LegacyGT.com

My Hidden Subwoofer Install

alaskajoel

The Curved part is probably just compressed cardboard (non corrigated) like you see when they make posts or concrete cylendars. Lots of packaging places sell them. Remember the old bass tubes? Those were cylendrical cardboard. You can't curve MDF.

So that box is MDF on top and cardboard in the bottom... you don't get any buzzing from the fact that it's under the carpet and on top of the tire?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is PL premium? Link?

I think the sonotube will not work. I looked at Home Depot today and toyed with one. There is know way that you can screw into it and have it hold at all. You could, screw through it into something like MDF though. Problem is that wont seal it. The tube also is not strong enough. It is strong in an outward fashion but not an inward one. Basically, the tube wont rupture from too much pressure inside but it will collapse when a strong vacuum is created.

I thought of two things that might work when I was in there. The sonotube could be used as a form to fiberglass around. It would work quite well I think. The other option was to use a large diameter PVC pipe as the round part. You could screw into it and there would be no need to fiberglass because it is ridged enough on its own. I'm going to go to a plumbing store to see if I can find some PVC in a large diameter like that.

PL premium:woowoo:

This will bond the sonotube to anything you want.

So that box is MDF on top and cardboard in the bottom... you don't get any buzzing from the fact that it's under the carpet and on top of the tire?

Whatever it is, it's solid. I've been pretty rough with the box during installation, and it didn't give at all. As for buzzing, or rattles, i hear nothing. At first, i heard the bolt that holds down the spare rattling, but i fixed it, and all i hear is bass :) I'm OCD, so rattles drive me NUTS!:spin::lol:

A Ballpark on price would be helpful. I'd recommend a top-mount or the sub, leaving room for a grille between the top and the cover, then let people buy their own grilles.

That would make it easier for me considering the grille will have to be specific to the woofer. I can just make the box so the woofer is mounted on the top layer of wood and then people can mount the grill over it.

Is that the consensus for everyone?

The group buy thread has been posted. Here is the link.....http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1870680#post1870680

grr...i can help! :lol: well, i have no build experience...but I do have an inside track on pvc...i run a pool store... but you didn't seem to see my other posts about helping and test fitting (which I see you don't need fitting) ...lol

grr...i can help! :lol: well, i have no build experience...but I do have an inside track on pvc...i run a pool store... but you didn't seem to see my other posts about helping and test fitting (which I see you don't need fitting) ...lol

lol, I was actually in the process of writing you a PM...I will need some help test fitting since I don't even own a LGT yet. What are you doing this weekend?

this weekend is completely jacked up..i'll be at the motorplex 1/4 m tomorrow night, my son's bday and dataloggin saturday, then mother's day sunday (i might be able to squeeze some time out of sunday since i already spent time with mom last weekend)

pm me what your schedule looks like for the sunday

I think that I would like to do this for 2 8" subs. I might not even need the bottom cylinder.

I need about .6-.7 cubes for 2 8" subs...

Mounting depth is probably going to be an issue. The tube is as much to add depth as airspace.

Mounting depth is probably going to be an issue. The tube is as much to add depth as airspace.

True. I have not checked the depth requirements of 8" subs. I was more thinking outloud.

• 8 months later...

How did you wire the amplifier to work with legacy setup?

I have the factory sub/amp.

My biggest reason for not going with a higher quality better sounding system was teh fact that the legacy seemed like such a pain to add aftermarket audio equipment...

after seeing this box... I'm interested in doing something...

thanks

A GROUP BUY FOR A BOX SIMILAR TO THE ONE SEEN HERE HAS BEEN CREATED ON THE FOLLOWING POST!:

PICTURES OF PROTOTYPE SOON TO FOLLOW!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1870838#post1870838

I have been debating for a while now on how to add a little more *oomph* to the factory system. The wicked CAS subwoofer box is really nice, but at 300 bucks, only .75 cu ft of space and still losing that corner of the trunk, i just couldn't convince myself to do it. This was the alternative - A box made by Duff's Auto Electronics in Pennsylvania. This place was originally doing boxes for WRXs and Outbacks, but they modified one for my legacy just fine.

As you can see, it fits over the spare tire and replaces the little styrofoam organizer that used to sit on top of it. I calculated it out to have just over .80 cu Ft of volume, and about 7 inches of mounting depth for a 10" subwoofer.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07317.jpg

Subwoofer is a JL Audio 10w3 which has a recommended box volume of .6 to .85. It sounds amazing, especially for a upwards firing box, that ultimately gets covered with carpet.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07318.jpg

And a pic with my trunk carpet back on:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07319.jpg

The amplifier (MTX TC3001...300 watts RMS, birthing sheet says 349) is mounted underneath the drivers seat, and is completely hidden when the seat is in a normal driving position.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07329.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07330.jpg

I had two goals in mind with this project -

1.) add the bass that the factory sub forgot to add

2.) Make it look like I don't have a system if someone *peeks* in my trunk.

My last car had two Alpine type S 10s, and I have to give it up to JL - This 10w3 out performs them by far in both SPL and SQ. If you're looking into a subwoofer, but don't want to sacrifice on trunk space or break the bank on a box (this was about 170 shipped), this is a great option for ya'll.

This MTX amp is a beast - they sell it stating 300 watts rms, but mine tests out to 345 or so. You can find them used online (ebay and the likes) for 70-80 bucks. Big selling point with it was that I could hide it under the seat.

You can use a typical line out converter for the amp, unless you find an amp with line level inputs and just tap your speakers for it. (works okay) My real suggestion is to find some sort of signal processor like a JL Cleansweep, or an MTX RE-Q...they will let you get the most out of your setup. I had the factory sub as well, and was planning on keeping it but after hearing 'real bass' the butt vibrator was lame so I ripped it out and sold it on ebay for a hundred bucks (paid for my box!)

PM Italyionstylion for info on the box - last I heard he was still willing to make them, and he did an AMAZING job. If he doesn't get back to you, PM me and i'll get a hold of him to see what he can do.

Joel,

Thanks for the info..

so the JL clean sweep is still the best idea...

I haven't really researched anything on the legacy audio.

Like I said I've done complete aftermarket systems but I would get into a new head unit so I have to utilize what I have. So even with a signal processor, an amp that uses speaker wire... or a complete clean sweep what can I use?

Can I use the harness from the factory sub and use that to tap into the head unit?

I have one of his boxes in my trunk, I love it. Build quality was excellent as well. However, I mounted my amp on the rear of the drivers side back seat.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Archived