and couldn't figure it out how to turn the parking lights off.

"Baby what did you do?" "How come the lights won't go off" "You broke the new car?" "Seriously you are not allowed to drive it anymore" "I can't believe you"

:lol:

Thread full of WIN

Archived