LegacyGT.com

Ricer or Not, you make the call

Ricer or not, you make the call  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Ricer or not, you make the call

• No, It's a Porsche, they can do what ever they want and get away with it.
    • No Opinion
    • Yes, but just kinda
    • Yes, WTF was he thinking
    • YES, TAKE THAT IDIOT'S KEYS AWAY. He doesn't diserve a car like that

So, saw this on my way home and just though It would make a great converstaion piece here. I followed it for a protion of my comute home and it had a Wing on it so tall it was taller than the car it self.

porsche_ricer.jpg.e76a7ca15f2cfd0f8b2bcbaf14e165a7.jpg

515505585_porsche_ricer1.jpg.8fb037cf8baf64cda8497d4dddbacb28.jpg

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

leggtnut - you may want to spell your info below your avatar correctly. ;)

I will refer you to my signature :p;):):D

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Oh, just though I would add, he was on highway 85 in Saratoga, CA and got off of De Anza. Dought he was doing anything other than communting between work and home.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I can't see that providing significant downforce (other than the weight of the wing) unless your going 200mph. It seems way too big to be functional at highway/autox/light track speeds.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

It's rice, rice as hell. The plane of the wing looks damn near flat which means there would be almost no downforce. And the fact that it's so high up means he just wants to show it off. 10 bucks says that guy bought that car for REALLY cheap, like 10g's, on it's last leg, painted it and threw some wheels on it and calls it a race car.

All I can say is the guy looked like he was 70+ and the exhaust sounded great. Classic Boxer rumble.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

All I can say is the guy looked like he was 70+ and the exhaust sounded great. Classic Boxer rumble.

I wouldn't challenge that - there are a lot of old men that has been racing a lot during their years and they know all the tricks.

A high wing does not necessarily mean anything else than it will be more effective outside the turbulence caused by the car's body. This will be very effective on some tracks. Also notice the lip over the rear window. This may cause a lower wing to be ineffective.

As for being completely flat - no it isn't. It is relatively flat, but you don't want too much either or your front end will be too light and cause the car to understeer. A Porsche is also a car that is notorious for oversteering in moments when the driver loses concentration and a wing can handle a lot here. And with those sides there is additional support that can catch oversteering tendencies so they are also part of the equation.

If you see the same car around with different wings on now and then you will know that this is a racing guy that does it seriously. And probably hates to lose too.

If you had seen that wing on anything else than a Porsche it could well be a case of Rice.

Another high-winged Porsche:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080206.011/mini3/porsche-gt3-cup-s-race-car-revealed

And notice a few more:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Porsche_935

And even more:

http://www.911rallyracing.com/

As you can see there are a fair share of high wings on Porsches.

453747.png

By the way, there are high-winged Ferrari F40s as well...

http://www.nsxfiles.com/images/Vc98%20f40+nsx%20wing.jpg

It really all depends...but on these cars, I tend to think it is more functional than aesthetics. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a loose rear end either.

To get good downforce, you need the wing to be in 'clean' air. That wing was designed to have the airfoil in that 'clean' air, nothing rice about it. Now putting it on a street driven car...that is likely driven by the ego of the loose nut behind the wheel.

The white 993 at the bottom of the http://www.qv500.com/porsche993p7.php link is just the hawtness!

i don't think it's necessarily rice.....it should be good for track days, but for normal driving it's a bit excessive. i think porsches with wings this big was a sort of common thing in the 90s when they were in the le man or something.

and that F40 is not really considered a high wing. it's just slightly or "a tad bit" higher than the stock F40 wing cause that type of spoilers are usually found on the F40GTs which once raced in the Le Mans with the Mclaren F1s and that was part of the design.

Archived